Abbotsford International Airshow 2018

Discussion relating to 2018 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:28 pm

You are correct JA Boomer, I’ve been confusing the MC-130 with the KC-130 from the Marines. I did some double checking and it is in fact from a USAF branch, thanks for bringing that up to my attention.

In terms of why statics haven’t been announced yet, I am just as puzzled as you are. The simple answer I was given was that the information will be released at the appropriate times.

Personally I feel they also don’t want to take risks with the rampant rumours going around like last year because a lot of fans were quite upset when certain speculated aircraft didn’t pull through. Unfortunately the people working the phones and social media websites at the Airshow office were the ones that received the most backlash from upset people.

I’ve just been told to be patient and that is what I will do.
Last edited by AirshowHawk on Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

JA Boomer

Post by JA Boomer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:50 pm

AirshowHawk wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:28 pm In terms of why performers haven’t been announced yet, I am just as puzzled as you are. The simple answer I was given was that the information will be released at the appropriate times.

Personally I feel they also don’t want to take risks with the rampant rumours going around like last year because a lot of fans were quite upset when certain speculated aircraft didn’t pull through. Unfortunately the people working the phones and social media websites at the Airshow office were the ones that received the most backlash from upset people.

I’ve just been told to be patient and that is what I will do.
It all makes sense. They have to walk the balance between creating excitement, managing expectations, and making the performers happy. All while dealing with the superfans in the age of social media. Can't be easy. Hopefully some of what we keeners see as inefficiencies and mistakes are them just being cautious.

Remind me, what was rumored and/or cancelled last minute at last years' show?
0 x

JA Boomer

Post by JA Boomer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:54 pm

lukas97 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:35 pm I've been waiting my whole Abbotsford Airshow life to see the Blues here. Any additions in the air will just be a welcome cherry on top.
Their last trip to Abby must have been 2004. It wasn't a highlight, the day I went they cut their show short due to a jet malfunction in the air and Fat Albert never moved. So I am also looking forward to the Blues!
0 x

Frenetic Enigma

Post by Frenetic Enigma » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:59 pm

JA Boomer wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:50 pm
Remind me, what was rumored and/or cancelled last minute at last years' show?
From what I recall, it wasn't the last minute cancellations: it was the big blunder on their website where a number of statics were shown, including the B-1B and at least a couple of heavies if I'm not mistaken, and then none of those were apparently even confirmed when the pics went up. There was also the use of the Belgian (I think) F-16 picture which led us to believe we were getting that particular jet.
Finally, there were some teases here that I, for one, mistakenly thought were leading to appearances by the Tornado and/or Typhoon (the tease was along the lines of natural disasters/stormy weather). Yes, definitely the challenge of the social media age.
To that end, I'd be thrilled to have some sort of very unexpected arrival on Thursday. Not likely going to happen these days, but it would be a nice twist.

Having said that, we already have a great flying show this year, and we already know 2019 is off to a great start with the Thunderbirds scheduled to appear. I'm sure the statics list here has a few more additions. I'm guessing that Airshowhawk's confirmed appearances may not yet be confirmed confirmed. Or something like that. :D
0 x

theairshowdude

Post by theairshowdude » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:22 pm

AirshowHawk wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:28 pm In terms of why performers haven’t been announced yet, I am just as puzzled as you are. The simple answer I was given was that the information will be released at the appropriate times.
There are more performers to be announced? I'm hoping for one more fighter static beside the F-16 that was confirmed for the NORAD.
0 x

theairshowdude

Post by theairshowdude » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:39 pm

JA Boomer wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:50 pm Remind me, what was rumored and/or cancelled last minute at last years' show?
From what I remember the B-1B was never officially confirmed. The second RNLAF F-35 was cancelled by the Airshow due to "not enough room on the ramp". The E-6B, SH-60 and CC-177 all cancelled last minute. The Typhoon which was confirmed by Eurofighter and the RAF but not Abby was cancelled do to reassignment of the squadron. The Luftwaffe Tornado was speculation.
0 x

Bokimon

Post by Bokimon » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:01 pm

I miss the days when the B1B would do flyby demos and Air Canada would send in a heavy to do a few flybys as well.
Of course the stuff in the 80's is a whole different story.
I'm on the fence for this year, Maybe Friday evening show to try out the grandstand to see if the elevated view will help with the photography especially the Blues and any solo performers, otherwise I am relatively unimpressed with the items released to date. Hopefully it will sweeten up in the coming weeks as I did not prebuy my tix yet..
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:08 pm

Don't forget that earlier on last year a tentative list of performers was leaked which led to a lot of speculation and disappointment to those who weren't aware that the list was merely a rough outline of possibilities.

When it comes to flying acts we already have a fairly packed line up so I would not expect too many more flying act announcements. I think the focus is probably going to shift to statics now that we are just weeks away.
0 x

LAXSPOTTER97

Post by LAXSPOTTER97 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:35 pm

CH-149 added to static!
0 x

JA Boomer

Post by JA Boomer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:57 pm

Chris Smallenberg wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:26 pm Not to hijack this thread from RIAT conversation, but it should be noted that the runway at Abbotsford is not that far away from the crowd for safety reasons of the airshow audience but in order to keep the homes to the south of the airport out of the airshow box. Unfortunate, I agree, but a necessity for the Airshow's survival.
Chris, if the show line is farther away from the crowd, it is closer to the houses on the south side of Huntingdon, so how would that work?
0 x

Return to “2018 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”