Abbotsford International Airshow 2018

Discussion relating to 2018 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
LAXSPOTTER97

Post by LAXSPOTTER97 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:42 pm

JA Boomer wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:26 pm Very cool news! Does anyone know if the static Skyhawk will also be the one performing? If so, it will likely be removed from static, no?
It is the same jet, however its status on the static ramp remains unknown, I can see them doing a combo of both or just performing. Either way it will be a great addition to the lineup.
0 x

theairshowdude

Post by theairshowdude » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:38 pm

For those that care about bases abby has confirmed that the HC-144 will be coming from Corpus Christi.
0 x

LAXSPOTTER97

Post by LAXSPOTTER97 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:57 am

CP-140 confirmed for static!
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:32 am

JA Boomer wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:26 pm Very cool news! Does anyone know if the static Skyhawk will also be the one performing? If so, it will likely be removed from static, no?
To provide some insight, I believe the Skyhawk will be parked near the hotline and moved out for the demo as has been the case with other static and flying aircraft in the past.

Also the Skyhawk will likely only be flying Saturday and Sunday during the day shows so the Friday night show may be your best opportunity to catch it on static.
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:41 am

Static updates to be announced almost daily according to the website and from what I’ve been told from the folks at the AIAS.

Those of you who live in or near the Abbotsford area may remember that last year Abby revived the Airshow Week concept.

This year is slightly different in terms of events but the Airshow organizers have announced that they will feature a movie night at Mill Lake and have also announced other fun events for the family to enjoy (especially the kids!)

More information can be found here: https://www.abbotsfordairshow.com/free- ... lake-park/
Last edited by AirshowHawk on Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

theairshowdude

Post by theairshowdude » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:11 pm

AirshowHawk wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:41 am Static updates to be announced almost daily according to the website and from what I’ve been told from the folks at the AIAS.
This is great news. That many announcements sounds like abby will get back to a 2012 size show. Hopefully there are a few more heavies and 1 or 2 more fast movers. Really looking forward to the entire weekend.
0 x

Frenetic Enigma

Post by Frenetic Enigma » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:11 pm

theairshowdude wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:11 pm
AirshowHawk wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:41 am Static updates to be announced almost daily according to the website and from what I’ve been told from the folks at the AIAS.
This is great news. That many announcements sounds like abby will get back to a 2012 size show. Hopefully there are a few more heavies and 1 or 2 more fast movers. Really looking forward to the entire weekend.
I would be very happy to see almost daily announcements for the next couple of weeks: roughly ten more additions to the static lineup? Possible, I guess, and yes please!
My hope would be a couple more heavies: I think a tanker is likely, while a bomber is a wishful improbable at this point. The curiosity is with those "fast movers": to my count, we have one each of the CF-18, F-15, A-10, and probably F-16 on static. Sort of static will be the A-4 (although I'm much happier it'll be flying). I suspect we'll get the usual CT-155 arrival. But what else could we get is the mystery? The only candidates I can think of would be the USN Super Hornet, the F-22 and the F-35 - all of which, I believe, have been ruled out. Thoughts of any other possibilities?

Still looking like a really solid lineup - less than three weeks to arrivals day!
0 x

theairshowdude

Post by theairshowdude » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:42 am

Frenetic Enigma wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:11 pm
theairshowdude wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:11 pm
The only candidates I can think of would be the USN Super Hornet, the F-22 and the F-35 - all of which, I believe, have been ruled out.
Where and when have the USN Super Hornet, F-22 and F-35 been ruled out?
Thoughts of any other possibilities?
Besides those 3, other possibilities could be F-15E and T-38 not to mention a foreign that's based in the US.
0 x

Frenetic Enigma

Post by Frenetic Enigma » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:15 am

theairshowdude wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:42 am
The only candidates I can think of would be the USN Super Hornet, the F-22 and the F-35 - all of which, I believe, have been ruled out.
Where and when have the USN Super Hornet, F-22 and F-35 been ruled out?
Thoughts of any other possibilities?
Besides those 3, other possibilities could be F-15E and T-38 not to mention a foreign that's based in the US.
[/quote]

I thought I read (perhaps incorrectly) that the USN Super Hornet would not attend the same show as the Blue Angels. Maybe that's only as a flying demo. As for the F-22 and F-35, the AIAS responded to a negative review on FB by stating they'd had both planes here in the past few years, and hoped to have them again sometime in the future. Sounds like that would rule them out, but again more than happy to be wrong.

Would love to see a foreign based in the US make an appearance, but previous comments on this thread seemed to suggest that was unlikely.
Again, I am hopeful for any and all surprises, and would love to be wrong on all of these, and see any to all of them at Abby this year.
0 x

101voodoo

Post by 101voodoo » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:12 pm

Yes it is just a flying thing. A navy or air force tacdemo usually won't be at the same show as their demo team counterparts. I believe static aircraft are totally desperate from this
So, SAR Week is over, are we going to have fighter week and heavies week coming up? Fingers crossed.
Was talking with the Sea King crew at Boundary Bay yesterday and they told me that 2 aircraft are coming. The retro scheme is static and a grey bird is flying the demo. Their first Cyclone is being delivered at the beginning of August and that is what they are bringing to the show.
0 x

Return to “2018 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”