Royal International Air Tattoo 2019

Discussion relating to 2019 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:33 am

Adam wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:31 pm Credible rumours following the Yeovilton show today that the Spanish Navy Harrier pair will only be a singleton on Sunday. Another huge kick in the teeth if true.
Well that aged well! :D You may wish to choose more carefully where you get your 'credible' rumours from.

All in all, a good solid RIAT. Plenty of good stuff in there like the Special formations, EAV-8Bs, MiG-21, Su-27 and that Finnish F-18C. Also a great selection of specially marked aircraft and the 'Space themed' Techno Zone was an excellent visit.

The operational constraints from participating air arms that RIAT was under this year certainly didn't help with the imbalance in displays over the weekend. Hopefully 2019 will be an extreme one-off and things will return to normal for 2020 onwards. Sunday did feel very short after the marathon on Saturday. The late finish on Saturday certainly did nothing to help the car parks empty but then again, neither did the behaviour of drivers! (at least in Blue)

It was however good some air arms/operators go that extra mile to support the event. NATO managed to find another E-3 after the designated airframe suffered an issue en-route to Fairford (Yes, even the replacement went tech on Saturday but it did fly on Friday), the CV-22B Crew for their patience on the Sunday (waiting at Brize for three hours for a rescheduled display slot) and the efforts of the Red Arrows and Patrouille de France to reschedule their double Concorde formation.

Next year could be an interesting year as RIAT organises itself around the improvement works at Fairford. Those works will accommodate RIAT so there is no threat to the event being staged but the show will lose some of the facilities it has used upto and included 2019.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:04 pm

Flightline Uk wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:33 am
Adam wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:31 pm Credible rumours following the Yeovilton show today that the Spanish Navy Harrier pair will only be a singleton on Sunday. Another huge kick in the teeth if true.
Well that aged well! :D You may wish to choose more carefully where you get your 'credible' rumours from.
One of the Harrier display pilots via UK Airshow Review. I'm glad, as everyone else surely is, that it turned out to be wrong, but short of getting the news directly from the organisers or pilots, I'd say that's as credible as a rumour can get when it comes to UK airshow information.
Flightline Uk wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:33 am The late finish on Saturday certainly did nothing to help the car parks empty but then again, neither did the behaviour of drivers! (at least in Blue)
I heard some shocking feedback about entry and exit from red and blue on Saturday! I wholly reccomend the shuttle bus service which was extremely impressive. I was on a bus driving out within about 5 minutes of arriving at Swindon Bus Station and again within five minutes of leaving the yellow gate on Sunday. A superbly-run service.
Last edited by Adam on Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Flightline Uk

Post by Flightline Uk » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:11 pm

Adam, I'm honestly not having a go but just trying to give some helpful advice after several years experience as I've already been there and come off worse in the past. What is disappointing is that you've posted third party information off another forum without reference and then rewritten it suggesting something that was wasn't in the original post and added the word 'credible.' I also saw that original post from Sam Wise on UKAR too. He did not actually suggest the Harrier Duo was NOT FLYING but just there would be a solo display on the Sunday. Several other people fell for it as well - perhaps the original intent of the post as quoted below!
Good news for Sunday goers, you'll see something those going on Friday and Saturday won't see - a singleton Harrier display! That's according to the Spanish guys at Yeovilton
Perhaps an additional solo was a possibility at some point before the show but it never happened. Either way the post was in no way definitive about what was actually happening and perhaps a little fact-checking would have helped. Intentional or unintentional publication of false information ultimately does no one any favours.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:22 pm

That is an entirely fair comment, @Flightline Uk, and I apologise. Indeed, the possibility of a solo and pairs display isn't an option that had even entered my mind. As far as I can remember I actually got the info from the Twitter account of one of their staffers, I should have embedded the original post so people could make their own judgement but lazily ommited to do so - it won't happen again.
Last edited by Adam on Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Rhino93

Post by Rhino93 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:01 pm

Well I finally made it over to RIAT this year.. hands down the best show I've ever been too, doesn't compare to anything in North America. Although Friday weather was up and down all day they still managed to fly quite a bit! The lack of a huge crowd made for the perfect opportunity to check out the statics as well. If we had that weather over here they would have scrapped the entire day for sure. Saturday was a crazy 8hrs + of flying, absolutely amazing! You guys really get spoiled having a show like this every year, I can't believe the amount of complaints I've seen on other forums and even heard from people at the show about this year.. I even saw a guy just about throw his camera when they announced the NATO E-3 went mechanical on Saturday, pretty unbelievable. Anyway, a few photos for now! I'll definitely be heading back in the future!

