Airshow London 2019

Discussion relating to 2019 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
yyz64

Post by yyz64 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:00 pm

Like I mentioned, it's not the guys in ops that are the problem.It's the people in what they call the marketing department who say one thing and do nothing.Same as last year and they said they wouldn't repeat the mistakes again.Why put on the website that you can buy tickets at the local mall and you better hurry in case they sell out(yeah right) but don't /won't release even when they say they are going to .Radio silence is not a marketing tool
1 x

mstares

Post by mstares » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:45 pm

We've been told there is more coming. Looking at last year's thread there were a number of August announcement. I suspect previous years may show the same trend. Until told otherwise I expect, the announcement delays relate to the various intricacies of booking military attendees.
2 x

Faust

Post by Faust » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:59 am

I remember this same kind of discussion last year. I was one of the ones on the frustrated side. There was a lot of talk about different marketing schemes, and while it made no sense to me, I just decided to swallow my complaints and see what came out of it all.

I personally think things should be updated as soon as they're conrfirmed. I don't get radio silence as a marketing tool. I think it's counterproductive, personally.

However, I don't have the time to do it myself, so I'll leave it to the guys who have, by rights, delivered an awesome airshow every year since coming back.

Do I agree with their methods? Not really. Do I think they should update more often, especially when they make claims about being blown away? Yes, I do. Am I worried about the lack of 5th Generation stuff? Yes... yes I am.

Do I have faith in the team. Yeah, I have to. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but I will also say that the doubt is large, right now.

I do wish they'd change their methods, but clearly this is the way they want to do it.
1 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:49 pm

From the ASL insider e-mail:

"Dear Insider,

AIRSHOW LONDON is excited to announce that the F-35 Lightning A will be returning this year for a close-up viewing in the static display.

ASL has been fortunate to have the F-35 in the past two shows and are pleased to have the 58th Fighter Squadron from Hill AFB, Utah joining us for the 2019 show."
0 x
Dan Gagnon

Faust

Post by Faust » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:53 pm

Well, that's something!

I wonder if we're going to ever get a full demo on one. The one demo we had was quite restrained. Given the installed thrust, that thing should really boot. They've also lifted a lot of maneuver restrictions, so it could make a fun show plane.

Here's hoping (in vain) for a "B" model demo! :)

It's weird. I literally just checked the website and there was nothing there. I wonder how long the update will take?

At least this is a step in the right direction!
1 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:56 pm

Faust wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:53 pm Well, that's something!

I wonder if we're going to ever get a full demo on one. The one demo we had was quite restrained. Given the installed thrust, that thing should really boot. They've also lifted a lot of maneuver restrictions, so it could make a fun show plane.

Here's hoping (in vain) for a "B" model demo! :)

It's weird. I literally just checked the website and there was nothing there. I wonder how long the update will take?

At least this is a step in the right direction!
The ACC does have a full demo out this year. The e-mails get released before they publicly announce it on their social media platforms and website. The last update was a day difference between the insider e-mail and it going live on the website/facebook etc.
Last edited by Dan Gagnon on Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Dan Gagnon

Brian

Post by Brian » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:37 pm

having recently just seen the awesome F35 demo, this static is really a sad addition
1 x

Faust

Post by Faust » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:53 pm

Brian wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:37 pm having recently just seen the awesome F35 demo, this static is really a sad addition
I'd like to see them flying, but at least, if it's here, it has to come in and land, and then take off again! It's nice for me, as a modeller, to have it at close hand too, to see it and check lots of details. It's especially nice if it's one in the newer paint scheme.

Also, at least it's a fifth-gen platform, so there's something to be said for that.
2 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:59 pm

Arrival day on the Thursday last year was definately entertaining! I'd highly recommend it, if you're able to get the time off. Like you said, the static jets do have to arrive, and most (not all) may do a missed approach or 2.
Last edited by Dan Gagnon on Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Dan Gagnon

mstares

Post by mstares » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:36 pm

Arrivals days and the evening show are pure gold for me... the repeated beating up of the field is so satisfying to watch and to photograph.

The F-35 on static is a nice add. It is a rare-ish thing for a non base show (Especially a non-American show) to have more than one ACC demo. Though the F-35 Demo team has a gap in the schedule that weekend, but for the current Fighter competition (Likely why 2017 saw the F-35 heritage flight and the non ACC, Super Hornet Demo), it would be unrealistic to expect a late add of another ACC demo on top of the A-10.

Looking forward to the Canadian additions now... speaking of unrealistic I would love to see a the Buffalo return, and with a proper topside pass or low approach!
2 x

Return to “2019 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”