LIMA 2019, Langkawi Malaysia 29-30 March

Discussion relating to 2019 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
jm1g

LIMA 2019, Langkawi Malaysia 29-30 March

Post by jm1g » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:07 pm

Excited for this one after a disappointing Singapore airshow last year. Would love to hear any reviews from people who have been to this show before.

Anybody got any news on lineups?
0 x

DeanW

Post by DeanW » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:13 pm

Indian Tejas and Indonesia's Jupiter Aerobatic Team should be attending.
0 x

jm1g

Post by jm1g » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:17 pm

Any news on Russian knights or rafale?

Where can I find past lineups?
0 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:29 pm

jm1g wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:17 pm Any news on Russian knights or rafale?

Where can I find past lineups?
I can link you to the website and Facebook page, which if you have the patience to scroll through it, you could probably see past events with videos and pictures etc. I'm sure there are aviation websites that show schedule archives. Try MILAVIA's website. They have a schedule archive dating back to 2006.

http://www.limaexhibition.com/

https://www.facebook.com/lima.langkawi/

Hope this helps!
0 x
Dan Gagnon

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:38 pm

This is another show I have done before. I really loved it, although it is a little frustrating at times. As already mentioned, so far the performers are:
Jupiter Aerobatic Team (x6 KT-1B Woongbi) - Indonesian Air Force*
LCA Tejas - Indian Air Force

*This is based solely of a slightly obscure tweet from the team last week. I ran a news story about it on my site and had it comfirmed by someone who works for LIMA later.

For more information, here is my guide to LIMA: http://thisisflight.net/airshow-guides/guide-to-lima/
Advice on tickets, where to watch from, where to stay etc. If you're into photography, the best spots are off-site, as per my guide, although I stayed almost entirely on-site myself when I went.

The best part of the show is the opening ceremony at about 8am on the first day. It's by invitation only, if you can find a way to get in then do it, it's probably the most amazing airshow sequence I have ever experienced. Masses of Hornets, Sukhois, Hawks and Atlases thundering over the crowd from all directions, with plenty of flares and pyro. If you can't get inside, then Site B on my map is the best spot.

The only thing I can't really attest to is how easy it is getting in and out of the venue during the public days. I managed to hitch a lift with one of the volunteer teams from their hotel and got fast-tracked through all the traffic. I know parking is available or you can get a taxi to the show, but I'd guess it's very hard to get a taxi home again.

I will be live-broadcasting a 1hr show on LIMA 2017 at 13:00 UTC this Saturday on my Facebook page. Do join me for that. It's not my finest camerawork but it'll give a great insight into the flying displays and there's some in-cockpit and behind-the-scenes sequences too. http://facebook.com/thisisflight.net
Last edited by Adam on Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Bokimon

Post by Bokimon » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:05 pm

Wicked!! Thanks Adam, this is just golden..
I will be there for 5 days during the last week of March and I cannot wait..
Perhaps THIS one will make up for some lacklustre experiences in Zhuhai and Radom last year, I'm spending good money to hop across the oceans and I expect some success from my efforts for spotting quality and photography, 5 days I believe will be more than enough as long as there are no monsoons or something.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:27 pm

There shouldn't be monsoons at that time of year, the biggest problem will be the heat!

I really hope you enjoy it. To me it is the best airshow in the Far East, by miles. It's always a great lineup (2015 especially, but 2013 and 2017 were very good too). I stayed all week and had a fantastic time. If you have any questions I will do my best to answer them.

I've just been scanning the internet and seen a comment from someone called Ahmad Yassier who seems to be unofficially affiliated with LIMA and provided a whole load of info for the previous show which was almost 100% accurate. He has said the following aircraft will be on static display:
RSAF Airbus A330-200 MRTT
RSAF Boeing F-15SG
USAF Boeing KC-135R Stratotanker
USAF Boeing C-17A Globemaster III
US Navy Boeing F/A-18F Super Hornet
USAF Raytheon MQ-9 Predator UAV
Royal Thai Air Force Saab JAS-39 Gripen
Indian Air Force HAL Tejas LCA
USAF Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
USAF Rockwell B-1B Lancer
AVIC Wing Loong UAV

Of those, it will be the global airshow debut of the RSAF A330, which was only delivered last year. The B-1 or B-52 will perform a flypast. He confirmed the Black Eagles will not be attending (no real surprise there).