ImageBelgian Air Component - F-16AM by Ryan Orshinsky, on Flickr

ImageSpainish Navy - EVA-8B Harrier II by Ryan Orshinsky, on Flickr

ImageUkrainian Air Force - SU-27P Flanker by Ryan Orshinsky, on Flickr

ImageUkrainian Air Force - SU-27P Flanker by Ryan Orshinsky, on Flickr
Last edited by Rhino93 on Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ryan
Quebec, Canada

mstares

Post by mstares » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:56 pm

RIAT number 6 for me is in the can. Made it back home to YYT late Wednesday evening (Really missing the LHR-YYT direct flight which has been axed pending the return to service 737 Max 8).

I have mixed feelings on this year's event but most of that is on me, not RIAT. I am still shaking my head at the vitriol I am reading in other forums.

As is usual, we did the full 6 days (Arrivals, Show days and Departures), For both arrivals days we did Park and View East, getting to the parking lot a little after 7. This put us at the end of a very long queue both days but I treat arrivals as more relaxed than the routine show days, getting up at 'zero dark stupid' to race for the fence line is not in the cards. Instead we strolled in on opening and headed the back of the eastern end of the step ladder enclosure. I find that standing back against the fence, you are shooting over the heads of those on the crowdline so you get the same shots without half of the mucking about or crowding.

Wednesday was slow (Though more than enough to keep me entertained), with the bulk of the arrivals coming in on Thursday. My first couple of years attending I really enjoyed arrivals days. The mix of never before seen aircraft (for me), multiple approaches and practice demos was awesome. Alas, I am becoming a bit jaded. As will become a theme, I noted that a lot of the once ''new" types had now become the 'same old' and that the aircraft that were still 'new to me' tended to arrive when everything was clouded over (Phantoms etc). This lead to a sense of frustration that built throughout the week, as shots I was chasing too often turned out to be grey on grey low contrast messes. Too often when there was sun there was no aircraft, and when there was aircraft there was no sun (At least you would occasionally get the dark/black cloud background which can make for funky light) To be clear, this is not on RIAT, when one attends an air show in England you 'pays your money and takes your chances' re: weather.

The one growing downside of arrivals which is likely in RIAT's control are the nature of arrivals. Arriving fighters making multiple passes and beating up the field (One of the things that really sells the London Ontario show to me) is essentially a thing of the past (the Vador F-16 being one of the few exceptions with a nice low level pass on arrival). I don't know why this has dried up but a likely culprit suggested on the UKAR board is the Skyvan photoship which a lot of the incoming fighters formate with for air to air photo sessions. This may account for a lot of the fighters coming straight in to land (often without even an overhead break), the fuel they would have burnt of in approaches was eaten up by the Skyvan time. In any event some of the joy or arrivals day has been lost.

So.... Friday... again weather is a risk beyond the control of the show. When I saw the 'final' forecast early Friday morning, I contemplated skipping the day. Nope, the show must go on! We went in and did a lap of the show ground before the planned start of the planned flying display... and we were soaked through by the time we were done - the heavens opened mid walk. I come from a wet climate, grin and bear it was the order of the day.

I was impressed they still managed to get a few acts in the air on the Friday. Once they announced the cancellation of the NATO flypast we packed it in however.... thought not before another full lap of the show ground - there were patches to be bought after all.

Saturday meant up at 5, out the door of the hotel at 6 to get to the blue lot and queue for the FRIAT entrance. Rather than sit in the FRIAT grandstand we prefer to bring our own chairs and sit at the fence line in front of the grandstand. The line up for Saturday was great and with the exception of a number of cancellations of NATO flypast participants it ran well. The weather alas was hit and miss again. Whilst we had no further real precipitation the weekend, the sun was fickle.... I never did get a well lit shot of the Mig 21 demo and I doubt I will get another opportunity.

The end of Saturday brings my one primary criticism of the RIAT organization. As we experienced in several past years. Getting out of the parking lot at the end of the day was a complete nightmare. It took us almost 90 minutes and there were many others who took much longer. It was a complete gong show. There were insufficient parking lot marshals an those who were there did absolutely nothing (Except one guy in the western end of blue lot who was suggesting to people to leave through a fence opening that was supposed to be closed and head out on a closed road...) for roughly an hour until social media upheaval forced RIAT to act. When you are one of those behind the wheel,the mounting rage it really sucks the fun out of the day

Weather wise Sunday was more of the same. Yes the schedule was 'thin' compared to Saturday but it was still 8 ish hours of flying including a bunch of fast mover demos. There was a thin block mid afternoon, but this provided time for another lap of the show ground in the hunt for patches. I am still confused as to the rationale for the A400M and Blades flypast but hey if they want to put that off, carry on... just, please, don't call it epic.

