Canadian International Airshow 2018

Discussion relating to 2018 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
ACA856

Post by ACA856 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:17 pm

CIAS 2018...Yawn - I remember the CIAS from the 80's & 90's, it was fantastic. Even the Concorde & 747 & 767 made appearances (fly by low) for a few years. SAR demo's, in-flight refueling demo (RAF), simulated prop & jet dog fights, F15's going ballistic. Good times. Sadly, no more. Between 'safety' freaks and penny pinchers (air show organizers), it's all gone tits up.

The lineup for CIAS 2018 is almost laughable save for the Thunderbirds in their F-16's who we don't see up here too often. The Snowbirds never get old either, always happy to see them...other than that there's a handful of mediocrity on display. Edenvale airport show a few weeks back would be more exciting. Certainly not worth the price of admission to the CNE or the VIP nonsense they are peddling. I suspect the tents will be largely empty this year given the poor showing of aerial acts.

I went to London Airshow last year, paid $120 for the VIP deal....was good but not great. This year they also have less of the 'good stuff' performing but prices remain high. I'll pass this year.

Final note - how disappointing there are no airshows in Canada this year or last with the Lancaster/B-25/Spitfire/Hurricane/etc.. making an appearance. Yes, they are flying over Brantford tomorrow along with Fifi B29, hardly an airshow however. I spoke to WHM in Hamilton to ask them why they are not at London or CIAS, they said no one wanted to pay the fees for them to attend (which keep the aircraft flying). Shame on the airshow peeps who are rolling in the dough and NOT paying the piper.

Do I sound bitter? Yes, I am.
0 x

ilovejetnoise

Post by ilovejetnoise » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:34 pm

I just wanna share a perspective of an airshow lover.

I've been a long time CIAS goer. My fondest memories go back to the early 80's, with highlights being the aforementioned BA Concorde fly over, along with stars such as the SR-71 Blackbird, Luftwaffe Tornado, Royal Australian AF F-111 and the great fuel dump, the Italian jet team Freece Tricolori, RAF Red Arrows (early 90s); and Canadian contents such as the CF-101, CF-5... But one particular memory that's still vivid in my mind was when I wasn't even going to the airshow, I was going groceries shopping at Knob Hill Farm (a now gone store along Lakeshore east, currently T&T supermarket). I was just pulling into the parking lot and got out of the car when I heard a powerful rush of air coming FAST. I looked in that direction and saw a black blur, but I could identify what was making that sound. It was a freakin' Bone!!! A B-1 Lancer in swept-wings configuration, flying very low and very fast, no doubt on its way to make quite an airshow entrance at the CIAS.

Unfortunately, great acts like those are now long gone. Even, the sights that we were so used to seeing year in, year out (Lancaster, Spitfire, Hurricane...) are few and far between nowadays. 2018 will be the first year that I will intentionally NOT make it to the CIAS for any of the Friday, Saturday, Sunday, or Monday. The NORAD-themed Hornet demo also makes other appearances within an hour or so of Toronto this season, likewise for the Snowbirds (save Wasaga). I saw the T-birds in Niagara in June this year, plus at least 3 times per year for the past 30+ years. The F-35, well, I've seen the A variant in the HF role at least a dozen times, and also B and C variants as static or mil op at various sites, where most of those didn't cost me anything.

I'll miss my time at the waterfront. So sad :cry:
0 x

Zombiel3

Post by Zombiel3 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:49 pm

Does anybody know roughly what time practice is Friday?
I stopped getting insider emails altogether. I think Insider Jenny has forgotten about me. :|
Last edited by Zombiel3 on Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
- Bark

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:04 pm

Zombiel3 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:49 pm Does anybody know roughly what time practice is Friday?
I stopped getting insider emails altogether. I think Insider Jenny has forgotten about me. :|
Practice day is scheduled from 11-2. Saturday - Monday is 12-3.

Currently sitting at the waterfront hoping to see the Thunderbirds site survey (if they haven't already done so) . I know they arrived on Monday, but usually they do site surveys on the Thursday of the show weekend. The procedure might be different due to the early arrival. Not too sure lol. If I strike out, at least there's still practice day tomorrow!
Last edited by Dan Gagnon on Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Dan Gagnon

Zombiel3

Post by Zombiel3 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:24 pm

Dan Gagnon wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:04 pm
Zombiel3 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:49 pm Does anybody know roughly what time practice is Friday?
Practice day is scheduled from 11-2. Saturday - Monday is 12-3.