That's all unofficial, but I'd put money on the vast majority of that being true.

I'm trying to post the URL to the video this Saturday: facebook.com/thisisflight.net/videos/395198121285460/
Last edited by Adam on Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Bokimon

Post by Bokimon » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:56 pm

Yes, I will def ask some in a bit.. I too saw that prelim list and so far it is promising.
However it would be nice if the Russian Knights were back again? Or was that the other demo team for the 2017 edition..
If they can do air to air simulated maneuvers of SU30 and F18 of the RMAF, that would be incredible, a real life cold war dogfight from within Malaysias own air force, what a diverse fleet of planes they have.

And I look forward to some civil flypasts or demo if possible, MAS A380 with a squadron of SU/F18 mixes and then a massive flare dump break... :o
Last edited by Bokimon on Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:30 pm

Bokimon wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:56 pm However it would be nice if the Russian Knights were back again? Or was that the other demo team for the 2017 edition..
The Russian Knights were there in 2017 and 2013. The Russians are trying to sell more Su-30s to Malaysia, so I guess it's possible they'll do two back-to-back shows.
Bokimon wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:56 pm If they can do air to air simulated maneuvers of SU30 and F18 of the RMAF, that would be incredible, a real life cold war dogfight from within Malaysias own air force, what a diverse fleet of planes they have.
To my knowledge the RMAF haven't done any multi-aircraft combat demonstrations in recent years. Of late, they have staged two solo displays per show. They have a very good Su-30MKM solo which I've seen a few times, and a tight, flowing F/A-18D solo display too. Both use flares.

The opening ceremony is very good for a mass RMAF display though. The 2018 opening ceremony display consisted of:
1) x1 F/A-18D high-speed pass and spiral climb with flares
2) x2 Su-30 crowd-front opposition break
3) x5 Hawk crowd-rear arrival and break
4) x2 EC725 crowd-rear arrival and pedal turns
5) x1 EC725 crowd-rear arrival
6) x2 EC725 opposing orbits with ground pyro
7) x7 PC-9 flypast with coloured smoke
8) x3 A400M Atlas flypast, x1 Atlas pulls out of the formation
9) x1 A400M Atlas wingover and tight turn
10) x2 Su-30, x2 F/A-18 and x5 Hawk crowd-front arrival, x1 F/A-18D crowd-rear arrival and spiral climb with flares & x7 PC-9 crowd-front arrival with ground pyro (those three things happened simultaniously, all three elements intersected almost above the crowd. Kind of like the Oshkosh mass warbird arrivals, but with fighter jets. And fire.)

All that was cramed into no more than 5 minutes 30 seconds. I've never seen anything quite like it before!
Bokimon wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:56 pm And I look forward to some civil flypasts or demo if possible, MAS A380 with a squadron of SU/F18 mixes and then a massive flare dump break... :o
There's usually a series of flypasts (including Malaysian Airlines flypasts) at about 12:00 on day 1, not full demos though. I wouldn't expect any special flypasts or mass displays after the opening day.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:55 pm

https://www.sinarharian.com.my/article/9404

On the basis of this article, quoting the chief of the Royal Malaysian Air Force, LIMA '19 will be very similar to LIMA '17. He says that the RMAF will perform solo demonstrations with the Su-30MKM and F/A-18D. He also says the Black Eagles and Jupiter Aerobatic Team are planning to attend the show, but this won't be finalised until the end of the month.

Indian press are reporting that both the single-seat Tejas LCA and two-seat Tejas Trainer will fly to the show, with at least one participating in the flying display. All quiet from the Malaysian side so far.

This, I believe, is the aircraft list as it stands. http://thisisflight.net/airshow-guides/ ... raft-list/
1 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Return to “2019 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”