Abbotsford International Airshow 2018

Discussion relating to 2018 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
theairshowdude

Post by theairshowdude » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:09 pm

Frenetic Enigma wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:00 pm
theairshowdude wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:57 pm
Frenetic Enigma wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:52 pm Downtown Van/PNE just got a flyover - didn't get a good look, but my guess is the CF-18 demo?

If so, should be landing in Abby right about now.
It was a Blue Angel
Okay, that makes sense. Too bad the whole team didn't do an English Bay/Kits flyby.
That would've been cool. I knew they would do a flyby of the city but I thought it would've been the whole team.
0 x

Frenetic Enigma

Post by Frenetic Enigma » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:16 pm

theairshowdude wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:09 pm
theairshowdude wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:57 pm

It was a Blue Angel
Okay, that makes sense. Too bad the whole team didn't do an English Bay/Kits flyby.
That would've been cool. I knew they would do a flyby of the city but I thought it would've been the whole team.
I'm wondering now if it was a media flight - a lucky journalist getting to go for quite the ride.
0 x

theairshowdude

Post by theairshowdude » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:24 pm

Frenetic Enigma wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:16 pm
theairshowdude wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:09 pm

I'm wondering now if it was a media flight - a lucky journalist getting to go for quite the ride.
It could've been
0 x

cf18hornet

Post by cf18hornet » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:16 am

It was a media flight. There were three of them today. One at 10:00, one at noon and the last at 2:00.
0 x

Aki Suzuki

Post by Aki Suzuki » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:22 am

Hi everybody,

Getting excited for the weekend?

Well, I am but kind of depressed now because with couple of other fellows, I got kicked out from the spot south of RWY07 where I watched practice last year. A guy dressed like a cop on white car with yellow stripe came up and told me to get out of the city's property or else I'll get charged.

I have no idea where we can spectate those practice and/or arrivals tomorrow, but does anybody here have any idea?

Thanks
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:06 am

Unfortunately if you are parked anywhere where a “No Parking” sign is set up, they have full authority to ask you to relocate. This will be a bigger issue during the Blue Angels when the police will also be the ones kicking people out. Don’t expect to get away with parking on Huntington because the police will be making sure everyone is out of the area before the roadblock is set.

It sucks this harassment occurs but we need to understand that the jet demo teams have a strict policy and rules when it comes to locking down the show box.
0 x

cf18hornet

Post by cf18hornet » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:13 am

Aki Suzuki wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:22 am Hi everybody,

Well, I am but kind of depressed now because with couple of other fellows, I got kicked out from the spot south of RWY07 where I watched practice last year. A guy dressed like a cop on white car with yellow stripe came up and told me to get out of the city's property or else I'll get charged.

I have no idea where we can spectate those practice and/or arrivals tomorrow, but does anybody here have any idea?

Thanks
I’m assuming you were in the yellow Mazda? I was in the Black Ford Escape beside you. Unfortunately I have no idea how tomorrow is going to go but I haven’t got a good feeling about it. The guy in the car was an Abbotsford by—law officer and he is right about being on city property. The raspberry field where we were parked today is actually city property and the land is rented from the city by berry farmers. Before we always told the police that we have permission from the owners of the berries to be there and most of the time they accepted that answer and went away because they didn’t know it was actually city property. But the guy today knows it’s city property and there’s no way to stay there if he’s around.
0 x

Aki Suzuki

Post by Aki Suzuki » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:04 am

AirshowHawk wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:06 am Unfortunately if you are parked anywhere where a “No Parking” sign is set up, they have full authority to ask you to relocate. This will be a bigger issue during the Blue Angels when the police will also be the ones kicking people out. Don’t expect to get away with parking on Huntington because the police will be making sure everyone is out of the area before the roadblock is set.

It sucks this harassment occurs but we need to understand that the jet demo teams have a strict policy and rules when it comes to locking down the show box.
Right, gotta try to understand what performers and organizer want from us with regard to safety, I know, though I feel we need some help from them too to enjoy our sky. I don't want to mess around so I'll follow the restrictions, just wanted to know how far I can go without making any troubles. Thank you for the advise, I won't park my car by restricted area.
0 x

Aki Suzuki

Post by Aki Suzuki » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:10 am

cf18hornet wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:13 am
Aki Suzuki wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:22 am Hi everybody,

Thanks
I’m assuming you were in the yellow Mazda? I was in the Black Ford Escape beside you. Unfortunately I have no idea how tomorrow is going to go but I haven’t got a good feeling about it. The guy in the car was an Abbotsford by—law officer and he is right about being on city property. The raspberry field where we were parked today is actually city property and the land is rented from the city by berry farmers. Before we always told the police that we have permission from the owners of the berries to be there and most of the time they accepted that answer and went away because they didn’t know it was actually city property. But the guy today knows it’s city property and there’s no way to stay there if he’s around.
Yep, you're right :D

Thank you for the detail, I finally understood the situation. I think I'll park somewhere legal and walk or bike somewhere south where it's unrestricted.
0 x

Viper93

Post by Viper93 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:07 am

Your best bet would be to ask a farmer if they around to park in their field, anywhere before the roadblack begins. There are many farms, and maybe, just maybe if someone is kind enough, they will let you park at their homes while the road is blocked.
0 x

Return to “2018 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”