2017 Abbotsford International Airshow

Discussion relating to 2017 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
eacmich

Post by eacmich » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:29 am

Here are some shots from Friday's Twilight show. Part 1

ImageTeam Aeroshell by eacmich, on Flickr

ImageF-18 vs Ferrari by eacmich, on Flickr

ImageF-18 Super Hornet Takeoff by eacmich, on Flickr
0 x

eacmich

Post by eacmich » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:31 am

Part 2

ImageHeritage Flight - F35, F16, F86, P51 by eacmich, on Flickr

ImageF-35 by eacmich, on Flickr

ImageF16 Over head by eacmich, on Flickr
0 x

eacmich

Post by eacmich » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:33 am

and Part 3

ImageF16 Takeoff by eacmich, on Flickr

ImageF35 Takeoff by eacmich, on Flickr

ImageCF-18 Takeoff by eacmich, on Flickr
0 x

Copperbeltjack

Post by Copperbeltjack » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:37 am

Now that's what I'm talking about. Terrific shots, @eacmich!
0 x

cf18hornet

Post by cf18hornet » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:51 am

Frenetic Enigma wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:16 am
cf18hornet wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:36 am
Frenetic Enigma wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:31 pm

He's thinking of the F-22; it performed a full flying demo. The F-35 is only cleared for the Heritage Flight this year; from what I've read, a full demo is planned for 2018 so hopefully we'll see the F-35 back in Abby next year.
The show definitely needs to up its game from this year; the Blues are a good start.

I know he was thinking of the F-22. But you'd think if anyone is going to complain about the Airshow that they'd know their differences in aircraft. I don't know how anyone could be disappointed in this years show. How many shows have three fighter demos, an aerobatic team and a four plane heritage flight including an F-35.
Totally agree on your first point.

But, to play devil's advocate: Airshow London has three fighter demos, an aerobatic team, at least a three plane heritage including an F-35, plus a 4-plane A-10 demo team, the Mig-17 and a static list that puts Abby to shame.
Maybe because I grew up in Abbotsford and think it should be among the international best, but a quick comparison to London, Ontario suggests it needs to improve to remain even the best in Canada.

Finally, anyone with info on Monday morning departures?
You can't really compare Abby to London because London is primarily a military show. Londons military display is very comparable to Abby but they only have one civilian act that I know of. London is only three hours long while Abby six hours long. Abby's static lineup would have also compared very closely to London but due to cancellations out of Abby's control it thinned out a bit. One Dutch F-35 had mechanical issues, B-1 due to rising tensions in North Korea, E-6 (don't know why it cancelled),RCAF CC-130because of wild fires and CC-177. Those are big losses for any Airshow static lineup
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:18 am

Sure the line up was a little weak, but I would definitely not say it was a disappointment.

I had a great time Friday and the weather was just perfect for airshow viewing every other day as well. I'm glad I didn't cook up this year.

Regardless of the line up of performers, the show is an event to enjoy with your family and friends and I think sometimes some of us forget that aspect. Apart from enjoying the air show, I had a great time meeting other aviation enthusiasts and trying the great food and beer, what else can you really ask for?

Next year is something to look forward to for sure. I don't really care about the rest of the perfomers line up because Blue Angels already have me sold.

I hope the rest of you had an amazing time and I look forward to seeing your pictures from the weekend!

Cheers,
Hawk
0 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:40 am

I would like to input my opinion here, if I may.

First off, congrats to Abbotsford for another successful show.

Now, I have read through the majority of this thread, and I have noticed quite a bit of comparisons, and even "London is better then Abby" and vice versa. To be honest, why are we trying to see which show will one-up the other? Abby has a long and rich history, and while there may be some years that are "lighter" then others, they are still a great show. I do understand the part of about getting social media to do better at communicating updates, acts etc. But the nitpicking (in my opinion), that is going on here is what I don't seem to get. We should be proud of what both Abby and London put forth, and be thankful that these shows are still around and making a comeback to the Canadian airshow scene. The last thing we need is to lose one or both of these shows, and then have nothing to enjoy.

