New aircraft, paint scheme for 2019 RAAF Roulettes team

Find out where your favorite performers will be! Be sure to check schedules for updates as they are always subject to change. Also post year-related performer information, such as music lists.
Adam

New aircraft, paint scheme for 2019 RAAF Roulettes team

Post by Adam » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:12 pm

The Air Force Roulettes, the aerobatic team of the Royal Australian Air Force, last week unveiled the paint scheme for their new fleet of PC-21s. They replace the ageing fleet of PC-9s, which the team have used since 1989.

In recent years, the RAAF's entire PC-9 fleet has been painted into the same red and white scheme used by the Roulettes (minus a stylised letter 'R' on the tail fin) so that aircraft can easily be swapped in and out of the team, to keep airframe hours roughly equal across the PC-9 fleet. With the introduction of the new PC-21s, the team planes will recieve brand new, striking black and dark red paint schemes. PC-21s not assigned to the Roulettes will wear retro-style schemes, making it easier for student pilots to distinguish between the top and underside of the aircraft.

With the unveiling of the new Roulettes scheme, the RAAF also confirmed that the team will make their debut on the type at the Australian International Airshow at Avalon, near Melbourne, in March 2019. That will make them the second aerobatic team in the world using the PC-21, following the lead set by Qatar's little-known, unnamed 6-ship team.

The RAAF has orded a total of 49 PC-21s, of which 22 have been delivered so far. The Roulettes fly six aircraft, of which they use five in the display.

I haven't seen the team myself since 2010, when they were on the PC-9. I'm sure their new display on the PC-21 will be every bit as enjoyable and I hope someone on here will be able to share some photos or videos from Avalon next year.

http://australianaviation.com.au/2018/1 ... ur-scheme/
Last edited by Adam on Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:55 pm

Interesting news and excellent insight! I didn't know that bit about the paint schemes that allowed swapping.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com