Speaking of epic... my patch haul was indeed epic. It is an addiction I need to cut back on. Most European squadron attendees doing trade were selling patches for £4 - £10. Most US attendees, however, were looking for £10 per patch minimum whilst the Lakenheath crowd, on Friday at least, wanted £20- £40 per patch. That is insane. I set a £10 limit this year except for one or two RIAT specials. Even squadron stickers or zap sheets are escalating, £5 for some!

I have to make special mention of the 405 Squadron Aurora Crew. they were selling a range of patches for £5 and squadron ball hats for £10 (quite reasonable). I remember when 415 squadron were thru RIAT a couple of years a go their prices were extortionate in comparison!

That leaves departures day. If I could do only one day at RIAT, it would be departures day (From the FRIAT enclosure at least). In the space of 4 or 5 hours you have upwards of 200 military aircraft depart in front of you.... some of them even doing it in style. It went quite well this year, the sun even made some strategic appearances. The hard part of course is that you have to cut it off at some point (Highways must be travelled, rental cars must be returned etc etc). When the Phantoms were delayed, we set them as our cut off point. They left after 2pm, I got my shots and we left shortly thereafter, missing the B-52, 100th KC-135 with vintage markings, Qatar C-17 etc... had to be done.

Even a bad RIAT is magnitudes better than any other air show I have ever attended. This was not a bad RIAT, it had a line up which would be earth shattering in North America but, this year, it was merely middle of the road of what RIAT can be (Every year RIAT works hard to attract both quality and quantity and sometimes the stars do not fully align). The Turkish Phantoms, Romanian Migs and Spanish Harriers were stand out items but the rest of the show for me was mainly things I had seen before but now in poor light. Had it been the exact same line up with wall to wall sun I'd be raving about this year. Alas I have become spoiled... and will be back next year!

Mark

4 x

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:45 pm

Our first time at Park and View on Thursday at RIAT. I loved it!! It was so relaxed, no loud music from the various showground attractions, plenty of room to move and we sat so close the Red Arrows on apron that we thoroughly enjoyed it all. The landing planes were touching down very close to us and the rehearsals were fab (Reds were a bit ragged, by their standards, but really pulled it out of the bag for the show days, of course).

We felt no need to get there very early so we missed the queues to get in :) Hubby would have liked more stalls because he wanted souvenirs....

Friday was hideous rain although it made good photos of the Harrier arriving and shifting massive amount of spray from the runway :lol: .
Weather was not RIAT's fault. We made the most of it and because there was not a massive number of displays to watch we actually got chance to chat to some extremely interesting and friendly people (special shout out for Ian Mills, chipmunk G-AMUF). Hubby shopped the patches and I bought a lovely enamel badge of a T6 Harvard to commemorate my flying in said plane the week before at Duxford when I got to take the stick for a couple of turns :D
Traffic was fine coming in and leaving.

Saturday was WOW! We loved it all. I couldn't choose the best solo display, 3 fast jets were stand out displays that made me gasp - Su-27, the Finnish F/A 18, the Typhoon!!, ooh and the Grippen, and as ever, the A400m does a fab start to their display. Loved the novelty of the NATO flypast and BOAC with the Reds, but that is probably because I am an amatuer and a girl :lol: :lol:

Traffic leaving was abominable. We had VIP pass to get in and it worked well in the morning. Getting out took about 90 mins :x

Next show? London Ontario! Our first foreign show.
1 x

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:47 pm

Mark, your photos are fabulous! Thank you for sharing.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:53 am

Great photos indeed, Mark.

As for the vitriol, I do get it, I really do. I think there's a perception that some moaners truly believe RIAT is an all-round poor airshow. I doubt many of them really mean that - I certainly didn't on these forums either. I suspect, more often, it is simply that many long-standing RIAT regulars are becoming deeply concerned that show they passionately love is going in a direction they're not confortable with. Some of the complaints are patently absurd, but many are very valid. By and large I don't see it as vitriol for what RIAT 2019 actually was, but affection for what RIAT has been in the past, and fear for what it might soon become.
2 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

mstares

Post by mstares » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:27 pm

Folks,

Thanks for the compliments.

Ryan, great shots, were you set up in Red?

Adam, I haven't re-read your prior comments, but I think it is entirely fair ball for you (or anyone) to express disappointment if the line up is not moving you or to constructively criticize aspects of the show. The outrage I saw elsewhere however was, well, wow.

Anyways, more photos (including before and after for the USAF F-16s tail... )!

4 x

Return to “2019 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”