Airshow London 2019

Discussion relating to 2019 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
yyz64

Post by yyz64 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:19 am

mstares wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:19 pm Insider email yesterday announced a Vampire as flying. I am ASSUMING this may also do some formation passes with the CF-18.
Yes the insider email announced the Vampire and it was already listed on the website. Those infamous words 2 weeks ago of prepare to be blown away are sounding rather shallow right now.There is no reason to hold anything back at this point again what kind of marketing is this?
1 x

Brian

Post by Brian » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:37 am

just wait til the cancellations start rolling in
0 x

EricP

Post by EricP » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:15 am

I have attended this show for the past two years and overall I have enjoyed it. That said, I won't be attending this year. There were several shows I was considering when planning out my schedule earlier this year that were within a month or so of ASL. ASL only listed the usual CF-18, Snowbirds and A-10 demo team on the schedule. The other shows had all announced the majority of their acts, so ultimately I had to select from those shows as I knew ASL wouldn't announce any sort of lineup until the August timeframe. Hard to plan travel to attend a show when you won't know what know what is going to be there until less than a month beforehand. It's looking like I made the right decision based on the announcements to date given the show is a little over 3 weeks away.
1 x
Eric P.

Faust

Post by Faust » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:22 am

EricP wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:15 am I have attended this show for the past two years and overall I have enjoyed it. That said, I won't be attending this year. There were several shows I was considering when planning out my schedule earlier this year that were within a month or so of ASL. ASL only listed the usual CF-18, Snowbirds and A-10 demo team on the schedule. The other shows had all announced the majority of their acts, so ultimately I had to select from those shows as I knew ASL wouldn't announce any sort of lineup until the August timeframe. Hard to plan travel to attend a show when you won't know what know what is going to be there until less than a month beforehand. It's looking like I made the right decision based on the announcements to date given the show is a little over 3 weeks away.
This.

This is what I was talking about last year, when I was told to "have faith". Now, I did, and the show was great, but my point was that if you want to attract business, then you've got to build excitement. I know the marketing "strategy" (such as it is) is to get people to "wait with baited breath", but as I warned, this has a down side. You build up too much hype, and wait too long, and people just give up.

I'm sure the ASL crew are doing the best work possible in getting planes, and we all know that's not easy.

However, they need to shift their marketing to getting the acts, confirming them, and then getting them up ASAP.

How many other Eric P's are there out there? I still don't have my tickets yet, because I'm still "waiting to be blown away".

Lets have it already! It's the 11th hour, so get the cards on the table, ASL!
1 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:15 pm

Insider e-mail:

B-17 Menphis Belle and C-47 Whiskey 7 added to flying display!
0 x
Dan Gagnon

Brian

Post by Brian » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:29 pm

EricP wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:15 am I have attended this show for the past two years and overall I have enjoyed it. That said, I won't be attending this year. There were several shows I was considering when planning out my schedule earlier this year that were within a month or so of ASL. ASL only listed the usual CF-18, Snowbirds and A-10 demo team on the schedule. The other shows had all announced the majority of their acts, so ultimately I had to select from those shows as I knew ASL wouldn't announce any sort of lineup until the August timeframe. Hard to plan travel to attend a show when you won't know what know what is going to be there until less than a month beforehand. It's looking like I made the right decision based on the announcements to date given the show is a little over 3 weeks away.

exactly, i am now not too pleased that i wasted the money on airfare, tickets, motel room, rent a car, this will be my last asl, i won't be fooled again, we keep hearing about letting the others have their day, all i want to know is why? if i could get my money back i would already be cancelling
0 x

Faust

Post by Faust » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:48 pm

Brian wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:29 pm I am now not too pleased that i wasted the money on airfare, tickets, motel room, rent a car, this will be my last asl, i won't be fooled again, we keep hearing about letting the others have their day, all i want to know is why? if i could get my money back i would already be cancelling
While the show isn't living up to what it suggested it might be, I am sorry to hear that you're that disappointed, Brian.

There is a lot of neat stuff on the ground this year, and I'm looking forward to the Buff. However, I only have to drive across town. I feel for you with the motel and car, let alone the airfare.

As for others having their day... I also wonder why. I'm a fan of "Strike first, strike hard, strike often"; grab what you can get and be the last, best one standing.
0 x

Brian

Post by Brian » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:02 pm

Faust wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:48 pm
Brian wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:29 pm I am now not too pleased that i wasted the money on airfare, tickets, motel room, rent a car, this will be my last asl, i won't be fooled again, we keep hearing about letting the others have their day, all i want to know is why? if i could get my money back i would already be cancelling
While the show isn't living up to what it suggested it might be, I am sorry to hear that you're that disappointed, Brian.

There is a lot of neat stuff on the ground this year, and I'm looking forward to the Buff. However, I only have to drive across town. I feel for you with the motel and car, let alone the airfare.

As for others having their day... I also wonder why. I'm a fan of "Strike first, strike hard, strike often"; grab what you can get and be the last, best one standing.
i agree, the statics are great, i am also happy to see the osprey and buff added, but as it looks, arrival day will be the best day, departure day, well, we'll see, 2 years ago, last time i was at asl, everything departed away from the photo pit so all you saw was the rear end of the planes, people outside the area at the far end had better photos of departing planes than what people in the photo pit got, least the year before everything took off towards the photo pit
0 x

Bokimon

Post by Bokimon » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:01 pm

Same here, I am planning to fly in from Calgary and already booked my hotel but the ASL for this year isn't impressing me too much. The warbird flights may help but the statics don't impress me too much now that I have become so accustomed to the restrictions on photos unless I buy the photographer package for top dollar.
I will wait and see and maybe do the Sunday and Mon Dep.
The last two years I have followed this program, it has been exemplary, possibly the best military airshow in the whole country. It is still up there but maybe this years edition no longer meets the expectations since it outdid itself in the years past.
0 x

Zoooomboom

Post by Zoooomboom » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:53 pm

At this point, based on announcements to date, unless the blue Angels or an aerobatic spitfire show is announced, I'll be skipping this year's.

The whole trickling out of announcements until show day continues to be stupid.
0 x

Return to “2019 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”