Wings Over Northern Michigan 2019

Discussion relating to 2019 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Ack

Post by Ack » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:55 am

And more....
YankeeLady.jpg
YankeeLady.jpg (120.61 KiB) Viewed 7558 times
B2Spirit.jpg
B2Spirit.jpg (132.48 KiB) Viewed 7558 times
A4Skyhawk_2.jpg
A4Skyhawk_2.jpg (150.83 KiB) Viewed 7558 times
Growler_5.jpg
Growler_5.jpg (128.72 KiB) Viewed 7558 times
Growler_7.jpg
Growler_7.jpg (271.96 KiB) Viewed 7558 times
1 x

PWJT8D

Post by PWJT8D » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:02 am

It was another great air show. I always like heading north for this one, smaller crowds, one of the best flight lines gets you really close to the action, especially the taxiway in front of you. The food trucks are amazing. This was my 9th year in a row attending. Anyone know why there wasn't any static aircraft this year? Usually they get a handful at least.
1 x
Andrew Thompson

captmjk16

Post by captmjk16 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:56 pm

I had the honor of being closer than most to the action at (and leading up to) Gaylord. Here's some of what I've got!

1 x

alexp2805-

Post by alexp2805- » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:57 pm

Some sad news out of their Facebook today.

The 2019 event was their last, and will not return for 2020.

Per Facebook,
Wings Over Northern Michigan Airshow will not fly in 2020.

By any matrix the Airshow which just completed its 10th successful year wanted to end on top! This was solidified with the appearance of the most coveted and sought after airshow attraction in the world, the U.S. Air Force B-2 Stealth Spirit Bomber which performed at this year’s airshow. Timing is everything and rather than see the event become stale or routine we wanted to have it end on a high note. In the events 10 year history the airshow has always paid for itself and this year was no different. Barresi and County leadership had thoroughly reviewed the airshow and its future direction and grounding the event was a difficult decision for all but we felt the timing was right. Wings Over Northern Michigan Airshow can retire with much to be proud of. The last two years of the event has seen its largest audience in 2018 of 20,000 + spectators, followed by its largest amount of sponsor dollars received in 2019 at almost $100K.
From wingwalkers and jet school buses to A-10s and pyrotechnics. From historic World War II aircraft and parachutists to Lamborghinis and aerobatic jet teams. The airshow brought big world excitement “up close” to young and old alike.
The event which became bigger each year has actually outgrown our airport and since we are not designed to be a large event venue it would cost untold tens of thousands of dollars to modify the airport infrastructure for the event to continue without scaling it back. We can’t turn back the clock and be a small event as it’s not what any of us want and not what we want to give the public. I cannot thank our airshow team of volunteers, sponsors and community leaders enough for all the tireless work they put into making this event possible these past 10 years. When it comes to “Can Do” people, they are the best!
I greatly appreciated knowing that we could always count on them to make Wings Over Northern Michigan happen!
The airshows retirement only closes one chapter of our history, the airport and its team is going to remain an iatrical part of the community’s fabric through the monthly Veterans Coffee and other events.
I really enjoyed this show. So sad to see it go.
0 x
@AllStarAviation - Instagram
@AllStarAviationPics - Facebook

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:16 pm

I seriously question the explanation given. "The show is TOO GOOD and always makes the money back, so we're shutting it down." What?

If the show makes the money back and brings in that many visitors to the area, it should be a no brainer to continue it. It should not be impossible to run a smaller event if they really need to. It smells like some important details were left out or this is all a negotiating tactic. We'll see, I guess.
1 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

alexp2805-

Post by alexp2805- » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:36 am

RyanS wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:16 pm I seriously question the explanation given. "The show is TOO GOOD and always makes the money back, so we're shutting it down." What?

If the show makes the money back and brings in that many visitors to the area, it should be a no brainer to continue it. It should not be impossible to run a smaller event if they really need to. It smells like some important details were left out or this is all a negotiating tactic. We'll see, I guess.
Totally agree, Ryan. Hopefully they'll announce more details at a later time, but I don't see that happening.
0 x
@AllStarAviation - Instagram
@AllStarAviationPics - Facebook

Return to “2019 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”