2017 Abbotsford International Airshow

Discussion relating to 2017 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Speedbird2706

Post by Speedbird2706 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:32 pm

theairshowdude wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 1:38 am
cf18hornet wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 7:21 pm
theairshowdude wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 6:30 am If the Buffalo's troubles continue then the SkyHawks will jump from a CC-130.
What troubles are you referring too??
The Buff has been down as of late due to tech problems. There's a CC-130H at YQQ doing the job of the buff atm.
Last year the SkyHawks dropped out of a CC-138 from Yellowknife. Hopefully the Buff is used this year as I desperately want to see them before retirement, though I think they're getting back to flying as I heard about one in Boise,ID last week.
0 x

theairshowdude

Post by theairshowdude » Mon May 22, 2017 6:42 am

Speedbird2706 wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 5:32 pm
theairshowdude wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 1:38 am
cf18hornet wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 7:21 pm

What troubles are you referring too??
The Buff has been down as of late due to tech problems. There's a CC-130H at YQQ doing the job of the buff atm.
Last year the SkyHawks dropped out of a CC-138 from Yellowknife. Hopefully the Buff is used this year as I desperately want to see them before retirement, though I think they're getting back to flying as I heard about one in Boise,ID last week.
The SkyHawks dropped out of a CC-130J-30 on Sunday last year. I know the Buffs are still flying but not much. I bet it'll be here for static so you could get the arrival.
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Mon May 22, 2017 11:14 pm

This year Abbotsford is bringing back Airshow Week! If some of you can remember back to the Expo years, the Abbotsford community held fun aviation related events around the city in celebration of the upcoming airshow weekend. It was not only fun and exciting, but it was a great way to garner attention and publicity for the airshow and aviation in general. This year, Airshow Week will kickoff on Monday August 7th with BC Day and commence on Thursday August 10 with a city-wide scavenger hunt. More information is available on the official airshow website along with a form for anyone who would like to sign up a team for the scavenger hunt. Other exciting things happening in conjunction with Airshow Week include an outdoor showing of Top Gun, prize giveaways and a hockey tournament which supports Solider On at the High Street Mall featuring The RCAF vs The USAF. Also according to the official website "Make sure you head to the Red, White, & You event on Thursday night. There could be a loud surprise." ;) I am very exciting to say the least, and give kudos to the Abbotsford International Airshow Society and community members who have made these community involved events possible once again!
Last edited by AirshowHawk on Mon May 22, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Viper93

Post by Viper93 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:07 am

Loud surprise, my guess is the B-1B Lancer. This Airshow week sounds really cool. I'm excited for that hockey tournament.
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Tue May 23, 2017 4:56 pm

Thursday's evening event (Red, White & You) will be taking place at Mill Lake Park, so whatever that noise is, it'll definitely be waking up a few ducks and geese around town!
0 x

Bingofuel

Post by Bingofuel » Tue May 23, 2017 10:44 pm

I'm betting dollars to doughnuts that its the CF-18 that'll do a flyby at Mill lake, not any USAF jet. Keep in mind too that the CF18 pass from behind the crowd is almost at Mill Lake anyhow LOL.

It is after all a Canadian 150 event.

The "Hockey game" appears to be on the Wednesday before the show, so I'd say there's a good bet something USAF will be arriving Tuesday.
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:31 am

With regards to the Hockey game, it could include members of the support crew that generally arrive before the official acts do so I wouldn't put too much weight on a Tuesday arrival in terms of performers just yet. Being that it is June, an official Static Display list seems a little overdue. I'm hoping we'll get some more consistent updates now that we are closing in on the summer. In other news, the location for the outdoor showing of Top Gun has been announced at Bateman Park in Abbotsford. I am definitely looking forward to watching the movie that made me fall in love with the Tomcat!
0 x

lukas97

Post by lukas97 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:13 am

If I recall correctly, the first static lineup was posted on the website in early June last year. So I don't think that it is too far overdue, but it will be if it isn't out in the next couple weeks.

I'm looking forward to Top Gun at Bateman Park, not only because it's a classic, but because my wife is almost as excited as I am to attend an airshow event! I really like the idea of Airshow Week and making it a community event. Not sure if all of the events will be a success or not, but I would think that the movie will be well attended.

I read that the Red, White, and You event at Mill Lake will be some sort of Laser show on Thursday night. While that sounds interesting, if the CF-18 is doing a practice performance Thursday evening like it has the last two years, I will be at the airport. I second the idea that the "something loud" will be connected with Captain Kutryk's practice. However, we'll have to wait and see for whether that is all or if something else is planned.
0 x
Erickson Aviation Media

Bingofuel

Post by Bingofuel » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:56 am

They're getting around to posting the static list soon.

Several aircraft will be a first for Abby (if they don't cancel of course).

Hint aircraft 1: Atomic #80

Hint aircraft 2: Thick Piece of Wood
Last edited by Bingofuel on Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Snowbird552

Post by Snowbird552 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:14 pm

Hmm...

#1: E-6B Mercury

#2: I got nothin...
0 x

Return to “2017 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”