Canadian International Air Show 2019

Discussion relating to 2019 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
ssims45

Post by ssims45 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:40 pm

Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere...I've looked but not found a good resource...is a ticket required for this show? I see that the Canadian National Exhibition sells tickets and has all the normal VIP options and what not, but if I were a first timer to the show and looking to take some photos of the performers what are my options? The CIAS website apparently is no more and directs everyone to the CNE website which has ZERO useful info.

I'm considering attending this show primarily to see the RAF Red Arrows. The other "close" show would be New York but I think the crowd will be out of control for that one given the relatively small access roads to Stewart. Plus the NY show overlaps with the Rochester, NY show which is doing a joint ticket with Geneseo, NY the month prior.
0 x

yyz64

Post by yyz64 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:55 pm

You need a ticket to get into the CNE .You can buy seating option tickets for the airshow then you may not need a CNE admission ticket, I'm not sure.It's a terrible place with limited viewing for the airshow since they closed access to the old Ontario Place grounds.Not sure what the seating is like for purchase.
0 x

Sam

Post by Sam » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:38 pm

Marilyn Bell Park is a good place to see the show for free and does not require a ticket to the CNE.
I was told by a couple of people that the Ontario Place grounds were open last year, not sure if a CNE ticket was required for access.

You can buy a ticket to the CNE, make your way through the grounds and find bleacher seating along the lake shore.
VIP seating with hot/cold buffet, open wine and beer bar, soft drinks and water cost around 250-300 CDN last year. You also have an opportunity to meet some of the performers at an autograph table.
Seating next to the VIP area, where you pay for your own food and drink, no autograph table cost around 120 CDN.

HTH
0 x

Ernest Gutschik

Post by Ernest Gutschik » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:28 pm

In my personal opinion, Marilyn Bell Park is the best place to view the show. I’ve been shooting the show since 2014 from there and watching it from there since 2010. No admission required, you’re pretty much a tad west of show center which is fine since it gives you some good side shot angles if anything comes directly overhead to start their performance like the RCAF CF-18 Hornet Demo Team always does and then everything else is right in front of you.

It is an open park so if it does rain there are trees at the back end of park and some hotdog/ice cream trucks around as well usually and you’ve got a great view of the shoreline. Should also be noted that transit is required to get here, you used to be able to drive in when the CNE had their grounds at the park for $25/day but not anymore since they pulled out a few years ago. Once you’re there, it’s nothing but a great event ready to happen right in front of you.

Cheers,

Ernest G.
Last edited by Ernest Gutschik on Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Ernest Gutschik

Post by Ernest Gutschik » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:48 pm

The RCAF CF-18 Hornet Demo Team has announced that they have dropped their performance at this year’s show and swapped it with the Atlantic Canada Int’l Airshow instead. According to their Instagram, the CIAS team said that they will use the extra jet slot with something we haven’t seen in some time. Clue is “bring on some G”. Guess away.

Cheers,

Ernest G.
0 x

yyz64

Post by yyz64 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:26 am

Ok I 'll play

Guess 1 Air cadets glider tow by?
Guess 2 F-16 Demo team
0 x

Chuter

Post by Chuter » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:06 pm

a friend of mine brought up Gord Price and the F-104 Starfighter. He announced in a video he was doing a tour with the jet, so maybe?

Another guess was the Geico Skytypers team.
0 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:51 pm

Chuter wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:06 pm a friend of mine brought up Gord Price and the F-104 Starfighter. He announced in a video he was doing a tour with the jet, so maybe?

Another guess was the Geico Skytypers team.
I also read something about Gord and an F-104. That's definitely something that hasn't been at CIAS in a number of years. The line of "using the extra jet slot for something that hasn't been there in a while", I would hope it wouldn't be a flippy or even the Skytypers (with all due respect), and be some sort of jet aircraft lol
0 x
Dan Gagnon

worldofaviationca

Post by worldofaviationca » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:27 pm

Gord's Nationwide tour is in his Yak-50. The video of him in the F-104 Starfighter is more about his past flying CF-104's in West Germany when he was a member of the RCAF. As awesome as it would be to see Good in a Starfighter over Toronto I don't think it will happen, but who knows weirder things have happened.
0 x

cf18hornet

Post by cf18hornet » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:30 pm

I can’t see it being the Geico Skytypers team because Geico insurance isn’t sold in Canada so business wise that wouldn’t make sense. An F-104 sure would be awesome if that did happen
0 x

Return to “2019 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”