Abbotsford International Airshow 2018

Discussion relating to 2018 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
LAXSPOTTER97

Post by LAXSPOTTER97 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:14 pm

LAXSPOTTER97 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:41 am
AirshowHawk wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:05 am It’s that time where cancellation start to occur, it happens every year and is exactly why the term tentative is extensively used.

Obviously the F-15s cancelling aren’t in the control of the Airshow Organizers as many of us understand. It’s not the first cancellation and probably won’t be the last. I hope the AIAS doesn’t get too much backlash from this cancellation but I’m sure someone will take time out of their day to try and accuse the hard working folks of putting on a “bad show” or something along those lines.

Let’s keep our fingers crossed for some more good news as there are still more statics to be announced. I know a lot of effort was put in trying to acquire a CC-177 for a demo. Although that may not happen, I’m still hoping we get an opportunity to see it on static.

On another note someone posted a screenshot of the Grandstand in the early stages of completion. I wish they they had left the seating just like that but the sides and back are completely covered with advertising boards and there’s no way you can see through it at certain angles.
I can see this being especially annoying during the Snowbirds and the Blue Angels low level passes. If you are someone that is planning on only getting general admission tickets, I’d suggest getting there early and finding a good place to view everything without it getting in your way too much.
Do you know if there’s an effort to get another F15 squadron to sub in?
Just following up, the show has told me they are working on finding a replacement squadron, fingers crossed.
0 x

JA Boomer

Post by JA Boomer » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:41 pm

LAXSPOTTER97 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:14 pm Just following up, the show has told me they are working on finding a replacement squadron, fingers crossed.
This is too bad, when the NORAD formation loses one of the three fighters, the excitement factor drops by several magnitudes. Not too mention the two Eagles on the static ramp. Wishing for the best of luck to the air show to find a quick replacement.

Too funny about the USCG HC-144, Chris called that one.

Is the California ANG C-130J announced via twitter this morning new or was it previously on the website?
0 x

Frenetic Enigma

Post by Frenetic Enigma » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:03 pm

JA Boomer wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:41 pm
LAXSPOTTER97 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:14 pm Just following up, the show has told me they are working on finding a replacement squadron, fingers crossed.
This is too bad, when the NORAD formation loses one of the three fighters, the excitement factor drops by several magnitudes. Not too mention the two Eagles on the static ramp. Wishing for the best of luck to the air show to find a quick replacement.

Too funny about the USCG HC-144, Chris called that one.

Is the California ANG C-130J announced via twitter this morning new or was it previously on the website?
I believe the ANG-C130J is new to the website, but was the other static "leaked" by the app earlier in the week (along with the Super Hornet).
I'm not particularly fussed by the HC-144 cancellation, but do wonder why it was so easy to predict? USCG not reliable with this sort of commitment?

The potential loss of the F-15s, however, is a major blow. Not only one of the stars of the static display, it does greatly diminish the NORAD formation as the F-15 rarely flies during the show, and it was the participant (in my mind) that made the NORAD demo the second biggest draw at this year's show for regular attendees (after the obvious return of the Blues).
I know the AIAS has no control over this cancellation. Their challenge now is to see if they have the resources/connections to find a replacement squadron, or a different "star" attraction. Here's hoping for better news in these final few days before arrivals!
Last edited by Frenetic Enigma on Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

theairshowdude

Post by theairshowdude » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:57 pm

The F-15's potentially not coming is a huge blow imo. I was looking forward to the NORAD flyby the most and if the F-15 isn't in it then that will really be a shame but I do hope abby goes ahead with the flyby. I'm staying cautiously optimistic that they can get a replacement with so many F-15 bases in the west I'm sure they'll probably find something.

As for the Super Hornet, Abby told me this morning that VFA-122 was the squadron coming.
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:50 am

I don’t want to be the bearer of bad news but it’s more than likely that we won’t get a “replacement squadron” to fill in for the Oregon F-15Cs this year. The Airshow folks are working on getting some assets to fill the gap but being this close to show date, we’ll be lucky to even get some extra F-16s.

Don’t give up yet though. The NORAD flight will still happen with the F-16 if what I’m being told is accurate.

Edit: Forgot to mention that August 6 will definitely see some Blue Angels in Abby as number 7 aircraft is expected to arrive the day after Seafair. Fingers crosses the rest of the team also makes it that day. I believe the Snowbirds are also due for an early arrival this year compared to last year as they will likely depart right after Nanaimo on the 8th.

Apologize for the multiple further edits, had to fix some spelling issues and had to fix my error of stating that Snowbirds would be coming from Vanderhoof, they will be coming from Nanaimo on the 8th.
Last edited by AirshowHawk on Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:51 am, edited 6 times in total.
0 x

cf18hornet

Post by cf18hornet » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:29 pm

All the Blue Angels are flying in Monday. They we be arriving in three phases. First will be the #7 jet, secondly will be the rest of the team then lastly the maintenance team. Still no times as of yet.

Mark
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:40 pm

cf18hornet wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:29 pm All the Blue Angels are flying in Monday. They we be arriving in three phases. First will be the #7 jet, secondly will be the rest of the team then lastly the maintenance team. Still no times as of yet.

Mark
Great to know! Thanks for sharing the information.
0 x

cf18hornet

Post by cf18hornet » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:47 pm

Great to know! Thanks for sharing the information.
[/quote]

And it if doesn’t happen for some reason please don’t hate me ;)

I’ve got a friend in Seattle that is hopefully going to message me when they are about to depart BoeingField so then I’ll post it on here that they’re on there way here. It will be short notice of their arrival since we’re so close to Seattle but hope it will help.
Last edited by cf18hornet on Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Bingofuel

Post by Bingofuel » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:49 am

#7 Jet around 8am tomorrow

Rest of team with Fat Albert between 11-noon I’m told

A-10 demo team Tuesday morning

Snowbirds Thursday morning. Most other performers on Thursday as well. Looks like about half of the statics arrive on Friday before the show. C5 Thursday
Last edited by Bingofuel on Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:52 am

CF-18's last visit was Vanderhoof today before Abbotsford. I hear they may be here as early as Tuesday.
0 x

Return to “2018 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”