2017 Abbotsford International Airshow

Discussion relating to 2017 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
RyanS

Post by RyanS » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:01 pm

Bingofuel wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:31 pm
Dan Gagnon wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:01 pm Saw this posted by Samuel Millar on the Facebook Group, "Canadian Airshow Buzz"
Looking very solid. I'm wondering what this "NORAD demo" will be.
My money's on F-16's from either Belgium or Netherlands (Duh)

Dutch F-16's have been in and out of Arizona lately training in good weather, and they've been known to attend Red Flags at Nellis (which takes place couple days after Abby)
Or...Belgium. They also attend Red Flags, and the CF-18 demo safety pilot this year is the ex-BAF F-16 demo pilot from couple years ago.

Unless its a USANG F-16 pair..I'd be blown away if they somehow got the F-16 Demo team to fly with ours. I'd say quite unlikely.

Who knows....hope it pans out!
It sounds like you're saying NORAD but thinking NATO. NORAD is limited to the US and Canada. I imagine it will be CF-18s "intercepting" something else and maybe refueling?
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Bingofuel

Post by Bingofuel » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:34 pm

It sounds like you're saying NORAD but thinking NATO. NORAD is limited to the US and Canada. I imagine it will be CF-18s "intercepting" something else and maybe refueling?
Well....That's just a darn good point!
0 x

theairshowdude

Post by theairshowdude » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:44 pm

Dan Gagnon wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:01 pm Saw this posted by Samuel Millar on the Facebook Group, "Canadian Airshow Buzz"
Looking very solid. I'm wondering what this "NORAD demo" will be.
The NORAD demo will have aggressor F-16's from either AK or WA. Also there is work that Abby will get Typhoons this year from the RAF as well as Tornados either from the RAF as well and they would come with the Typhoons or the Luftwaffe which would come from Holloman. The Brazilian demonstration team is also looking at coming to Abby. As for the static, the F-16 will be separate from the ones participating in the F-16 demo and the NORAD demo which means we will see 6 F-16's at abby this year. They will most likely be ANG birds so we can get the B-1 and B-52. There's also a high possibility of an RAF E-3 and RAAF KC-30A which will be attending RF-A 17:3.
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Mon May 01, 2017 2:51 am

theairshowdude wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:44 pm
Also there is work that Abby will get Typhoons this year from the RAF as well as Tornados either from the RAF as well and they would come with the Typhoons or the Luftwaffe which would come from Holloman. The Brazilian demonstration team is also looking at coming to Abby. As for the static, the F-16 will be separate from the ones participating in the F-16 demo and the NORAD demo which means we will see 6 F-16's at abby this year. They will most likely be ANG birds so we can get the B-1 and B-52. There's also a high possibility of an RAF E-3 and RAAF KC-30A which will be attending RF-A 17:3.
I would like to point out that at this point, this is purely speculation. Of course things are always in talks but I wouldn't put my money on any Typhoons or Tornados just yet. That's not to say it can't or won't happen. There is still plenty of time until August and we'll just have to wait for an official announcement. The 2017 show is definitely shaping up to be one for the history books! Looking forward to an update on statics soon hopefully.
Last edited by AirshowHawk on Mon May 01, 2017 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

theairshowdude

Post by theairshowdude » Mon May 01, 2017 11:11 pm

AirshowHawk wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 2:51 am
Also there is work that Abby will get Typhoons this year from the RAF as well as Tornados either from the RAF as well and they would come with the Typhoons or the Luftwaffe which would come from Holloman. The Brazilian demonstration team is also looking at coming to Abby. As for the static, the F-16 will be separate from the ones participating in the F-16 demo and the NORAD demo which means we will see 6 F-16's at abby this year. They will most likely be ANG birds so we can get the B-1 and B-52. There's also a high possibility of an RAF E-3 and RAAF KC-30A which will be attending RF-A 17:3.
I would like to point out that at this point, this is purely speculation. Of course things are always in talks but I wouldn't put my money on any Typhoons or Tornados just yet. That's not to say it can't or won't happen. There is still plenty of time until August and we'll just have to wait for an official announcement. The 2017 show is definitely shaping up to be one for the history books! Looking forward to an update on statics soon hopefully.
Actually this isn't purely speculation. The RAF confirmed it to me yesterday that they are coming to Abby with the Typhoon, Tornado and E-3. All the points I main were confirmed to me by sources in the military or at Abbotsford.
0 x

Viper93

Post by Viper93 » Mon May 01, 2017 11:32 pm

I trust you theairshowdude :D :D :D . Arrival and departure day will be very fun. It is true, the airshow is growing in size every year.
0 x

theairshowdude

Post by theairshowdude » Tue May 02, 2017 2:04 am

That's for sure. Looking forward to Abby. I've heard a few more foreign things in the works but nothing concrete so I won't share just yet. I should point out that when I was talking to the RAF guys yesterday they said if the Typhoons and/or Tornado is called out on duty then we won't see them. Just like last year. Typhoons got called away to the Baltics and they didn't come to Abby.
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Tue May 02, 2017 9:21 am

theairshowdude wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 11:11 pm
AirshowHawk wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 2:51 am
Actually this isn't purely speculation. The RAF confirmed it to me yesterday that they are coming to Abby with the Typhoon, Tornado and E-3. All the points I main were confirmed to me by sources in the military or at Abbotsford.
Ahh, that is great news! I did not mean that in any disrespectful way by the way. A lot of times rumours get brought up on these forums and people misinterpret what a possibility is as opposed to something that is actually attending/performing. It definitely is exciting to hear from those with sources that can provide more information and knowledge about what is in the works. I believe that is the reason that a lot of us are here. I just figured it would be a good idea to clarify so nobody ends up blaming you or the airshow organizers for something not showing up or being confirmed! As Viper93 said in an earlier post, I definitely trust your source and am looking forward to hearing more. Rumours are never bad to hear about either so long as everyone understands that they are merely speculation!

Cheers,
Hawk
0 x

theairshowdude

Post by theairshowdude » Tue May 02, 2017 2:32 pm

No offence taken. I can see where you're coming from and would've asked for sources as well if I saw my post. I only share if confirmed or tentative but nothing speculated. With the RAF tentatively coming I suspect a RAF tanker but that's not confirmed as they could just drag them until Kelowna and then head for YYC. Also the F-16 demo team will be coming from Shaw so the KC-135 will most likely be one we haven't seen before. By that I mean tail flash. Still months out but it's shaping up to be an epic airshow. Of course I should point out that even if something is confirmed they still might not show up because they are military and can be called into action at anytime. Like last year with the Typhoons and Spartan. Will post more when I find out.
0 x

Airshow Addict

Post by Airshow Addict » Wed May 03, 2017 4:34 pm

I just got a radio scanner for this years show. Does anyone have info on what radio channels the performers use? snowbirds, cf-18....etc.
0 x

Return to “2017 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”