2017 Abbotsford International Airshow

Discussion relating to 2017 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:48 am

Chris Smallenberg wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:36 pm
AirshowHawk wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:52 pm Weren't you the original webmaster Chris? I think we need to start a petition to bring you back!
Yes indeed. For many years...I originally volunteered to do it back around 2000 when the web site was in rough shape. My goal was always for it to be current and accurate. Not sure what happened but things slowly got updated more and more from the office staff in recent years until I wasn't really doing anything with the web page at all.
If you have the time available, I think you should reach out to the AIAS again. I would be more than happy to volunteer my time to assist you as well. I have past experience in web work and social media, and a great passion for aviation and the local airshow. I am more than willing to take time out of my schedule to do any sort of work that is required to maintain a social media account for them. I feel I might just have to make a sporadic appearance at the airshow office and have a face to face conversation with someone to make this work. The Abbotsford Airshow is something very near and dear to my heart. My father got me hooked on aviation. He worked on a farm very close to the airport and every August when I was a child, he would bring me there so I could enjoy the airshow. Just like myself, he also had a passion for aviation because my grandfather served with the Indian Air Force. Every Monday after the show I would find myself pearched up on my fathers shoulders watching departures. I remember how happy my dad was when he read the newspaper and saw an article about performers attending the upcoming airshow. Back then it was magazines, posters and newspaper articles that reminded you the air show was up and coming. My grandfather was the reason my dad became enthralled with aviation, but I never got a chance to meet my grandfather as he had passed on the month before I was born. My father would often tell me about how much my grandfather loved the airshow. When my father passed away, I was left behind with stories and memories that made my passion for the local show grow exponentially. I wanted to experience those moments my father and grandfather had so I took to the Internet to try and learn about the show. Back then there was not much to work off of. I want to thank you personally Chris Smallenberg, for hosting and sharing your amazing collection of Abbotsford Airshow photography and video footage on Geocities and your site AirshowPhotography back in the day. You also had a part with making the history page come to life on the Abbotsford Airshow website. Those were just some of the main resources that I used in uncovering the history of the show. The Abbotsford International Airshow will remain an integral part of my family history and I am willing to do whatever it takes to take the show to the next level and keep it thriving.
0 x

Viper93

Post by Viper93 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:32 am

Thank you for sharing your story. I too was introduced to aviation by my father. I learn about the history from my dad, and uncles. They said aircraft were so loud, and flew so low, that fences would blow over, and many chickens died. This is why there are berries on the airport grounds, and surrounding areas. If face to face works for you guys, you need to go visit the office for sure. Yeah, it is very odd that the Super Hornet is replaced by an image of the CF-18 Hornet.
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:47 am

Viper93 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:32 am Thank you for sharing your story. I too was introduced to aviation by my father. I learn about the history from my dad, and uncles. They said aircraft were so loud, and flew so low, that fences would blow over, and many chickens died. This is why there are berries on the airport grounds, and surrounding areas. If face to face works for you guys, you need to go visit the office for sure. Yeah, it is very odd that the Super Hornet is replaced by an image of the CF-18 Hornet.
Ahh that reminds me of a quote my father used to tell me about all the time. Back in the day when the Vulcan did its high speed climb, the noise was incredible. As soon as the noise finally dissipated, Bob Singleton would say something along the lines of "The hens in the chicken coupes in Matsqui will be laying square eggs tonight!" My dad always seemed to take special note of that because the farm he worked on was also a poultry farm.
0 x

Frenetic Enigma

Post by Frenetic Enigma » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:20 am

You guys are making me feel old. My first Abbotsford Airshow was 1980. I remember the monstrous roar of the CF-101 Voodoos when they opened the show, the sneaky CF-5 Freedom Fighters entering from behind the crowd, the RAF Vulcan and the debut of the Harrier to name but a few (oh, have to add the SR-71 flyby, when it arrived very shortly after stating they were just stopping in Sacramento for a cup of coffee!). And, yes, many chickens did indeed die - there were many stories that the most notorious for flying low over the poultry farms were the Blue Angels in their old A-4s, and the F-4 Phantoms from Oregon I believe.
Recalling these memories, perhaps that's why I have such high expectations for the AIAS. Throughout the 80s (including the exceptional Expo 86 show), and into the 90s with the debuts of many such as the Russian Knights, Abbotsford was always considered one of the best in the world (up there with Paris and Farnsborough), and I've attended nearly every year since 1980. I guess I have difficulty seeing it now being overshadowed by so many shows, including ones in Canada with much less history and prestige.
Finally, on a side note: I did notice on the FB page that the Blue Angels are scheduled to be here in 2018. That will be a welcome return, assuming they still have enough functional aircraft to perform by then!
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:02 pm

The Blue Angels wont have to worry about having functional aircraft for next years show, as they are upgrading to the Super Hornet at the end of the season.

Thank you for sharing your awesome stories guys, it's always amazing to hear about the connection others have with the show.

Vampy Too is looking great by the way! I just got a chance to spot her this morning.
0 x

Frenetic Enigma

Post by Frenetic Enigma » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:46 pm

I hope the Blue Angels do upgrade, although as posted in the General Airshow forum, that upgrade has not yet been confirmed apparently. Flying either Hornet, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing them again.
The Vamp did look nice in that short video; 16 days till arrivals day!
0 x

Lancerb1b

Post by Lancerb1b » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:24 pm

Hey everyone. I made my way over from fencecheck . I had to pipe in after reading your early childhood air show memories . I used to remember getting so worked up for the show is get myself sick lol. I would sit on my deck in Surrey at 8am and wait to see aircraft flying over the house . I too was an early 80s child , my dad took us to the raspberry field and i still remember cowering when those oregan phantoms would be so low you felt as if u could reach up and touch them. I too miss the hype and build up to the show . Sometimes it's the best part, but this year I'm kind of bored waiting. Regardless I still love living by one of the best consistent shows in the world , and come Thursday I will be putting in lots of overtime hours at the field .
0 x

LAXSPOTTER97

Post by LAXSPOTTER97 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:44 pm

AirshowHawk wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:02 pm The Blue Angels wont have to worry about having functional aircraft for next years show, as they are upgrading to the Super Hornet at the end of the season.
That has not been confirmed, and I doubt its going to happen.
0 x

cf18hornet

Post by cf18hornet » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:20 pm

AirshowHawk wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:02 pm The Blue Angels wont have to worry about having functional aircraft for next years show, as they are upgrading to the Super Hornet at the end of the season.

They're hoping to transition by next year. It isn't set in stone that they are for sure. It sounds like its not as easy to transition as it first thought it was.
0 x

Chris Smallenberg

Post by Chris Smallenberg » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:39 pm

Frenetic Enigma wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:20 am
Finally, on a side note: I did notice on the FB page that the Blue Angels are scheduled to be here in 2018. That will be a welcome return, assuming they still have enough functional aircraft to perform by then!
For 2018 their performance will probably be a solo display with 7 spares. :)
0 x

Return to “2017 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”