Abbotsford International Airshow 2018

Discussion relating to 2018 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Chris Smallenberg

Post by Chris Smallenberg » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:27 pm

JA Boomer wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:57 pm
Viper93 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:21 pm TBM Avenger was flying 2 years ago. Not sure about last year
You sure? My pics show a Skyraider, Bearcat, Spitfire, Mustang, and two Harvards for the warbirds. Could have flown on the Saturday and I missed it I suppose.
Yeah the Avenger was static only two years ago. Arrived in formation with some other warbirds but was on the tarmac all weekend.
0 x

lukas97

Post by lukas97 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:28 am

Last time the A-10 flew a demo and HF in Abbotsford (2011), the A-1 Skyraider flew the Heritage Flight. Wouldn't be a bit surprised to see this happen again. Might explain why Val Halla is just static.
0 x
Erickson Aviation Media

Viper93

Post by Viper93 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:43 am

Ah, now I remember, I am confusing the Avenger with the P-47. The P-47 flew, but not the Avenger. Hopefully, this year, we will get to see an Avenger in the air.
Last edited by Viper93 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

yyz64

Post by yyz64 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:40 am

lukas97 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:28 am Last time the A-10 flew a demo and HF in Abbotsford (2011), the A-1 Skyraider flew the Heritage Flight. Wouldn't be a bit surprised to see this happen again. Might explain why Val Halla is just static.
The A-1 has been announced as the heritage flight aircraft according to the post in the acc heritage flight schedules
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:53 am

I believe the confusion might be due to the fact that last year we had an Avenger confirmed but it cancelled because of (to my knowledge) mechanical issues.

I can also very vividly confirm that we did not have a flying TBM in 2016.

Edit: Just wondering if anyone here shares the same passion about CYXX and it’s history as I do. I am quite intrigued by the Abbotsford Airports history and because of that throughout my years of exploring I have uncovered quite the collection of aircraft incidents that have CYXX in relation. One in particular that comes to mind is the crash of a TBM Avenger from Skyway Air (now Conair) back in the summer of 1961. However it seems information for one incident that took place here in Abbotsford (during an airshow) is not extensively available. The incident in particular that I speak of is the 1973 explosion of CF-101 Voodoo #101019. I am unable to uncover any photographs of the incident, but I am told by those who witnessed it that when the explosion occurred anyone with photography equipment had it set on the ejecting pilots and aftermath. I would love to hear from anyone with personal experience from this event.

Cheers,
Hawk
Last edited by AirshowHawk on Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

SnowbirdsFanatic

Post by SnowbirdsFanatic » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:40 pm

AirshowHawk wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:53 am I am quite intrigued by the Abbotsford Airports history and I speak of is the 1973 explosion of CF-101 Voodoo #101019. I am unable to uncover any photographs of the incident...
If this was one of the last recorded "incidents" at the Abootsford International Airshow it just goes to show how safe things are at this world class event. Be that as it may I would surmise that any type of negative publicity would be buried pretty deep and as a result it would be hard to locate anything without alot of digging. Personally I would try some news archives such as the Vancouver Sun or Province as they were the big pictorial news sources back then. The City of Abbotsford (previously Matsqui) may also have some archived stories / photos of the event. Failing that, it would the actual attendees who might have pics and stories of their accounts. Interesting indeed!

Gary
0 x
Gary 8-)

Chris Smallenberg

Post by Chris Smallenberg » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:31 pm

AirshowHawk wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:53 am I believe the confusion might be due to the fact that last year we had an Avenger confirmed but it cancelled because of (to my knowledge) mechanical issues.

I can also very vividly confirm that we did not have a flying TBM in 2016.

Edit: Just wondering if anyone here shares the same passion about CYXX and it’s history as I do. I am quite intrigued by the Abbotsford Airports history and because of that throughout my years of exploring I have uncovered quite the collection of aircraft incidents that have CYXX in relation. One in particular that comes to mind is the crash of a TBM Avenger from Skyway Air (now Conair) back in the summer of 1961. However it seems information for one incident that took place here in Abbotsford (during an airshow) is not extensively available. The incident in particular that I speak of is the 1973 explosion of CF-101 Voodoo #101019. I am unable to uncover any photographs of the incident, but I am told by those who witnessed it that when the explosion occurred anyone with photography equipment had it set on the ejecting pilots and aftermath. I would love to hear from anyone with personal experience from this event.

Cheers,
Hawk
The Voodoo incident happened a fair distance from the airport. They had completed a high speed pass from north to south (along the old showline) and were climbing out when it happened. The debris and pilots both landed in the U.S., probably at least a couple miles from the actual crowdline, so any photos wouldn't be great.

Have you seen this Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/RcafAbbotsford/

Chris
Last edited by Chris Smallenberg on Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

SnowbirdsFanatic

Post by SnowbirdsFanatic » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:15 pm

Sure wish we could see (invite?) the Patrouille de France team to come and fly their colors at Abbotsford!! That would be awesome to see!! :D
0 x
Gary 8-)

Dsotm

Post by Dsotm » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:35 am

Can anyone recommend a decent hotel in Abby. Just looking for something that is cheap and clean
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:17 pm

Thank you for sharing the link Chris, there are definitely some interesting stories and photos on that page.

I did uncover this post about the CF-101 incident a while ago and thought I’d share it with anyone who was interested. https://hamtopia.wordpress.com/tag/mcdo ... 01-voodoo/
Dsotm wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:35 am Can anyone recommend a decent hotel in Abby. Just looking for something that is cheap and clean
I would recommend the Abbotsford Hotel. It is located close to the airport and the value is good. I hear it has a tendency to get booked up around show time for these reasons so it may be wise to book in advance. http://abbotsfordhotel.place
0 x

Return to “2018 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”