Abbotsford International Airshow 2018

Discussion relating to 2018 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:33 am

lukas97 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:03 am According to the new Airshow App, the following additions have been made to the static display:

US Navy - F/A-18 Superhornet
USANG C-130J Super Hercules

Interesting to note that the F-15 is no longer listed as a static display, however the F-15 is still listed as participating in the NORAD flight.

Also missing on the app is the USCG HC-144 Ocean Sentry. Possibly cancelled?
The app is quite new and is definitely not up to date with all the information just so you are aware. I wouldn’t take this as a bad sign yet.
0 x

Chris Smallenberg

Post by Chris Smallenberg » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:45 am

lukas97 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:03 am Also missing on the app is the USCG HC-144 Ocean Sentry. Possibly cancelled?
Since this is a fixed wing Coast Guard asset, it will cancel by default.
0 x

LAXSPOTTER97

Post by LAXSPOTTER97 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:51 am

I noticed other errors in the app such as the Blue Angels listed as only having a 13 minute performance. These errors are very understandable as I messaged the airshow on facebook and was told that it was just launched today and to give it time. Love these late confirmations though, cant wait for the show!!
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:31 am

Thought I would touch up on one of my previous questions regarding the Blue Angels arrival rumour.

It seems that August 7 is the day I’ve been told to expect them. Obviously as it is quite speculative, I would not put too much hope into it until someone here with information can provide it.

Expect the A-4 Skyhawk on Thursday. They will be updating their Facebook page quite accurately with information before they depart so keep an eye on that.

One thing that the Abbotsford Airshow website hasn’t done this year is provide the number of aircraft that will be attending. There will be a couple CF-18s at least 2 A-10s, 2 F-15s, 2 F-16s and from what I’ve heard there are atleast two Superhornets that will be on static.

I was at the airport on field today and was a little disappointed at what I saw in terms of set up for the Grandstand. From what it’s looking like, the Grandstand will be a very big obstruction in certain angels for those in the General Aviation area. I will be getting a better look tomorrow and the coming week and will be able to provide some better insight if this really is the case.
0 x

LAXSPOTTER97

Post by LAXSPOTTER97 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:34 am

AirshowHawk wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:31 am Thought I would touch up on one of my previous questions regarding the Blue Angels arrival rumour.

It seems that August 7 is the day I’ve been told to expect them. Obviously as it is quite speculative, I would not put too much hope into it until someone here with information can provide it.

Expect the A-4 Skyhawk on Thursday. They will be updating their Facebook page quite accurately with information before they depart so keep an eye on that.

One thing that the Abbotsford Airshow website hasn’t done this year is provide the number of aircraft that will be attending. There will be a couple CF-18s at least 2 A-10s, 2 F-15s, 2 F-16s and from what I’ve heard there are atleast two Superhornets that will be on static.

I was at the airport on field today and was a little disappointed at what I saw in terms of set up for the Grandstand. From what it’s looking like, the Grandstand will be a very big obstruction in certain angels for those in the General Aviation area. I will be getting a better look tomorrow and the coming week and will be able to provide some better insight if this really is the case.
Thanks for the info!
0 x

JA Boomer

Post by JA Boomer » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:02 pm

LAXSPOTTER97 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:51 am I noticed other errors in the app such as the Blue Angels listed as only having a 13 minute performance. These errors are very understandable as I messaged the airshow on facebook and was told that it was just launched today and to give it time.
C'mon now! We can't expect the airshow to have all their media current and coordinated! Sorry, I just couldn't help myself...
0 x

JA Boomer

Post by JA Boomer » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:05 pm

AirshowHawk wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:31 am I was at the airport on field today and was a little disappointed at what I saw in terms of set up for the Grandstand. From what it’s looking like, the Grandstand will be a very big obstruction in certain angels for those in the General Aviation area. I will be getting a better look tomorrow and the coming week and will be able to provide some better insight if this really is the case.
Is it set back any from the front of runway seating, like is the front of the grandstand at the back of runway seating? How big is this thing?
0 x

Chris Smallenberg

Post by Chris Smallenberg » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:38 pm

JA Boomer wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:05 pm Is it set back any from the front of runway seating, like is the front of the grandstand at the back of runway seating? How big is this thing?
Yes it appears to be at the back of the runway seating. If you are in the front 3/4 of the runway seating it should pose no issues. It is aligned with the center spoke vendor display area so there isn't any general admission seating directly behind it, but it is advertised as 3 storeys tall so I would think it is still going to be a huge obstruction for a large part of the general seating area. Here are a couple graphics from the web site to give an idea.
Attachments
grandstand.png
grandstand.png (238.33 KiB) Viewed 10136 times
grounds.png
grounds.png (324.74 KiB) Viewed 10136 times
0 x

JA Boomer

Post by JA Boomer » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:50 pm

Chris Smallenberg wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:38 pm Here are a couple graphics from the web site to give an idea.
Thanks Chris. So Runway Seating is no longer on both sides of the center spoke. So my usual Runway Seating section may not be where I think it is this year...

EDIT: Yup, website confirms Runway Seating sections 1 through 16 all on the west side. So where sections 10-12 used to be near the center spoke on the west side, they're now much closer to the hot-side taxiway. Will be a different view, maybe some new shots of the taxiway but the jet team solos will likely meet off to my left this year.
Last edited by JA Boomer on Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

LAXSPOTTER97

Post by LAXSPOTTER97 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:31 pm

HC-144 and F-15 added back to the Apps static list. No need to worry now.
0 x

Return to “2018 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”