Doolittle Raid 75th Anniversary at NMUSAF - Including B-1 Flyover

Discussion relating to 2017 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
RyanS

Doolittle Raid 75th Anniversary at NMUSAF - Including B-1 Flyover

Post by RyanS » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:55 pm

The B-25s are gathering in Ohio again for another Doolittle Raid commemoration, this one on the 75th anniversary of the mission. This year, two B-1 Lancers will perform a flyover of the memorial service at the National Museum of the US Air Force.

Is anyone going to see any of the preparations or ceremonies?

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Upcomi ... uadrons-t/
Two B-1 bombers from the 34th and 37th Bomb Squadrons at Ellsworth Air Force Base, South Dakota, will participate in a high-speed flyover at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force exactly 75 years after aircrews from these same squadrons helped launch the Doolittle Tokyo Raid.

Plans call for the B-1 flyover to take place on April 18 at approximately 3:15 p.m. at the conclusion of the Doolittle Tokyo Raiders’ memorial service in the museum’s Memorial Park (weather dependent). The flyover will offer visitors a unique opportunity to witness the speed and power of two variable-sweep wing supersonic bombers as they fly by at a speed of 0.9 Mach and then ascend into an unrestricted climb.

Although the 34th and 37th Bomb Squadrons have gone on to fly a variety of aircraft since the Doolittle Tokyo Raid (B-26, B-58, B-66, B-52 and B-1), and transitioned to other commands (they now fall under the command of the 28th Operations Group) – the Raid remains the very cornerstone of their heritage, said 28th Operations Group Commander Col. John Martin.

"We have the proud honor and distinct privilege of being Raider posterity – which includes Jimmy Doolittle's 'own' 34th and 37th Bomb Squadrons," said Martin. "Our heritage clearly defines us, motivates us and propels us forward against today's threats. The B-1 “Bone” continues to provide critical around-the-clock long range strike to combatant commanders throughout the world.”

Prior to the memorial service and B-1 flyover, 17 privately-owned B-25 Mitchell bombers from around the country are scheduled to land on the runway behind the museum on April 17, and be placed on static display from 10 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. The aircraft will remain available for public view on April 18 from 9 a.m. until 12 p.m., before departing for a flyover prior to the start of a memorial service in the museum’s Memorial Park at approximately 2:15 p.m.

These events are free and open to the public. (Note: All outdoor events are weather dependent, and those near the museum and surrounding communities may experience the sights and sounds of increased aerial activity. The memorial service will still take place indoors in the event of inclement weather.)
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:56 pm

I got these photos of the mass flyover in 2010, after arriving about 30 seconds before their pass and scrambling for shots. The sound was incredible!
Attachments
IMG_9413web.jpg
IMG_9413web.jpg (333.36 KiB) Viewed 19016 times
IMG_9415web.jpg
IMG_9415web.jpg (324.57 KiB) Viewed 19016 times
IMG_9410web.jpg
IMG_9410web.jpg (321.85 KiB) Viewed 19016 times
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:00 pm

I also got to the B-25 gathering in 2012, when all of the B-25s came to Urbana before heading to Dayton. They sold rides and practiced formation for a couple days. Definitely worth a day if you are considering it!
Attachments
IMG_3363web.jpg
IMG_3363web.jpg (545.79 KiB) Viewed 19016 times
IMG_3417web.jpg
IMG_3417web.jpg (383.35 KiB) Viewed 19016 times
IMG_5481web.jpg
IMG_5481web.jpg (404.36 KiB) Viewed 19016 times
IMG_5573web.jpg
IMG_5573web.jpg (582.2 KiB) Viewed 19016 times
IMG_3067web.jpg
IMG_3067web.jpg (478.79 KiB) Viewed 19016 times
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

EricP

Post by EricP » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:40 pm

RyanS wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:55 pm The B-25s are gathering in Ohio again for another Doolittle Raid commemoration, this one on the 75th anniversary of the mission. This year, two B-1 Lancers will perform a flyover of the memorial service at the National Museum of the US Air Force.

Is anyone going to see any of the preparations or ceremonies?

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Upcomi ... uadrons-t/
Two B-1 bombers from the 34th and 37th Bomb Squadrons at Ellsworth Air Force Base, South Dakota, will participate in a high-speed flyover at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force exactly 75 years after aircrews from these same squadrons helped launch the Doolittle Tokyo Raid.

Plans call for the B-1 flyover to take place on April 18 at approximately 3:15 p.m. at the conclusion of the Doolittle Tokyo Raiders’ memorial service in the museum’s Memorial Park (weather dependent). The flyover will offer visitors a unique opportunity to witness the speed and power of two variable-sweep wing supersonic bombers as they fly by at a speed of 0.9 Mach and then ascend into an unrestricted climb.

