2019 Dayton Air Show

Discussion relating to 2019 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Grunt087

Post by Grunt087 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:42 pm

I talked to the crew of the NASA S-3 Viking and they said they were flying back to Cleveland Monday between 10:00 am and 12:00. The airframe is being retired by the end of the year so this may be the last chance to take flying pictures of it.
1 x

ssims45

Post by ssims45 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:17 am

A FYIs for anyone attending tomorrow...

The busses for the “on-site” parking take FOREVER. Consider parking at the NMUSAF and paying $3/person. The 30 minute ride is well worth not standing in that line.

Also, the posted schedule wasn’t followed at all today other than opening and closing acts. I don’t know why they changed it up but everything went well...other than holding the Legacy Flight crews on deck, running, for the entire C-17/KC-135 routine.

Overall the show was good. Probably not on par with previous Dayton lineups but a good mix that flowed well throughout the day. The spectator area is laid out well and provided plenty of room to move around throughout the day.
0 x

AndrewB2003

Post by AndrewB2003 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:00 am

Putting the shuttle to the parking lot nightmare aside, it was a great show, and I have to admit, that I am both surprised and disappointed that the number of people attending was significantly lower than normal.... In 2018, the number was 62,000. This year, it was only 49,000.
IMHO, the show lineup was great, and I hope to get some pics uploaded here. In the meantime, I'll be putting them on my Instagram page:
https://www.instagram.com/plane_spotter_dude/
Also, I was able to rent a Canon 100-400mm II L lens to pair with my T4i, thanks to great folks at the Canon booth!

Thanks,
Andrew
0 x
Andrew
Aviation photographer
Canon EOS Rebel T4i |100-400mm

Grunt087

Post by Grunt087 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:43 pm

The airshow was ok but the line up was very limited in numbers compared to other airshows. Most airshows figure if they can get the Thunderbirds or the Blue Angels and a bouncy castle that's all they really need to get the Joe Six Pack customers and the three kids to pay the big bucks to come in the door to buy $10 Hot dogs and $8 drinks . The Harrier was a good addition and the S-3 Viking from Nasa in the static display was great to see. There was only one WW2 plane in the air with the F18's and the KC-135,C17 demo from the Military. Sean Tucker is the best acrobatic pilot around but everyone has seen the act a thousand times and the Geico T-6 formation was ok but it is just T-6's. The bus trip to parking was not that bad they just had a delay while the Thunderbirds flew over the road to parking. I may be jaded but please don't call the line up "great". It was best they could do for the limited amount of money they wanted to spend and I appreciate them for trying. Just take down the sign on the way in to the show saying that the Dayton Vectren Airshow is the" Best Airshow in the World " because it is Not. It is not even the Best Airshow in Ohio.
0 x

Return to “2019 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”