Abbotsford International Airshow 2019

Discussion relating to 2019 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
cf18hornet

Post by cf18hornet » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:32 am

RyanS wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:23 pm

Abby fans do not have a good reputation in the wider industry.
As said by someone on the east side of the continent. Abby fans may not have a good reputation from where you reside but that’s a biased opinion because your surrounded by everyone out east and never get to hear the actual point of view from out west. After following airshow forums for 15+ years fans of the eastern shows don’t have a very good reputation here out west. However some fans(usually a very small few) unfortunately give a poor reputation for the all the fans including the ones who don’t feel entitled and just simply post about their disappointments or not post at all. People are allowed to be disappointed. It’s human nature. You can’t judge everyone by these few. Just like after reading the forums of Airshow London and the RIAT the last few years, I don’t judge everyone based on the couple members that had nothing good to say. I could have lumped them all together but I know that most airshows fans are civil and understand the logistics of how an airshow works. There are only so many acts to go around. This is why I don’t judge all because of one or two people. I’ve lived my entire life in Abbotsford and have been going to every show since I was four in 1979 so I’ve been around many fans over the years but I can’t say I’ve ever met one person who felt entitled. Disappointed at times? Yes. But not entitled. Of course there’s always that one guy who just likes to complain. But they usually aren’t a true airshow fan and thankfully they just simply go away after not receiving any acknowledgement.

So let’s just hope every airshow succeeds to the fullest this year with some extra surprises that leaves everyone very satisfied. I admit I was disappointed when i found out the Red Arrows weren’t coming to Abby but am lucky enough to be a six hour drive away from Portland which is where I’ll be headed in September. I am also very happy for all the other shows that got the Red Arrows. Whether your on the west coast or the east coast we’re all airshow fans and we all need to support as many shows as we can and to help keep the airshow industry strong.
Last edited by cf18hornet on Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:28 am, edited 5 times in total.
3 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:26 am

cf18hornet wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:32 am
RyanS wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:23 pm

Abby fans do not have a good reputation in the wider industry.
As said by someone on the east side of the continent. Abby fans may not have a good reputation from where you reside but that’s a biased opinion because your surrounded by everyone out east and never get to hear the actual point of view from out west. After following airshow forums for 15+ years fans of the eastern shows don’t have a very good reputation here out west. However some fans(usually a very small few) unfortunately give a poor reputation for the all the fans including the ones who don’t feel entitled and just simply post about their disappointments or not post at all. People are allowed to be disappointed. It’s human nature. You can’t judge everyone by these few. Just like after reading the forums of Airshow London and the RIAT the last few years, I don’t judge everyone based on the couple members that had nothing good to say. I could have lumped them all together but I know that most airshows fans are civil and understand the logistics of how an airshow works. There are only so many acts to go around. This is why I don’t judge all because of one or two people. I’ve lived my entire life in Abbotsford and have been going to every show since since I was four in 1979 so I’ve been around many fans over the years but I can’t say I’ve ever met one person who felt entitled. Disappointed at times? Yes. But not entitled. Of course there’s always that one guy who just likes to complain. But they usually aren’t a true airshow fan and thankfully they just simply go away after never receiving acknowledgement.

So let’s just hope every airshow succeeds to the fullest this year with some extra surprises that leaves everyone very satisfied. I admit I was disappointed when i found out the Red Arrows weren’t coming to Abby but am lucky enough to be a six hour drive away from Portland which is where I’ll be headed in September. I am also very happy for all the other shows that got the Red Arrows. Whether your on the west coast or the east coast we’re all airshow fans and we all need to support as many shows as we can and to help keep the airshow industry strong.
Well said I agree with you 100%.

I feel that Ryan may have come off a little harsh on Abby fans and personally I was going to express my thoughts, but I’m sure he did not mean it in an insulting way.

As cf18hornet mentioned, there are always a few groups of people that have given shows a bad rep because of their lack of knowledge or just sheer disappointment. It’s not that they intend to do it but they simply don’t know any better. Ryan has a point when you look back at previous threads about Abbotsford. It’s certainly not an image I want us Abbotsford fans to have.

With that being said, I do want to say that even though I may not be someone that has attended Abbotsford since the beginning, I’ve surely been there enough to know people that have. They can vouch for me when I say that Abbotsford has one of the most appreciative crowds in the west coast.

In the end we are all fans who have one common interest in mind and that’s aviation! Let’s look forward to another surprised filled event.

Cheers,
Hawk
Last edited by AirshowHawk on Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Rickoshey

Post by Rickoshey » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:44 pm

Is anyone else having difficulty getting on the AIA website ?
0 x

AvgeekJoe

Post by AvgeekJoe » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:59 pm

Rickoshey wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:44 pm Is anyone else having difficulty getting on the AIA website ?
Me too
0 x

Rickoshey

Post by Rickoshey » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:20 am

Think IT need to 'turn it off and turn it on again'. ;)
0 x

Viper93

Post by Viper93 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:35 am

Lol, maybe the Reds not coming broke the website :D They need to get it back up and running again ASAP.
2 x

SnowbirdsFanatic

Post by SnowbirdsFanatic » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:09 pm

AirshowHawk wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:20 pm
SnowbirdsFanatic wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:21 pm And last time I checked it wasn't a two day flight from Abbotsford to Gatineau. Yeh I know...it's a mute point.

But I digress....
The Red Arrows aren't expected to arrive in North America until the day before the Abbotsford show (Aug 8) so logistically speaking even with fingers crossed, they wouldn't go out of their way to fly out to the west for 1 show without rest, practice and a proper sight survey. Regardless, my previous statement about sulking was not ill-intended and I apologize if it came off as that.

Now let's get back on topic here, who is excited for the Thunderbirds and their C-17 support aircraft? ;)
Thank you for the apology. Stoked for the Thunderbirds and the Snowbirds! The Blue Angels didn't disappoint last year. Will be another great Airshow for 2019 in Abbotsford
3 x
Gary 8-)

LAXSPOTTER97

Post by LAXSPOTTER97 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:27 pm

Website still down, kinda getting ridiculous.
1 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:57 pm

Perhaps the site is getting re-tooled or getting a makeover? No need to really panic or get upset. If it were the week of the show, I'd understand all the frustration, but the show is still 6 months away...
1 x
Dan Gagnon

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:45 am

As per the Abbotsford Airshow media pages:
NOTICE: Our website experienced a server issue and is in the process of being restored. Sorry for the inconvenience!

In the meantime, tickets can still be purchased here: https://airshow.ticketopslive.com/
https://twitter.com/AbbyAirshow/status/ ... 4804595712
Last edited by AirshowHawk on Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Return to “2019 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”