Currently sitting at the waterfront hoping to see the Thunderbirds site survey (if they haven't already done so) . I know they arrived on Monday, but usually they do site surveys on the Thursday of the show weekend. The procedure might be different due to the early arrival. Not too sure lol. If I strike out, at least there's still practice day tomorrow!
Great! I read those times on the FAQ but I just don't know how much I can trust the info from the organizers anymore. SAD.
I will be there tomorrow as well tho. ;)
0 x
- Bark

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:00 pm

Zombiel3 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:24 pm
Great! I read those times on the FAQ but I just don't know how much I can trust the info from the organizers anymore. SAD.
I would suggest getting there before 11, as the NOTAM starts at 10 am. Just in case lol
0 x
Dan Gagnon

Zombiel3

Post by Zombiel3 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:05 pm

Dan Gagnon wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:00 pm
Zombiel3 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:24 pm
I would suggest getting there before 11, as the NOTAM starts at 10 am. Just in case lol
There needs to be a 'Thumbs Up' emoji! :D
0 x
- Bark

Hook

Post by Hook » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:50 am

ACA856 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:17 pm CIAS 2018...Yawn - I remember the CIAS from the 80's & 90's, it was fantastic. Even the Concorde & 747 & 767 made appearances (fly by low) for a few years. SAR demo's, in-flight refueling demo (RAF), simulated prop & jet dog fights, F15's going ballistic. Good times. Sadly, no more. Between 'safety' freaks and penny pinchers (air show organizers), it's all gone tits up.

The lineup for CIAS 2018 is almost laughable save for the Thunderbirds in their F-16's who we don't see up here too often. The Snowbirds never get old either, always happy to see them...other than that there's a handful of mediocrity on display. Edenvale airport show a few weeks back would be more exciting. Certainly not worth the price of admission to the CNE or the VIP nonsense they are peddling. I suspect the tents will be largely empty this year given the poor showing of aerial acts.

I went to London Airshow last year, paid $120 for the VIP deal....was good but not great. This year they also have less of the 'good stuff' performing but prices remain high. I'll pass this year.

Final note - how disappointing there are no airshows in Canada this year or last with the Lancaster/B-25/Spitfire/Hurricane/etc.. making an appearance. Yes, they are flying over Brantford tomorrow along with Fifi B29, hardly an airshow however. I spoke to WHM in Hamilton to ask them why they are not at London or CIAS, they said no one wanted to pay the fees for them to attend (which keep the aircraft flying). Shame on the airshow peeps who are rolling in the dough and NOT paying the piper.

Do I sound bitter? Yes, I am.
I get it, I was there at those shows as well, they inspired me to volunteer to put on shows but let me add this as food for thought from a PP organizer.

I find it interesting when people comment about airshow organizers (penny pincers) not doing all they can to inspire and bring those shows back.

ASL (Airshow London) has asked multiple times, I might add specifically the WHM for quotes to do ASL and we never received a reply once on a cost to do our show. We would have welcomed them and would still welcome them with open arms but without a reply, it's hard to add them to the lineup. We actually worked with the RAF to have RAF Typhoons at the show and having them fly with the world famous Lanc to celebrate the RAF 100 this year and be the NA RAF 100 site. The RAF was interested but we never heard from the WHM and we had to move on and do what we could without that theme, as it takes an entire year to put on a show our size and there is only so much time.

Side note. ASL tries for airlines every year and they do not have the time or $$ in their schedules to fit us in. A 787 flyby, are kidding me? Would be awesome!!!

As for the CIAS. They have a tough challenge they face every year and they do the best they can to entertain and inspire people as well. Back when all of those great aircraft flew in the shows, including SR-71s, U-2s, Red Arrows and even the YF-17! The reality of the CIAS is they face massive pressure from Porter at YTZ airport, YYZ airline constraints that happen daily without airshows and a downtown Toronto that doesn't want jets at YTZ!

I actually commend them for continuing doing airshows with all of the pressure of people not wanting airshows but keep it alive. Kudos and well done. They may not have the umph of the old shows but I am going this weekend, I am paying to go and I hope they continue. Without support, shows will be no more and we will get to tell our kids about how cool they were, the good old days and how they don't get to see what we got to see so lets not go.

Lets get positive and inspire people. I see an incredible amount of young photographers and fans that go to airshows regularity and have an incredible avenue to share what they see in social media and websites like this one. Back when we were all watching those awesome shows and incredible demos, that were not shared and enjoyed by the world unless it was published on paper in magazine or newspaper. we had to buy. I am amazed when I see up to date great photos of aircraft people saw today at airshows and airports. Wow, incredible. So lets strive to make all of those posts something people want to see. It's so easy to armchair everything these days, so lets try and find the positive of our hard earned money spent to enjoy a passion of airshow and aircraft we all share.

Sorry for the ramble....but I truly care about what your are saying.
0 x

yyz64

Post by yyz64 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:55 am

You know if you look at the sponsors of the Toronto airshow you will see Eurofighter Typhoon as a sponsor.Why would they do that unless....???

https://theex.com/main/entertainment/ca ... w-partners
Last edited by yyz64 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:39 am

yyz64 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:55 am You know if you look at the sponsors of the Toronto airshow you will see Eurofighter Typhoon as a sponsor.Why would they do that unless....???
They're probably just sponsoring a VIP enclosure or something dreary like that. Eurofighter seem to sponsor several shows at which they have no tangible presence. Unfortunately there's no BAE Systems company demo this year, which would probably have been your best bet for seeing it at CIAS. I don't think there are any Typhoons detatched to the US/Canada on exercises at the moment, are there?

Found @Hook's post absolutely fascinating, really good read.
Last edited by Adam on Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Return to “2018 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”