Airshow London 2018

Discussion relating to 2018 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
AVI8R

Post by AVI8R » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:12 pm

Last year they left during the show but not sure how much time they'll have so maybe after.
0 x
Corey Betke

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:26 pm

Hope the weather holds off for today! Back at home now, and really enjoyed my time from Thursday-Saturday. I did feel like the flow to the Saturday show was slow and what not, especially compared to Friday night. Left before the Snowbirds because I had to get back home. As much as it pained me that I missed the Raptor fly, it was great that he did after all the effort he put into trying to get the jet to work on its gremlins. Good stuff!

Parking was a breeze. I can't remember the last time I got into a show an hour before flying started with zero waiting.

Static and flying aircraft were great. Obviously you hope for more passes by the non-demo aircraft, but that probably has a bunch of factors involved with the process.

Big thumbs up to Hook and his gang for making this fighter town for the week! I always love what they are able to bring in.

Can't wait for next year!
0 x
Dan Gagnon

AVI8R

Post by AVI8R » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:43 pm

I left after I heard the 22's weren't going to fly again, one or both were having the same problems again. Another crummy day but it's all from that tropical storm from last week, nothing that can be controlled. I love going to Facebook to read the comments about the weather.

Going to shoot the departures in the rain tomorrow before heading home.
0 x
Corey Betke

Bingofuel

Post by Bingofuel » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:33 pm

https://globalnews.ca/news/4437965/airs ... M980London

“We are going to be the largest military airshow in North America in the next three to five years, Airshow London board chair Jim Graham told 980 CFPL"

That's quite the statement. I guess the MacDill, Ft. Lauderdale, Barksdale, Arctic Thunder, JSOH Andrews, Pensacola, Oceana, Nellis, Miramar, and probably 10 other larger military Airshows are no longer going to exist in 3-5 years?
0 x

Faust

Post by Faust » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:16 am

Bingofuel wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:33 pm https://globalnews.ca/news/4437965/airs ... M980London

“We are going to be the largest military airshow in North America in the next three to five years, Airshow London board chair Jim Graham told 980 CFPL"

That's quite the statement. I guess the MacDill, Ft. Lauderdale, Barksdale, Arctic Thunder, JSOH Andrews, Pensacola, Oceana, Nellis, Miramar, and probably 10 other larger military Airshows are no longer going to exist in 3-5 years?
That is quite the statement. Given the commitment and abilities of the staff to arrange for some top-notch stuff the last three years running, I have to admit it doesn't sound like just empty words. I will admit I was very nervous about this year's show, given the (what I perceived as odd) marketing approach, but it did all come together. If they keep going like they are, it's within the realm of possibility.

I talked with a lot of the aircrew, and they all said that they had a great experience up here (this was Saturday, but I assume we didn't turn them off come Sunday) and would love to come back. That kind of good publicity will only help. London's got a long tradition of excellent airshows, it makes me proud to see Mr. Graham and his capable staff picking up the torch and not only running with it, but feeding it some gas for good measure!

I grew up in the "glory days" of the LIAS. That was when London had first after first after last after last in terms of both static and flying displays. First ES-3 on static, last non-British Vulcan demonstration (sniff), first static B-1 in Canada... you name it. I am glad to see that going on, with the first Paracommandos jump over foreign soil this past weekend. Back in those days, the tarmack was completely full of planes, and choppers were out on the grass. There were so many more than modern shows... if you were around back then, you know even this past weekend's show is strugling to compare, numbers-wise. But think of how many planes have retired since 1988 (let's say), how much gas costs and how many fewer flying units there are world over... All of a sudden, you realize that last year's and especially this year's shows are actually minor miracles. We have no RCAF units in London... and yet for a weekend, much of our tarmack was crammed with top-end military hardware. Hell, that EC-130J was an amazing surprise! There aren't many of those, and they're busy. To have one come here is probably an honour many people didn't realize. That's significant stuff. Twice now we've had five(!) 5th Generation fighters on our ramps. That's impressive street cred for a civilian airport!

No, I don't think those other airshows are going to stop. However, if Mr. Graham and his staff intend to live up to their words, that just means you can get a feeling for what they know they're competing against. Heck, even if it takes 10 years, I'll be there for ever year of the journey!

I'm just hoping to see even more international stuff, and I'm sure that given the opportunity the staff would love to have some European and maybe even Asian participation. You can never tell what they've got brewing... this year taught me that lesson.

I wish them good luck, and a hearty "Take my money!"

I also offer them my most sincere thanks; they've revived a great tradition for the city, and for family, as we've always gone to the Airshow with my dad when we were kids, and now can take him that he's older. Soon, the next generation will be coming with us. We never thought we'd get to live the "glory days" again. It seems we were wrong.

Congrats, and thanks again!
0 x

Zink2017

Post by Zink2017 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:01 pm

The F22s and one F35 are still sitting st the cargo area on apron 1( Tuesday at noon)
Attachments
20180911_115411.jpg
20180911_115411.jpg (341.13 KiB) Viewed 12533 times
0 x

Faust

Post by Faust » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:04 pm

Does anyone know what's wrong with those poor Raptors?

Is it an OBOGS issue? I seem to recall reading that the OBOGS has had a number of serious gremlins in it...

That's a long time for that much high-end iron to be hanging around!
0 x

Chuter

Post by Chuter » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:07 pm

Faust wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:04 pm Does anyone know what's wrong with those poor Raptors?

Is it an OBOGS issue? I seem to recall reading that the OBOGS has had a number of serious gremlins in it...

That's a long time for that much high-end iron to be hanging around!
Talking with crew on Sunday they told me they were having flight control issues keeping them from safely flying. Just waiting for the fix now & next attempt and getting out of here.
0 x

Faust

Post by Faust » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Oh, that does explain the excessive "exercise" I saw the pilot giving the plane on Saturday.

We were very lucky indeed to see the Raptor go on Saturday then.

Say, about 6:45-7:00 ish I heard a loud jet noise tonight. Was that by chance the F-22's or the F-35 taking off?
0 x

Chuter

Post by Chuter » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:29 pm

Faust wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:16 pm Oh, that does explain the excessive "exercise" I saw the pilot giving the plane on Saturday.

We were very lucky indeed to see the Raptor go on Saturday then.

Say, about 6:45-7:00 ish I heard a loud jet noise tonight. Was that by chance the F-22's or the F-35 taking off?
That would have been the F-35C.

A CF-18 is leaving tonight. Both F-22 Raptors are going to try and do some engine runs tonight - however it’s looking like they’re spending another weekend in London.
0 x

Return to “2018 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”