Abbotsford International Airshow 2018

Discussion relating to 2018 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Viper93

Post by Viper93 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:02 pm

So no Superhornet demo this year. I asked them, and thy confirmed they will not attend, because they don't fly at the same shows as the Blues do.
0 x

Frenetic Enigma

Post by Frenetic Enigma » Mon May 21, 2018 8:36 pm

No real surprise on the absence of the USN Super Hornet: makes sense not to be at the same shows as the Blues.

The intrigue now comes with what else might appear on the Abby flight plan: we've got a great start with the Blues, Snowbirds, CF-18 (hopefully the demo gets out of maintenance soon?), and the A-10, along with a good lineup of warbirds.
We know we're not seeing the Super Hornet, and it doesn't look like an F-22 or F-35 has a scheduled stop in Abbotsford (although a static is still possible?).
So, just a random thought: with the Luftwaffe A400 on static, is there any chance of a demo or static jet coming along with that plane? Just speculating, as it feels like there could be one more military jet demo possible, and obviously the statics list needs to be filled in over the next couple of months.
0 x

Viper93

Post by Viper93 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:08 pm

They will update the statics probably closer to showtime to avoid disappointment. I hope they bring tornadoes with the A-400. ASL had two F-22 Raptors on static, and with unlimited static, maybe we can some really cool stuff this year.
0 x

Chris Smallenberg

Post by Chris Smallenberg » Tue May 22, 2018 2:37 am

Viper93 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:02 pm So no Superhornet demo this year. I asked them, and thy confirmed they will not attend, because they don't fly at the same shows as the Blues do.
Another reason is they will not be performing anywhere after June this year. Even if Abbotsford didn't have the Blue Angels the Super Hornet would not be here this year. In fact VFA-122, which usually comes to Abbotsford, will not be flying any shows in 2018.
0 x

Bingofuel

Post by Bingofuel » Wed May 23, 2018 1:25 am

Vintage Wings of Canada Spitfire is confirmed for Abbotsford on their Facebook Page. Looks like they're doing Oshkosh, Comox, then Abby.
B-17 Sentimental Journey appears to be arriving in Abbotsford around August 6th on their Canadian tour...so Pretty early. Lots of days to buy a ride on the thing if it's gonna be there for a whole week.

Also Hearing that the Blue Angels will be coming straight from Seafair, and not heading back to Pensacola in between. As it stands right now look for them to arrive also on August 6th, or even earlier.

As for a Eurofighter, haven't heard anything yet. But the Airshow facebook page's teaser this week stating that Eurofighter is now an Airshow sponsor MAY be a good sign? Although plenty of Eurofighter stuff has been in the Airshow programs the last few years, and has been a sponsor of the ASDE event held at TRADEX before the show the past couple years.

Here's Hopin'!
0 x

Viper93

Post by Viper93 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:34 am

Hmmmm, so the airshow is teasing us with another possible act? On Facebook they say that a 3rd former Blue Angels aircraft could attend? Very interesting with all the teasing we are getting.
Last edited by Viper93 on Thu May 24, 2018 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Lancerb1b

Post by Lancerb1b » Tue May 29, 2018 6:31 pm

Hey everyone , I also saw in the abby facebook page , a comment from the airshow regarding they are close to a c-17 demo. Haven't seen that for quite a long time . Hope everyone is as excited during the airshow build up as I am . Here's hoping for a b-1 static .
0 x

Lancerb1b

Post by Lancerb1b » Tue May 29, 2018 6:43 pm

I should have stated , I found it in the review section of the abby Facebook page, first post comments.
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Wed May 30, 2018 4:57 pm

Viper93 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 1:34 am Hmmmm, so the airshow is teasing us with another possible act? On Facebook they say that a 3rd former Blue Angels aircraft could attend? Very interesting with all the teasing we are getting.
Don’t take my word for it, but I did hear rumours from a source about an A-4 possibly on static. It would also seem like the only plausible answer through the process of elimination. There haven’t been any Panthers, Cougars or Tigers flying in decades and to see an F-4 (Collings foundation) would probably blow the entire airshow budget.
0 x

LAXSPOTTER97

Post by LAXSPOTTER97 » Wed May 30, 2018 6:14 pm

Small bit of possible news here, the website has updated the F-15 caption by removing Portland from it. Could this possibly signal a different unit coming?
0 x

Return to “2018 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”