Abbotsford International Airshow 2018

Discussion relating to 2018 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Frenetic Enigma

Post by Frenetic Enigma » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:35 pm

A flying Skyhawk would certainly be an enjoyable blast from the past; maybe he could go up with one of the Blues as a tribute to the history of the Blue Angel aircraft?

On a tongue-in-cheek note: least exciting add to Statics ever would have to go to the Cessna.
Not there officially, but we can assume there'll be an F-16 on static (as listed on the 1st page of this thread). What else might there be for last month additions? Nothing? The rumoured C-17 and/or another heavy? A surprise or two?
A question for those who know much more than I do: are there any Luftwaffe fighters currently over in NA? I'm still holding on to that thin thread of hope that something(s) will accompany the A400. Only wishful thinking?
0 x

101voodoo

Post by 101voodoo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:03 pm

It will be nice to see a Skyhawk in the air again. I would imagine that there will be more RCAF static announcements , and 2 Sea kings will be another first. Hopefully the retro paint job will be one of them.
I wouldn't put to much hope in other German assets coming. I think the A400 is coming more because of Airbus and not the Luftwaffe. But you never know.
A flyby of an airliner from Airbus would be cool to see though.
Looks like Fat Albert is back in the air, though not demoing yet. Hopefully we will see him in the air here. I don't recall seeing a demo by him ever at Abby.
Looking forward to another great show!!
0 x

JA Boomer

Post by JA Boomer » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:16 pm

AirshowHawk wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:08 pm If we are lucky enough, we may just see 1 more jet added to the Flying portion of the show. ;)
A Skyhawk performance would be a real treat!
Frenetic Enigma wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:35 pm A flying Skyhawk would certainly be an enjoyable blast from the past; maybe he could go up with one of the Blues as a tribute to the history of the Blue Angel aircraft?
Wouldn't THAT be something!
Frenetic Enigma wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:35 pm Not there officially, but we can assume there'll be an F-16 on static (as listed on the 1st page of this thread).
Coming along with the NORAD formation aircraft?
Frenetic Enigma wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:35 pmWhat else might there be for last month additions? The rumoured C-17?
Didn't the airshow post on Facebook a month ago that they were close to securing a C-17 demo?
101voodoo wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:03 pm I would imagine that there will be more RCAF static announcements
You'd think there would have to be, aircraft like the Cormorant and Gonzo aren't listed yet but we typically see them every year.
101voodoo wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:03 pmand 2 Sea kings will be another first.
Has this been confirmed? If it's simply because the CH-124 is listed as both a static and flying demo remember that typically the CH-124, CH-149, CC-115, and CP-140 are pulled off the static line to perform and then returned to static. So it might be just one aircraft.
101voodoo wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:03 pmLooks like Fat Albert is back in the air, though not demoing yet.
Fingers crossed for this!
Last edited by JA Boomer on Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

101voodoo

Post by 101voodoo » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:31 pm

JA Boomer wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:16 pm
101voodoo wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:03 pmand 2 Sea kings will be another first.
Has this been confirmed? If it's simply because the CH-124 is listed as both a static and flying demo remember that typically the CH-124, CH-149, CC-115, and CP-140 are pulled off the static line to perform and then returned to static. So it might be just one aircraft.
No, just the way I read it I got the impression that 2 were coming. Could be totally off base on that though.
0 x

theairshowdude

Post by theairshowdude » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:05 pm

Frenetic Enigma wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:35 pm are there any Luftwaffe fighters currently over in NA? I'm still holding on to that thin thread of hope that something(s) will accompany the A400. Only wishful thinking?
There are Luftwaffe Tornados based in Holloman but I don't think those would come. Would be cool.
101voodoo wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:03 pm I wouldn't put to much hope in other German assets coming. I think the A400 is coming more because of Airbus and not the Luftwaffe.
It seems the A400 might not be coming because of Airbus because they will be in the area picking up equipment and soldiers that are attending EX Warrior’s Craft at CFB Suffield near Calgary. However I don't think we will get anymore foreigns for this year sadly.
0 x

Frenetic Enigma

Post by Frenetic Enigma » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:02 pm

JA Boomer wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:16 pm
Frenetic Enigma wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:35 pmWhat else might there be for last month additions? The rumoured C-17?
Didn't the airshow post on Facebook a month ago that they were close to securing a C-17 demo?
Yes, that was the "rumour" I was referring to from Facebook - no sign of it yet, but we can still hope.

