2017 Abbotsford International Airshow

Discussion relating to 2017 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Viper93

Post by Viper93 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:12 am

The NORAD Demo was cancelled today. It was on the schedule, so hopefully tomorrow it will come through. I talked to the F-15 pilots, and they said we may not get a pass, but we'll see. RNLAF F-35 pilot says he is going to shoot straight up into the sky on departure day. Anybody else have any info for Monday morning?
0 x

Frenetic Enigma

Post by Frenetic Enigma » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:42 am

Viper93 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:12 am The NORAD Demo was cancelled today. It was on the schedule, so hopefully tomorrow it will come through. I talked to the F-15 pilots, and they said we may not get a pass, but we'll see. RNLAF F-35 pilot says he is going to shoot straight up into the sky on departure day. Anybody else have any info for Monday morning?
Any idea why NORAD was cancelled? Certainly couldn't have been weather conditions.

I'm always confused why the departing planes wouldn't give a pass; I thought that was almost a given salute of thanks. The RNLAF has been a little disappointing - no pass upon arrival either.

I was also going to ask for any Monday morning info to be posted if possible: I am now returning to Abby on Monday and was planning to arrive in time for a couple of hours in the morning for departures.
0 x

Wingnut

Post by Wingnut » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:02 am

Curious to know if Pete McLeod performed today. His instagram says he's in Abby for the air show but he's not on the list of performers. maybe he's just watching? Static?
0 x

Frenetic Enigma

Post by Frenetic Enigma » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:16 am

Wingnut wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:02 am Curious to know if Pete McLeod performed today. His instagram says he's in Abby for the air show but he's not on the list of performers. maybe he's just watching? Static?
I saw him fly on Thursday night in his familiar Red Bull plane - at least I'm assuming it was him. The website is a mess - I just noticed that the statics are gone altogether. Don't know how long it's been that way.
0 x

Strat45

Post by Strat45 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:06 pm

Overall a bit disappointed with this years event. Compared to past shows with simulated bombing runs, Wall of fire, and a much more varied performer schedule. Full credit to RCAF and Snowbirds but CF-18 and Snowbirds are losing their lustre for me. Even two years ago the F-35 put on a much better demonstration. Friday night show was good, but Saturday afternoon show offered nothing really different and I realized there was no compelling reason to see both. Fridays twilight show has the great advantage that you can watch without being blinded by the sun, pyro gliders were good and fireworks great. I understand things like smoke and fire ban are uncontrollable but Abby team has to do better in the future with Facebook, Twitter and website updates.
0 x

cf18hornet

Post by cf18hornet » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:20 pm

Strat45 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:06 pm Overall a bit disappointed with this years event. Compared to past shows with simulated bombing runs, Wall of fire, and a much more varied performer schedule. Full credit to RCAF and Snowbirds but CF-18 and Snowbirds are losing their lustre for me. Even two years ago the F-35 put on a much better demonstration. Friday night show was good, but Saturday afternoon show offered nothing really different and I realized there was no compelling reason to see both. Fridays twilight show has the great advantage that you can watch without being blinded by the sun, pyro gliders were good and fireworks great. I understand things like smoke and fire ban are uncontrollable but Abby team has to do better in the future with Facebook, Twitter and website updates.
The F-35 wasn't here two years ago
0 x

Frenetic Enigma

Post by Frenetic Enigma » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:31 pm

cf18hornet wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:20 pm
Strat45 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:06 pm Overall a bit disappointed with this years event. Compared to past shows with simulated bombing runs, Wall of fire, and a much more varied performer schedule. Full credit to RCAF and Snowbirds but CF-18 and Snowbirds are losing their lustre for me. Even two years ago the F-35 put on a much better demonstration. Friday night show was good, but Saturday afternoon show offered nothing really different and I realized there was no compelling reason to see both. Fridays twilight show has the great advantage that you can watch without being blinded by the sun, pyro gliders were good and fireworks great. I understand things like smoke and fire ban are uncontrollable but Abby team has to do better in the future with Facebook, Twitter and website updates.
He's thinking of the F-22; it performed a full flying demo. The F-35 is only cleared for the Heritage Flight this year; from what I've read, a full demo is planned for 2018 so hopefully we'll see the F-35 back in Abby next year.
The show definitely needs to up its game from this year; the Blues are a good start.
0 x

cf18hornet

Post by cf18hornet » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:36 am

Frenetic Enigma wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:31 pm
He's thinking of the F-22; it performed a full flying demo. The F-35 is only cleared for the Heritage Flight this year; from what I've read, a full demo is planned for 2018 so hopefully we'll see the F-35 back in Abby next year.
The show definitely needs to up its game from this year; the Blues are a good start.
I know he was thinking of the F-22. But you'd think if anyone is going to complain about the Airshow that they'd know their differences in aircraft. I don't know how anyone could be disappointed in this years show. How many shows have three fighter demos, an aerobatic team and a four plane heritage flight including an F-35.
Last edited by cf18hornet on Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Frenetic Enigma

Post by Frenetic Enigma » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:16 am

cf18hornet wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:36 am
Frenetic Enigma wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:31 pm

I know he was thinking of the F-22. But you'd think if anyone is going to complain about the Airshow that they'd know their differences in aircraft. I don't know how anyone could be disappointed in this years show. How many shows have three fighter demos, an aerobatic team and a four plane heritage flight including an F-35.
Totally agree on your first point.

But, to play devil's advocate: Airshow London has three fighter demos, an aerobatic team, at least a three plane heritage including an F-35, plus a 4-plane A-10 demo team, the Mig-17 and a static list that puts Abby to shame.
Maybe because I grew up in Abbotsford and think it should be among the international best, but a quick comparison to London, Ontario suggests it needs to improve to remain even the best in Canada.

Finally, anyone with info on Monday morning departures?
0 x

Copperbeltjack

Post by Copperbeltjack » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:13 am

You know, this is still a post-sequestration world we live in, so you all could be a little grateful. This is the first Abbotsford I've missed since 2006, due to funding issues, but I would've loved to have gone again. And what I'm seeing from people who did, it was still great.

I remember the fun of single-ship teams and long static lists that played out like a dream. Then budgets collapsed and things hurt for air shows for years. But Abbotsford kept it alive with the CAF stepping up and bringing more to replace the hole left by pulled-back US support. The warbird communities stepped in and the show went on as a highlight amid troubled times. When air shows were falling left and right, Abbotsford soldiered on. And yes, without as many jets it was noticeably lesser, but once you got to the grounds, the air was still energized and exciting, abuzz with interesting sights and participants.

Now, they're landing international support, the US is coming back more and more every year, and the jet noise is loud as ever. I mean it when I say shame on all of you for putting down an airshow that's been around longer than most of you and puts on a worthwhile show year after year no matter what trouble might attempt to limit them. The communities, aviation and local, have shown generous support and gracious invitation to those who attend. If you aren't impressed by that, then maybe it's time to re-evaluate why you bother to go anywhere.

Comparing air shows these days, like I've seen in here, is shallow and unnecessary. It's a pity party for how you weren't given this or they didn't give you that when an air show is about celebrating aviation and the incredible community that has been built around it. It is not about your wishlist or what the best show in Canada is. That argument alone has been particularly disgusting to hear come up. Drop the whining, it's ridiculous now.

Now, that being said, let's see some shots from those who did go because I know they exist and the show that did happen looked tremendous.
0 x

Return to “2017 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”