Royal International Air Tattoo 2019

Discussion relating to 2019 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Adam

Post by Adam » Fri May 10, 2019 2:52 pm

mstares wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:15 pm The return of the Osprey Demo is quite welcome given the cancellation on one of the days last year... my memory fails me but I recall it having something to do wit the Reds sitting on the Runway for about 2 hours waiting for their display spot elsewhere which also had a knock on effect with limiting the B2 pass(es)... or am I conflating two separate incidents?

Mark
Two incidents. The B-2 incident was with the Chinook display. The B-2 had to hold until after the Chinook, rather than the Chinook being cut short, and only had enough fuel for one pass.

The Osprey had to cancel while in the hold, having flown all the way from Mildenhall, because of the Reds hogging the runway for a 'hard' slot time elsewhere, as you alluded to. The Osprey crew were clearly heard on the scanner telling ATC they were disappointed about that.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

mstares

Post by mstares » Fri May 10, 2019 8:59 pm

That was it.

It is easy to criticize from the cheap seats, and no doubt I can't begin to comprehend the complexities, dedication etc, but yeah my teeth were ground to powder during those incidents.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu May 16, 2019 11:03 am

Added to the flying display from the Italian Air Force is their same selection as last year:
Frecce Tricolori
C-27J Spartan
EF-2000 Typhoon
T-346A

Added to the static:
Austrian C-130K
Belgian ERJ
Belgian F-16AM x2
Hungarian JAS-39 Gripen
Canadian CP-140
Canadian CC-130

Not to demean the fantastic Italian support, but I can't shake off a nagging feeling that this year is just a bit "same old". Harriers aside, there's nothing I particularly want to see that I haven't seen at the last two Air Tattoos. Right now I just can't justify spending a full hundred of my pounds on the current Sunday lineup. For the first time ever at any airshow, I'm strongly considering jumping ship after buying a ticket, and going to Wings Over Baltics instead.

I'm holding on for a while longer, but unless something grabs my attention soon, I'll have a RIAT Sunday ticket to give away.
Last edited by Adam on Thu May 16, 2019 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

mstares

Post by mstares » Sat May 18, 2019 3:37 pm

Having only missed 1 RIAT since 2013 I can empathize with the deja vu feeling.

Certain acts appear each year like clockwork which can make one jaded (This is not a criticism of the show they work damn hard for a varied display but in the end it is up to the air arms)...

...I am not there yet however. I am still hunting for that 'perfect' photo of any number of acts (Though I am crushed that the Italian Tornado and Couteau Delta are not flying at all this year). And there is still enough new/different content to keep me going.

Also I am still looking at RIAT through North American eyes (quite an isolated North American at that). There is nothing similar over here, RIAT is one stop shopping for the European military aviation fix.

The dual harriers are definitely moving me. I really want another crack at the Belgian F-16 in the new scheme (why are European Acts so allergic to proper topside passes?!). I had no luck with Swiss or Finnish Hornets last year and well the Flanker is a long way from being old hat. The USAF F-16 demo has become a bit of a white whale for me (Have caught him three time previously, but always in poor light or too far away).

The credibly rumoured Romanian Mig 21 will be an awesome addition and I expect we shall see one if not two fast movers from the Poles yet. So yeah I am still more than optimistic.

Lastly I just switched from Canon to Nikon so there is the whole anticipation factor of seeing what the new gear can do.

Cheers

Mark
Attachments
DnI1mUDXgAAl6Lw.jpg
DnI1mUDXgAAl6Lw.jpg (54.19 KiB) Viewed 11890 times
0 x

Speedbird2706

Post by Speedbird2706 » Mon May 20, 2019 8:55 pm

On the Air Tattoo Website Poland, Romania and Turkey show as on going discussions. This is certainly great as Romania self confirmed with the Mig-21 demo earlier this year.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue May 21, 2019 7:24 am

The MiG-21 would tempt me back.

I doubt we'll get much from Poland as it appears Orlik, the F-16 and MiG-29 demos will be at Wings Over Baltics, and Iskry are not leaving Poland this year. Likewise we know the Turkish Stars and SoloTurk are staying at home this season, according to their schedules, so I'd guess static only from them.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Tue May 21, 2019 8:16 am

Poland usually fields two MiG-29 displays from different bases (the duo with the XA41 is separate from the solo) so if they are feeling particularly generous they could still support both shows with the type.

In all honesty however I'd appreciate any appearance (Static or Flying) at RIAT by Polish MiGs or Sukhois - following recent events they are living on borrowed time.
1 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu May 23, 2019 11:00 am

Today's update sees a NATO E-3A for the anniversary flypast.

Added to the static from the RNLAF is an F-16, C-130H, Chinook, Apache, Cogar and NH90. Civilian statics include an OV-10B Bronco, two Hunters, a Huey, Delfin, Loach, Auster, Chipmunk and more.
Last edited by Adam on Thu May 23, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Fri May 24, 2019 11:33 am

RAF F-35B flypasts scheduled for Friday and Saturday.

A further pair of special flypasts for the Sunday yet to be announced.
Last edited by Flightline Uk on Fri May 24, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri May 24, 2019 11:50 am

If anyone wants a standard entry ticket for Sunday, PM me.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Return to “2019 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”