Gathering of B-17s 2018 - Urbana/Dayton, OH

Discussion relating to 2018 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Lmarion51

Gathering of B-17s 2018 - Urbana/Dayton, OH

Post by Lmarion51 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:48 am

Does anyone know anything about the Urbana Ohio B-17 event?
Is it an airshow or just inducting the Memphis Belle into the
museum? Supposed to be May 17 thru May 19' Thanks!
0 x

awal2049

Post by awal2049 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:54 am

Lmarion51 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:48 am Does anyone know anything about the Urbana Ohio B-17 event?
I wrote a little post about this last year. The induction ceremony will be May 17, with no air show, just a rollout of the restoration hangar. You can read more about it here.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/new ... iVQvySFnO/
0 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:00 pm

Lmarion51 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:48 am Does anyone know anything about the Urbana Ohio B-17 event?
Urbana is having a B-17 gathering the Monday and Tuesday leading up to the event, May 14-15. The B-17s will be giving rides before heading over to NMUSAF for static display on the runway behind the museum (17-19) and a flyover of the museum on the 19th. I expect that it will be similar to the B-25 gatherings that have been held at NMUSAF - static displays for several days and a one-pass group flyover of the airpark. As of now, the following B-17s are expected to be in attendance:

The Movie Memphis Belle
Aluminum Overcast
Yankee Lady
Madras Maiden

From what I have heard, they are also hoping for a couple P-51s.

More info: https://www.facebook.com/b17GatheringUrbana2018/
0 x
Matt

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:12 am

I split these posts out of the Dayton airshow thread because it is a separate event that deserves a thread of its own!

I was hoping to attend, but Monday and Tuesday are a pretty awkward time to be hanging out at the airport. I'm hoping there might be some sort of action the Sunday before?

Call me a little jaded but it's hard to get super excited about four B-17s when TOM had...I want to say ten+? Maybe it was eight but still far more back in the day. I do still hope to go but it isn't a priority for my vacation time at this point.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

BruceK

Post by BruceK » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:14 am

RyanS wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:12 am I split these posts out of the Dayton airshow thread because it is a separate event that deserves a thread of its own!

I was hoping to attend, but Monday and Tuesday are a pretty awkward time to be hanging out at the airport. I'm hoping there might be some sort of action the Sunday before?

Call me a little jaded but it's hard to get super excited about four B-17s when TOM had...I want to say ten+? Maybe it was eight but still far more back in the day. I do still hope to go but it isn't a priority for my vacation time at this point.
TOM had 8 in 2010, I was there. The big difference between these two events is TOM paid appearance fees for the B-17s to attend that covered all expenses. The Gathering in OH is relying on donations and revenue from ride flights at Urbana to cover the costs of the planes being there. Obviously, this makes it more difficult for the B-17s out west to attend with the added cost of flying cross country.
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:06 pm

BruceK wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:14 am
RyanS wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:12 am I split these posts out of the Dayton airshow thread because it is a separate event that deserves a thread of its own!

TOM had 8 in 2010, I was there. The big difference between these two events is TOM paid appearance fees for the B-17s to attend that covered all expenses. The Gathering in OH is relying on donations and revenue from ride flights at Urbana to cover the costs of the planes being there. Obviously, this makes it more difficult for the B-17s out west to attend with the added cost of flying cross country.
Yep, totally understand that they are very different events and I don't want anyone to think I am bashing this event. It's awesome that it has come together to this extent.

I penciled it in to my plans when I heard about it last year and just assumed it would be a *must go at all costs* event. When I looked at it recently and saw four airplanes it was a little below the impression I had previously formed. I remember stopping by the B-25 gathering some years back when it was I think 17 B-25s and that was awesome because it was nonstop action. I wonder how much flying there will be from the ride flights on four aircraft.

Regardless, the main issue is it being on week days. Hopefully something happens on the weekend before so that I can make it down!
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Rickgladon

Post by Rickgladon » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:28 pm

Just the B-17s coming in for the Memphis Belle exhibit opening. They will be at Urbana Mon thru Weds morning at 9. Then flying to the NMUSAF for the exhibit opening. They will have 6 P-51 and a few other Warbirds as well.
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue May 01, 2018 11:38 pm

I just stumbled across this post that says three B-17s, six P-51s, and three trainers will be participating in the Memphis Belle debut (and presumably the gathering in Urbana beforehand).

Partial excerpt:
The B-17 Movie Memphis Belle will join B-17G Yankee Lady and B-17G Aluminum Overcast, along with six P-51 Mustangs and three WWII-era trainer aircraft in the skies over the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force on May 16 as part of the events surrounding the opening of the new Memphis Belle™ exhibit at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force.

The original B-17F Memphis Belle – the first U.S. Army Air Forces heavy bomber to return to the United States after completing 25 combat missions over occupied Europe – will be unveiled to the public on May 17 - exactly 75 years after its crew finished their last mission in the war against Nazi Germany on May 17, 1943.

Plans call for 11 of the WWII-era aircraft to land at the museum on May 16 between 8-9 a.m. (One P-51 will be part of the initial flyover but not land at the museum.) The aircraft will then be available for viewing on static display May 17-18 from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. On May 18 at approximately 4:30 p.m., visitors in the museum’s Memorial Park may view the aircraft as they take-off and depart the grounds. (Note: Outdoor events are weather dependent and subject to change.)
http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Upcomi ... ibit-open/
Last edited by RyanS on Tue May 01, 2018 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Wed May 16, 2018 2:14 pm

Looks like bad weather will prevent the bombers from landing at the museum today but they're hoping to do flyovers and land when weather allows. Hopefully the event can go smoothly!
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Copperbeltjack

Post by Copperbeltjack » Wed May 16, 2018 5:44 pm

Last edited by Copperbeltjack on Wed May 16, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Return to “2018 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”