Thunder of Niagara Airshow 2018

Discussion relating to 2018 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
CJEddy

Post by CJEddy » Mon May 21, 2018 12:07 am

Dan,

Did you inquire with anyone about a clarification on the "large lens" ban? I know a few people that would be effected, I use the Nikon 200-400 which falls under large. I would say that the security in the past has been a tad inconsistent. I always see some coolers even though they are prohibited.

Thanks,
Craig
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Mon May 21, 2018 12:14 am

CJEddy wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:07 am Dan,

Did you inquire with anyone about a clarification on the "large lens" ban? I know a few people that would be effected, I use the Nikon 200-400 which falls under large. I would say that the security in the past has been a tad inconsistent. I always see some coolers even though they are prohibited.

Thanks,
Craig
The show made a comment on this Facebook post that said a large lens is anything over 6 inches long. They also stated that this ban is so that everyone can enjoy the show. No security reasoning was given (not that it'd make sense any way) but as the negative comments from photographers began to pile up the show account started to mention security forces more.

I've also been told that the show "isn't doing media this year" so that won't even get your camera in the gate. What an absolutely stupid decision from the show and awful PR work. I am enjoying watching the angry comments pop up.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

jared181920

Post by jared181920 » Mon May 21, 2018 12:43 am

Well that’s an enormous bummer, especially after already having bought tickets.

Here’s hoping they change that policy before the show.

I can see their point, sort of, but it’s not as if an aircraft is static while it’s performing. So if a camera lens is in your view for a second while the aircraft is moving, you likely aren’t going to miss much.
Last edited by jared181920 on Mon May 21, 2018 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Mon May 21, 2018 3:22 am

It was interesting to see the comments on their Facebook page, from both sides. I find it odd that lenses more then 6 inches would be prohibited. If they are so concerned about pleasing everyone, they could at least give the photogs a section to where they wouldn't be "in the way" of other spectators. Some could argue that the VIP sections, that take up show centre could do the same thing to those who want to watch the show for free.

I believe I saw the show comment, they would be discussing the lens issue this week. Let's hope there's some compromise.
0 x
Dan Gagnon

AndyMedic

Post by AndyMedic » Mon May 21, 2018 10:48 am

This is the most ridiculous thing Ive ever seen
0 x
Check out my current Airshow Photographs here: https://andybackowski.zenfolio.com/f382726257

CJEddy

Post by CJEddy » Mon May 21, 2018 11:05 am

Thanks for passing on the bad news about lens size. Security justification makes no sense and there are plenty of other annoying things at airshows that are not getting banned as some have pointed out. Hopefully common sense will prevail when they revisit the issue.
0 x

Warbird55

Post by Warbird55 » Mon May 21, 2018 2:34 pm

I was the one who posted that question they answered on their facebook page. The vague description had me worried and I remember hearing of similar issues at other shows at air force installations. I had a funny feeling we would get an answer like this. Hopefully they realize they are alienating the most hard core airshow folks and will ease up the restriction. I would even be okay with a specific line for people with bigger photo gear that will be scanned more thoroughly.
0 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Mon May 21, 2018 3:17 pm

The Super Hornet demo is now officially confirmed for Thunder of Niagara by the US Navy TacDemo facebook page.
0 x
Dan Gagnon

CJEddy

Post by CJEddy » Mon May 21, 2018 5:31 pm

AndyMedic wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:48 am This is the most ridiculous thing Ive ever seen
If they are saying a large lens blocks some people's view then what else? I'm 6'-2", maybe they'll ban me because I might block the view of someone who didn't get up as early as I did to get a good seat.
0 x

Chuter

Post by Chuter » Tue May 22, 2018 4:46 pm

CJEddy wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 5:31 pm
AndyMedic wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:48 am This is the most ridiculous thing Ive ever seen
If they are saying a large lens blocks some people's view then what else? I'm 6'-2", maybe they'll ban me because I might block the view of someone who didn't get up as early as I did to get a good seat.
lol. It's so ridiculous. If they do decide to revoke that policy I'll 100% be making a weekend of it - if not, I don't know. I've never seen a show do this, especially one of this magnitude. Pretty sad.
0 x

Return to “2018 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”