2017 Abbotsford International Airshow

Discussion relating to 2017 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Dsotm

Post by Dsotm » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:46 am

So as of right now the only difference between Friday and Saturdays show is F16 demo?
0 x

Viper93

Post by Viper93 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:09 am

You are right, that is the only difference. All the military stuff will be featured in the twilight show. We will see about that NORAD Demo for Friday. The twilight show is almost going to feel like the Friday day show we were all used to. Many more acts still need to be added to the twilight show schedule, like the Smoke N Thunder Jet Truck, Warbirds, and the Jet Powered Glider.
Last edited by Viper93 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Frenetic Enigma

Post by Frenetic Enigma » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:45 am

Viper93 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:09 am You are right, that is the only difference. All the military stuff will be featured in the twilight show. We will see about that NORAD Demo for Friday. The twilight show is almost going to feel like the Friday day show we were all used to. Many more acts still need to be added to the twilight show schedule, like the Smoke N Thunder Jet Truck, Warbirds, and the Jet Powered Glider.
Does this mean the Performers list is now locked and complete? Also, any idea if there'll be further adds to the static lineup?
Finally, are you able to provide any details on what exactly we might be seeing with the NORAD demo? Number and/or types of aircraft flying?
Thanks.
0 x

Viper93

Post by Viper93 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:14 am

Frenetic Enigma wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:45 am
Viper93 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:09 am You are right, that is the only difference. All the military stuff will be featured in the twilight show. We will see about that NORAD Demo for Friday. The twilight show is almost going to feel like the Friday day show we were all used to. Many more acts still need to be added to the twilight show schedule, like the Smoke N Thunder Jet Truck, Warbirds, and the Jet Powered Glider.
Does this mean the Performers list is now locked and complete? Also, any idea if there'll be further adds to the static lineup?
Finally, are you able to provide any details on what exactly we might be seeing with the NORAD demo? Number and/or types of aircraft flying?
Thanks.
Performers list may have a few small additions. There has to be more acts, but the site and Airshow have not done a good job at announcing performers. We have been given information from sources, and thank you guys for letting us know. You know who you are :D :lol:. Static should have more added, because the site has barely anything listed. 24 statics isn't enough, as last year we had way more, and since it is Canada 150, and the 55th anniversary of the show, we deserve more. Last year the F-35's were added less than a week before the show, so we should expect the same. The NORAD Demo from my understanding is F-16's and CF-18's flying together. This was posted on the forum, when someone leaked out the list several months ago :lol:
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:00 pm

I'd like to point out that even in past years on arrival day some things like to show up unexpectedly because they were either confirmed last minute or there just wasn't enough time to update the website. Regardless, the list would only be as accurate as what we already see on the site because once again, nothing is ever set in stone when it comes to Airshows.

Other than this forum, I'd focus on the airshows Twitter and Facebook pages for any more possible updates because they will likely be sharing the news there. They seem to have picked up social media activity lately, which is expected this close to show date. I don't expect the website will change much at this point though, if even at all.
0 x

theairshowdude

Post by theairshowdude » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:04 pm

Frenetic Enigma wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:45 am
Thanks.
From what I understand the NORAD demo is going to go like this. 2 CF-18's (Bandits) will come into "NORAD airspace" and set of an alert at which point 2 F-16's (NORAD) will be scrambled and will intercept the bandits. After that I'm a bit lost. There might be a dogfight but unclear and once the Bandits are intercepted all 4 just will do a few flyby's.
0 x

Frenetic Enigma

Post by Frenetic Enigma » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:25 pm

theairshowdude wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:04 pm From what I understand the NORAD demo is going to go like this. 2 CF-18's (Bandits) will come into "NORAD airspace" and set of an alert at which point 2 F-16's (NORAD) will be scrambled and will intercept the bandits. After that I'm a bit lost. There might be a dogfight but unclear and once the Bandits are intercepted all 4 just will do a few flyby's.
That sounds about right, from what was hinted at earlier; I think the issue they needed to confirm was what would be taking on the role of Bandits.

And I completely agree with Airshow Hawk: I only take a cursory glance at the website these days; FB might have some info at some point, but most news seems to come here first. I do recall the F-35 was a late add last year - not sure if they'll get unconfirmed arrivals on the actual arrival day, but hopefully some more news soon - the Performers list is okay I guess, but the statics are still looking weak.
0 x

theairshowdude

Post by theairshowdude » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:48 pm

Frenetic Enigma wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:25 pm
theairshowdude wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:04 pm From what I understand the NORAD demo is going to go like this. 2 CF-18's (Bandits) will come into "NORAD airspace" and set of an alert at which point 2 F-16's (NORAD) will be scrambled and will intercept the bandits. After that I'm a bit lost. There might be a dogfight but unclear and once the Bandits are intercepted all 4 just will do a few flyby's.
That sounds about right, from what was hinted at earlier; I think the issue they needed to confirm was what would be taking on the role of Bandits.

And I completely agree with Airshow Hawk: I only take a cursory glance at the website these days; FB might have some info at some point, but most news seems to come here first. I do recall the F-35 was a late add last year - not sure if they'll get unconfirmed arrivals on the actual arrival day, but hopefully some more news soon - the Performers list is okay I guess, but the statics are still looking weak.
Originally I think they were looking at F-16 aggressors as bandits but they're busy so the CF-18's will be the bandits instead
0 x

Snowbird552

Post by Snowbird552 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:23 pm

Any rumblings from the Airshow with regards to the reduced visibility from smoke affecting the show? Was down to 3SM this morning.
Last edited by Snowbird552 on Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:34 pm

The visibility would also be my biggest concern at this point. Yesterday as I scoped the horizon from the airport, I couldn't even make out Mt Cheam and Mt Baker in the backgrounds! According to the weather, various factors will affect how soon the smoke particles clear such as wind, low pressure zones ect. and given that we still have a week till show date, I expect by then Baker will peak out over the skyline again. Either way, the show will go on and I would assume the performers would modify their act to a low show if it's still murky out.
Last edited by AirshowHawk on Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Return to “2017 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”