Although the 34th and 37th Bomb Squadrons have gone on to fly a variety of aircraft since the Doolittle Tokyo Raid (B-26, B-58, B-66, B-52 and B-1), and transitioned to other commands (they now fall under the command of the 28th Operations Group) – the Raid remains the very cornerstone of their heritage, said 28th Operations Group Commander Col. John Martin.

"We have the proud honor and distinct privilege of being Raider posterity – which includes Jimmy Doolittle's 'own' 34th and 37th Bomb Squadrons," said Martin. "Our heritage clearly defines us, motivates us and propels us forward against today's threats. The B-1 “Bone” continues to provide critical around-the-clock long range strike to combatant commanders throughout the world.”

Prior to the memorial service and B-1 flyover, 17 privately-owned B-25 Mitchell bombers from around the country are scheduled to land on the runway behind the museum on April 17, and be placed on static display from 10 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. The aircraft will remain available for public view on April 18 from 9 a.m. until 12 p.m., before departing for a flyover prior to the start of a memorial service in the museum’s Memorial Park at approximately 2:15 p.m.

These events are free and open to the public. (Note: All outdoor events are weather dependent, and those near the museum and surrounding communities may experience the sights and sounds of increased aerial activity. The memorial service will still take place indoors in the event of inclement weather.)
I am actually going to Grimes Field in Urbana tomorrow to see if I can catch some of the arrivals. I have never been to Grimes Field so not sure of the best vantage point. Hoping for some static shots also. I am going to the back runway at the museum on Monday to see them on display. Trying to get over for the ceremony Tuesday, but don't think I will be able to get off work.
0 x
Eric P.

EricP

Post by EricP » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:46 pm

Looks like several arrived today including Panchito, Barbie III, Devil Dog, and Show Me.
0 x
Eric P.

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:06 am

I wanted to go to Urbana this weekend, but it didn't work out. I will be at NMUSAF to look at the B-25s Tuesday morning and am planning on staying for the B-25 and B-1 fly-overs. I'm not sure what the best vantage point for the fly-over will be, but I am planning on watching it from somewhere on the NMUSAF grounds. Anyone who has been before have any recommendations?

For those going to Grimes, you will have great access to the aircraft. It's a small airport and there will be no shortage of photo opportunities, whether you want static photos or flight ops. I heard there are supposed to be several fighter aircraft in attendance at Grimes as well. Might see a couple P-51s or other "little friends."
Last edited by kalamazookid on Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Matt

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:12 am

I am actually going to Grimes Field in Urbana tomorrow to see if I can catch some of the arrivals. I have never been to Grimes Field so not sure of the best vantage point. Hoping for some static shots also. I am going to the back runway at the museum on Monday to see them on display. Trying to get over for the ceremony Tuesday, but don't think I will be able to get off work.
Awesome! Last time they allowed you out onto the ramp and field to take photos. It was organized with fences and everything so you shouldn't have a problem with that.

The museum was PACKED for the ceremony and flyover. I was planning on going in to see it, but I would have been waiting in line well after it was over so I had to scramble for another vantage point. I ended up in median of a busy road, maybe OH-2 or something like that? Definitely plan to get there early or have an alternate spot in mind.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:17 am

kalamazookid wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:06 am I wanted to go to Urbana this weekend, but it didn't work out. I will be at NMUSAF to look at the B-25s Tuesday morning and am planning on staying for the B-25 and B-1 fly-overs. I'm not sure what the best vantage point for the fly-over will be, but I am planning on watching it from somewhere on the NMUSAF grounds. Anyone who has been before have any recommendations?

For those going to Grimes, you will have great access to the aircraft. It's a small airport and there will be no shortage of photo opportunities, whether you want static photos or flight ops. I heard there are supposed to be several fighter aircraft in attendance at Grimes as well. Might see a couple P-51s or other "little friends."
Last time the B-25s went W to E or SW to NE, so somewhere west of the buildings would be best, and I'd imagine you'll be there any way. I'm not sure what area they open up to see the B-25s but pretty much anywhere in the parking lot should have them going overhead. Or if you're looking for a special photo op, find one of the outdoor exhibits to put in the foreground.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:12 pm

That's a big help. Thanks! I'm not into taking photos when they're in the air, just want to be in a good spot to enjoy the moment. It looks like the museum is parking people in a different area for the B-25 static display, so getting parking at the museum afterwards might be a bit of a pain depending on crowds. Weather forecast looks great for the flyover Tuesday!
0 x
Matt

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:12 am

How'd it go, Matt?

If anyone out there has some photos of the flyovers, I'd love some to add to an AS blog post tonight or tomorrow.

Ryan
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Return to “2017 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”