Abbotsford International Airshow 2018

Discussion relating to 2018 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:45 pm

I really do hope that the Static displays get refreshed very soon. It’s strange to know that we are almost in July and not a single RCAF aircraft is listed for static. When it comes to heavies, I am very well aware that not everything that has been confirmed has been posted to the public yet. This may not be too concerning for me, but it is very problematic for friends of mine that make the trip to Abbotsford from out of town.

Two of my friends in particular at the moment aren’t too sure yet about how to plan their weekend especially drawin this close to show time. They don’t know if it’s worth it yet at this point to come out a few days earlier to catch certain arrivals (which for them would mean having to pack for a longer stay, make more hotel arrangements and having to modify their personal schedules to be able to make it there earlier) they simply don’t have too much information to go off of.

I’m sure my acquaintances aren’t the only ones struggling to plan their week/weekend in Abbotsford because of the static line up. Hopefully this is brought to the attention of the airshow office because there is nothing worse than rushing to book for something that is merely days away.
0 x

lukas97

Post by lukas97 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:50 pm

The Schedule of Events page has been updated slightly to include the times of the Blue Angels, CF-18, and Snowbirds demonstrations for Friday and Sat/Sun.

The Blue Angels will fly at 4:30pm on Friday, prior to the "Opening Cermonies" and will be followed by the Snowbirds at 6pm and the CF-18 Twilight Demo at 8:30pm.

For the Day Shows (Sat/Sun) the Blues will fly at 2pm, the CF-18 at 3pm, and the Snowbirds close the show at 3:45pm. Of course, schedules change right up until flight time so these should just be viewed as an approximation.
0 x
Erickson Aviation Media

Frenetic Enigma

Post by Frenetic Enigma » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:46 pm

I, too, am hoping for some new information soon. I don't have the travel concerns, but just wondering what I'll be looking for on arrivals day, and at the show itself.
I still have the feeling there must be another performer or two to be added; is there any chance of another military jet demo?
Also, the statics definitely need an update - I like what we have so far (welcome back Galaxy!) but I'm hoping for a surprise or two. Again wondering if we could get an F-22 or F-35 on static (doubtful?) or something else accompanying the Luftwaffe A400?

I would think news/info will pick up soon.
0 x

cf18hornet

Post by cf18hornet » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:34 am

VIMY21 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:16 am I see abby has updated the statics on their website. I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but a T-34C Turbo Mentor has been added to the list. Would this be active military or private.
It could possibly belong to the NAS Whidbey Island flying club. I know they used to have T-34 (I don't think it was a Turbo mentor though) registered as civilian that the active aircrews and personnel could use for pleasure flying and also offer instruction for private, commercial, instrument rating, certified flight instructor and tail wheel endorsement. I'm not sure if they still have the flying club or not though.
Last edited by cf18hornet on Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
0 x

VIMY21

Post by VIMY21 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:23 am

cf18hornet wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:34 am
VIMY21 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:16 am I see abby has updated the statics on their website. I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but a T-34C Turbo Mentor has been added to the list. Would this be active military or private.
It could possibly belong to the NAS Whidbey Island flying club. I know they used to have T-34 (I don't think it was a Turbo mentor though) registered as civilian that the active aircrews and personnel could use for pleasure flying and also offer instruction for private, commercial, instrument rating, certified flight instructor and tail wheel endorsement. I'm not sure if they still have the flying club or not though.
Yeah I'm thinking if it was military they'd say so.
0 x

theairshowdude

Post by theairshowdude » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:07 am

The T-34C is private and local. Reg is N234CC and based at Paine.
0 x

theairshowdude

Post by theairshowdude » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:09 am

Bingofuel, do you have any hints for us this year as you did last year?
0 x

Speedbird2706

Post by Speedbird2706 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:36 pm

To me it would appear that the airshow is waiting for a confirmation that an aircraft will be attending rather than posting a blanket statics list like previous years and hearing about the disappointment that “XYZ” didn’t come, this is just a theory I have but it is weird that they didn’t even announce Canadian statics for Canada day.
0 x

JA Boomer

Post by JA Boomer » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:02 pm

The Sea King crew told me last year that they'd have both helicopters at the 2018 show. Looks like that may come true as the CH-148 Cyclone has just been announced for static display!
0 x

theairshowdude

Post by theairshowdude » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:35 pm

Speedbird2706 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:36 pm To me it would appear that the airshow is waiting for a confirmation that an aircraft will be attending rather than posting a blanket statics list like previous years and hearing about the disappointment that “XYZ” didn’t come, this is just a theory I have but it is weird that they didn’t even announce Canadian statics for Canada day.
I came to the same conclusion. After they got burned bad last year I'm sure they're really cautious this year. I wrote the show and they said they have tons coming and I hope they're right.
0 x

Return to “2018 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”