I'm sure we'll see more of the usual RCAF statics (which I'm fine with), and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the Cyclone.

Wondering if we have any other adds to the statics coming from the US: we've got pretty good representation so far, but always hopeful there'll be a couple of late additions. Any thoughts on what those could be if they were to happen? I'd love to see the B-1B (of course), or maybe another past visitor returned like a USMC Harrier.
And, yes, unfortunately I fear you're all correct and there won't likely be any foreign additions to the show at this point in time.
0 x

lukas97

Post by lukas97 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:35 pm

There should be more added from the US. There are no restrictions on number of static display aircraft. We currently sit at 4 announced...(C-5M, MC-130J, A-10, and F-15C). That doesn't even make it to the restriction totals from last year!!! I'm not counting pairs because they didn't apply in years with restrictions. I would be disappointed if this was all we got for the static ramp. I'm sure there is more, but I get less sure with each passing day. Less than 4 weeks to go! Flying display looks excellent. I've been waiting my whole Abbotsford Airshow life to see the Blues here. Any additions in the air will just be a welcome cherry on top.
0 x
Erickson Aviation Media

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:35 am

lukas97 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:35 pm There should be more added from the US. There are no restrictions on number of static display aircraft. We currently sit at 4 announced...(C-5M, MC-130J, A-10, and F-15C). That doesn't even make it to the restriction totals from last year!!! I'm not counting pairs because they didn't apply in years with restrictions. I would be disappointed if this was all we got for the static ramp. I'm sure there is more, but I get less sure with each passing day. Less than 4 weeks to go! Flying display looks excellent. I've been waiting my whole Abbotsford Airshow life to see the Blues here. Any additions in the air will just be a welcome cherry on top.
The MC-130 is from the USMC not the USAF.

You have to understand the various branches that aircraft come from when it comes to the US/USAF. When we look at heavies for example we tend to get aircraft from the AFRC (Air Force Reserve Command) and when it comes to fighters generally they tend to come from units that are ANG (Air National Guard). The USMC, USCG and US Navy also have their own unique wing branches. Sometimes the restrictions aren't so much dependent on the country the aircraft are from as opposed to other things. When you factor in the location of a show, the availability of aircraft from specific units, and the cost to get those aircraft there along with accommodations for the crew, it becomes even harder for the organizers to get the aircraft they want for the budget and restrictions they have.

That being said I know for a fact there are some confirmed military static aircraft that have just simply not been announced yet. There are definitely more USAF and RCAF aircraft "confirmed" for this year and this isn't based off of rumors, this is from my direct sources that I have spoken with in recent days. I won't get too much into specifics because I have been asked not to, but even the least informed person will know that a tanker or two are on their way. ;)
Last edited by AirshowHawk on Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

LAXSPOTTER97

Post by LAXSPOTTER97 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:24 am

AirshowHawk wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:35 am
That being said I know for a fact there are some confirmed military static aircraft that have just simply not been announced yet. There are definitely more USAF and RCAF aircraft "confirmed" for this year and this isn't based off of rumors, this is from my direct sources that I have spoken with in recent days. I won't get too much into specifics because I have been asked not to, but even the least informed person will know that a tanker or two are on their way. ;)
mmmmmmmmm I like the sound of that.

Not sure if this has been posted here but the B17, Dragon Rapide and Avenger will be offering flights throughout the entire airshow weekend.
0 x

JA Boomer

Post by JA Boomer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:19 pm

AirshowHawk wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:35 am The MC-130 is from the USMC not the USAF.
The USMC does not operate the MC-130J, so perhaps you can clarify. The USMC only operates the KC-130 in T and J models. The airshow website has a USAF MC-130J Commando II (which would be from USAFSOC) listed.
AirshowHawk wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:35 am That being said I know for a fact there are some confirmed military static aircraft that have just simply not been announced yet. There are definitely more USAF and RCAF aircraft "confirmed" for this year and this isn't based off of rumors, this is from my direct sources that I have spoken with in recent days. I won't get too much into specifics because I have been asked not to, but even the least informed person will know that a tanker or two are on their way. ;)
So can you elaborate on why these confirmed statics haven't been made public. Are they trying to create suspense, are they confirmed but no documents have been formalized, something else?
0 x

Return to “2018 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”