LIMA 2019, Langkawi Malaysia 29-30 March

Discussion relating to 2019 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:34 pm

Official aircraft list is out. Looking quite thin at this stage.

http://www.limaexhibition.com/download/ ... p58FkW6Lnw
1 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

jm1g

Post by jm1g » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:09 pm

What do you estimate the chances are for further additions? Was hoping to see the Russians and french rafale.
Thanks for the great info Adam, and others who have contributed.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:04 pm

I'd guess there are likely to be some changes but nothing too huge. The 2017 preliminary aircraft list included pretty much all the flying display acts. The static display list is likely to get longer

There's still a few more possibilities though. The chief of the RMAF said in an interview I linked to last week that the Black Eagles might come but it wouldn't be confirmed until the end of January. There's also a small chance of the Pakistan Air Force JF-17 Thunder because the JF-17 and Tejas are the main competitors for the RMAF's Light Combat Aircraft programme. We can hope for those, I guess.

The list does a bad job of breaking down where and when each aircraft will perform. All those RMAF aircraft at the top of the flying display list will only fly during the opening ceremony at 08:00-08:30 on the first day. From then on the only RMAF displays will be the usual Hornet and Su-30 solo displays. Both of those are top-quality displays though. I would hazard a guess based on last year that the AirAsia A321 and USAF bomber flypasts will be only on the opening day between 12:00-12:30, in the half hour before the start of the main aerial display. The Navy/Coast Guard/Police helicopters will perform in the Maritime Demo only, not the main airshow.

Chances of the Rafale are probably not too good. Part of the reason the lineup is so thin this year is because Malaysia have temporarily suspended their Multi Role Combat Aircraft procurement programme, which is the main reason the Rafale, Gripen and Russian Knights have displayed at LIMA in the past. I saw on a local website, which is usually quite accurate, that the Russians were considered sending an Su-35 this year but the Malaysians told them that as MRCA is suspended, they would be wasting their time.
Last edited by Adam on Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

jm1g

Post by jm1g » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:12 pm

=(
oh well looking forward to it anyway! Thanks for the info
0 x

Bokimon

Post by Bokimon » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:34 pm

Oh man, I saw that list as well.. I have 6 days booked over there. Where else could I go to see the Russian Knights these days?
Here is hoping there will be some more acts added, the static list looks decent and if some of those can do air demos, that would help immensely.
Or I will probably skip a day and see the maritime defense demo and see if I can catch any low flying helis maneuvering around..
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:14 pm

Bokimon wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:34 pm Oh man, I saw that list as well.. I have 6 days booked over there. Where else could I go to see the Russian Knights these days?
Here is hoping there will be some more acts added, the static list looks decent and if some of those can do air demos, that would help immensely.
Or I will probably skip a day and see the maritime defense demo and see if I can catch any low flying helis maneuvering around..
I definitely suggest watching the maritime demo. It's not the most exciting display in the world and parts of it are quite far from the crowd, but there are some very good photo opportunities. They usually have a couple of scenarios, each featuring different aircraft. Last year, one was a coast guard demo, the other was a Navy demo. They only do one demo in each of the display sessions, it seems to be pot luck which one you get.

So much of LIMA's aerial displays stemmed from the MRCA procurement programme, but I'm nonetheless surprised how thin the lineup is looking. It's a mere shadow of the 2015 show, which was surely one of the best airshow lineups in the world that year.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:15 am

No Black Eagles. Confirmed by the team on Facebook today.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Adam

Post by Adam » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:28 am

List updated. No B-1 flypast, x2 B-52s confirmed instead. As I mentioned earlier, this flypast will probably be midday on day 1 only.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Adam

Post by Adam » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:39 pm

Yak-130 to perform in the flying display for the first time this year, according to the head of Rostec. It's there as part of the LCA programme like the Tejas, I guess.

I saw a company Yak-130 demo back in 2014, a surprisingly gutsy little display.

https://www.urdupoint.com/en/world/russ ... RsTlT6MNbY

In other news, the IAF has painted up a Tejas in national colours for Aero India. I wouldn't be surprised if the same jet is used for the flying displays at LIMA.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Adam

Post by Adam » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:01 pm

Official update to the aircraft list added today.

Flying display:
+Russian Air Force Yak-130
+Pakistan Navy Harbin Z9
AirAsia A321 x3 CANCELLED

Static display
+Turkish Aerospace Industries ANKA
+Agusta AW189

http://www.limaexhibition.com/download/ ... 150219.pdf
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Return to “2019 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”