In the end, I don't want any of you to take my comments too personally, it's just what I see as an outsider. I hope to one day, venture out west to check out this show, and by the looks of it 2018 is starting off well with the Blue Angels in town.

Hope everyone enjoyed the shows, and keep the pictures coming!
0 x
Dan Gagnon

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:28 am

Dan Gagnon wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:40 am I would like to input my opinion here, if I may.

First off, congrats to Abbotsford for another successful show.

Now, I have read through the majority of this thread, and I have noticed quite a bit of comparisons, and even "London is better then Abby" and vice versa. To be honest, why are we trying to see which show will one-up the other? Abby has a long and rich history, and while there may be some years that are "lighter" then others, they are still a great show. I do understand the part of about getting social media to do better at communicating updates, acts etc. But the nitpicking (in my opinion), that is going on here is what I don't seem to get. We should be proud of what both Abby and London put forth, and be thankful that these shows are still around and making a comeback to the Canadian airshow scene. The last thing we need is to lose one or both of these shows, and then have nothing to enjoy.

In the end, I don't want any of you to take my comments too personally, it's just what I see as an outsider. I hope to one day, venture out west to check out this show, and by the looks of it 2018 is starting off well with the Blue Angels in town.

Hope everyone enjoyed the shows, and keep the pictures coming!
Couldn't have said it better myself Dan!

I hope you can make it out next year! I've been a big fan of your photography! I can only imagine what you could do with the Abby background.

This year was definitely faced with its ups and downs and that's expected at airshows.

You have to understand that London faces the same issues of cancellations as Abby does, it's all subject to aircraft availability. There's still time until anyone gets an update on the final lineup and even then it's only going to be official when the planes touch down.

As Mark mentioned earlier, London is only half the length of time as Abbotsford. To me going to Abbotsford means spending the entire day (I guess even weekend) with family and friends as I mentioned above. You get a great selection of food and beer and even the variety of a night show. I know none of you mean any disrespect towards the Abby show and Anthony, you are right when you say that comparisons in shows shouldn't be made, but I can also understand how someone can feel if Abbotsford was their only show of the season. Not all of us have the opportunity to witness various shows. I know how grateful I would be if I had the chance to see the Collings Foundation F-4. It's not easy when you have a hectic schedule and other constraints when it comes to traveling to shows with your favourite performers.

I'm looking excited to seeing the rest of the additions to the Blue Angels next year and I hope that they are enough for some of you to understand that Abbotsford is still an amazing show.
0 x

Frenetic Enigma

Post by Frenetic Enigma » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:52 am

Hawk and Dan,
You have both made excellent points, and they were well-expressed.

I know I have come across quite harshly, and perhaps yes, it is because Abby is the only show I'm usually able to get to throughout the year. I have a fairly rigid schedule, and live on the west coast. I would love to get to Miramar, Nellis, and others but simply haven't been able.
I know there are many who appreciate the civilian acts - I have seen some amazing pilots over the years. For me, however, it is the military participation that draws my attention. The combination of engineering power and piloting grace simply tops all for me. As I mentioned, the evening performances by the CF-18 were very impressive and refreshing.
I was not able to enjoy the craft beer festival - driving to/from Vancouver makes that unwise. Perhaps alternate plans for next year; and, yes, I too am already enthused with the return of the Blue Angels. It's been quite awhile.

Hopefully, the AIAS will make improvements to their website and their use of social media, and they can build up to a great 2018 show.
0 x

Strat45

Post by Strat45 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:26 am

Bloody sorry I misspoke with F-35s on the brain, but I've been attending airshows for 35 years now and yes, this years Abby show was a letdown. Perhaps that's because of the high standard they have set in the past, but the reality was that by day 2 we were bored. I'm not particularly chuffed if you disagree, as all I'm doing is posting my opinion on a forum. Endless "high speed" passes and high angle of attack slow passes get old quick. If you're pleased to watch the same thing endlessly then I suppose I should be envious. I'm sure you'll be thrilled to watch even more F-18's next year, some painted blue!!
Last edited by Strat45 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Return to “2017 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”