Abbotsford International Airshow 2019

Discussion relating to 2019 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:49 am

101voodoo wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:14 pm And stick around Sunday after the show. Any navy stuff usually leaves soon after the show. And any rescue type of aircraft will sometimes depart when the show is done.
Not to mention by sticking around a little bit after, you can avoid the traffic jam that forms as everyone tries to make their way off the airfield.

On Monday, 8 AM tends to be the time I aim for if I have the opportunity to catch departures. If you love low screaming over-head passes, King road is the place to be for Monday.
Last edited by AirshowHawk on Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

JA Boomer

Post by JA Boomer » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:17 am

AirshowHawk wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:49 am On Monday, 8 AM tends to be the time I aim for if I have the opportunity to catch departures. If you love low screaming over-head passes, King road is the place to be for Monday.
I've been on Huntingdon for the last 15 years, I've never really given King a chance because I like seeing what's going on and even taking taxing pictures. Can you compare the two? How often do crews stay low all the way to King?
1 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:22 am

JA Boomer wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:17 am I've been on Huntingdon for the last 15 years, I've never really given King a chance because I like seeing what's going on and even taking taxing pictures. Can you compare the two? How often do crews stay low all the way to King?
Well I can’t say one is better than the other. It all really comes down to if you’re filming and taking pictures or just generally spectating. I know most of the photographers have their choice spots. Generally for me Huntington is the prime spot for arrivals and King Rd for departures. I love the noise and on departure day the best way to experience that is on King.

Here’s an old video I found uploaded by someone on YouTube from King Rd. It really speaks for itself. www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE-NLgBjhrM
Last edited by AirshowHawk on Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

AvgeekJoe

Post by AvgeekJoe » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:43 am

AirshowHawk wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:22 am
JA Boomer wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:17 am I've been on Huntingdon for the last 15 years, I've never really given King a chance because I like seeing what's going on and even taking taxing pictures. Can you compare the two? How often do crews stay low all the way to King?
Well I can’t say one is better than the other. It all really comes down to if you’re filming and taking pictures or just generally spectating. I know most of the photographers have their choice spots. Generally for me Huntington is the prime spot for arrivals and King Rd for departures. I love the noise and on departure day the best way to experience that is on King.

Here’s an old video I found uploaded by someone on YouTube from King Rd. It really speaks for itself. www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE-NLgBjhrM
You mean Clearbrook Road? King Road is to the north which means you got the sun right smacko in your face again.
0 x

riffraff

Post by riffraff » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:37 pm

Ya, those videos were taken from Clearbrook Rd. You can't even see the airfield from King.
1 x

JA Boomer

Post by JA Boomer » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:43 pm

AirshowHawk wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:22 am Here’s an old video I found uploaded by someone on YouTube from King Rd. It really speaks for itself. www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE-NLgBjhrM
Wow, definitely something to think about. I'd love to get some head-on shots. How quickly do the road shoulders at the end of the runway fill with vehicles in the morning?
Last edited by JA Boomer on Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:51 pm

Ah yes, my apologies, I meant Clearbrook off of King Rd. Momentary lapse of judgement on my part! (You’d think after all these years I’d remember roads in my own town!)

But yes, Clearbrook off of King is the go to for departures.
1 x

101voodoo

Post by 101voodoo » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:57 pm

JA Boomer wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:43 pm
AirshowHawk wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:22 am Here’s an old video I found uploaded by someone on YouTube from King Rd. It really speaks for itself. www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE-NLgBjhrM
Wow, definitely something to think about. I'd love to get some head-on shots. How quickly do the road shoulders at the end of the runway fill with vehicles in the morning?
There is usually lots of room there.
2 x

cf18hornet

Post by cf18hornet » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:01 pm

JA Boomer wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:43 pm
You won't have a problem finding a spot. Many people just come and go and there's plenty of roadway to park.
1 x

AvgeekJoe

Post by AvgeekJoe » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:39 am

Now I learned this from comments on the Abby Airshow Facebook page so you should trust but verify:
Blair Thandi: Joe A Kunzler Not a show, Thursday would be arrivals. There is a mini airshow from 5-8PM on that day as well. The CF-18 goes up as the sun is setting, and it looks amazing.
I just wish they'd sell tickets to this also... because right now Mr. Joe who wants more A380 pictures feels really... Beyond Sanity prioritizing an airliner and possibly a political chatshow over a second airshow!!!

Sunset is 8:37 PM that night, bTW.
0 x

Return to “2019 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”