EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2017 - Oshkosh, WI

Discussion relating to 2017 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
RFDGuy

Post by RFDGuy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:11 pm

Is it Oshkosh time yet!!!!????
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:25 am

So after a review of the webinar, Tuesday's national anthem was basically "a lot of moving parts and if it works it's be cool". Wednesday's national anthem was "we're counting on a tanker for some folks a long ways away".

I'm going to guess that Wednesday is the Thunderbirds, because they are performing in Wyoming at 9:30 that morning. I imagine they could load up and depart that same day, buzz Oshkosh, and head to either Nellis or straight to their next show in I believe Washington. It's out of the way for sure, but these are fast planes and Oshkosh is a big crowd.

Not sure about Tuesday, the way it is phrased it doesn't even have to be something flying (but it probably is) or anything not already at Oshkosh. They may be putting pieces together from stuff already there. We'll see!

Any guesses?
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Chadderbox811

Post by Chadderbox811 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:03 pm

The Blue Angels are supposed to arrive Wednesday so I'm thinking the flyby could be a Thunderbird and Blue Angel Formation flyby
0 x

Chadderbox811

Post by Chadderbox811 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:08 pm

And does anyone have a list of all the B-25s confirmed?
0 x

jcochr50

Post by jcochr50 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:04 am

RyanS wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:25 am So after a review of the webinar, Tuesday's national anthem was basically "a lot of moving parts and if it works it's be cool". Wednesday's national anthem was "we're counting on a tanker for some folks a long ways away".

I'm going to guess that Wednesday is the Thunderbirds, because they are performing in Wyoming at 9:30 that morning. I imagine they could load up and depart that same day, buzz Oshkosh, and head to either Nellis or straight to their next show in I believe Washington. It's out of the way for sure, but these are fast planes and Oshkosh is a big crowd.

Not sure about Tuesday, the way it is phrased it doesn't even have to be something flying (but it probably is) or anything not already at Oshkosh. They may be putting pieces together from stuff already there. We'll see!

Any guesses?
That may be "cool" for some, but any combination of Thunderbirds and/or Blue Angels just doesn't do much for me. Have seen them in too many places and too many times over the decades to get excited. To each his own I guess.

But there are a lot of great warbirds and other great aircraft flying at this year's EAA AirVenture to make it very special. Can't wait.
0 x

agraves83

Post by agraves83 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:48 pm

jcochr50 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:04 am
RyanS wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:25 am So after a review of the webinar, Tuesday's national anthem was basically "a lot of moving parts and if it works it's be cool". Wednesday's national anthem was "we're counting on a tanker for some folks a long ways away".

Any guesses?
That may be "cool" for some, but any combination of Thunderbirds and/or Blue Angels just doesn't do much for me. Have seen them in too many places and too many times over the decades to get excited. To each his own I guess.

But there are a lot of great warbirds and other great aircraft flying at this year's EAA AirVenture to make it very special. Can't wait.
I agree about the Blues and the Birds. One of the best things about Osh to me is being able to sit right on the taxi way. I have not been a fan of the modified flightlines that have been in place the last few years. To me the cons outweigh the pros of having the jet teams present. I would much rather pull up under a good airplane wing, watch the show start to finish, and get some great close ups of the planes taxiing by right in front of me.
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:39 am

Totally agree on the show line, but I am not such a grump that I cannot enjoy the jet teams when they appear. Luckily the show line is only in effect for a short duration of the week. I just hope they can figure out a better way to manage the Saturday night bum rush to the burn line. Someone will get hurt one of these times, and it is not fun with expensive camera gear on the front row.

I have heard comments that the show is planning on going a few years between jet team appearances now that they have hosted all three. Also that we are more likely to see the Snowbirds than the US teams in the future because they are more flexible on timing and their box isn't quite so large.

In other news, the Warbird Heritage Foundation stand down will likely cut any chance of seeing the F-86 Sabre four-ship formation. Vlado would have almost certainly been one of the T-33 pilots, so that four-ship is also likely off the table.

Has anyone gone into the event on the pre-show Friday before? I'm considering it but not sure how much traffic comes in that day.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

jcochr50

Post by jcochr50 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:19 am

RyanS wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:39 am In other news, the Warbird Heritage Foundation stand down will likely cut any chance of seeing the F-86 Sabre four-ship formation. Vlado would have almost certainly been one of the T-33 pilots, so that four-ship is also likely off the table.

Has anyone gone into the event on the pre-show Friday before? I'm considering it but not sure how much traffic comes in that day.
Didn't realize that the 4-Ship F-86 formation was now likely off the table, but understandable if the Warbird Heritage Foundation is standing down due to Vlado's tragic death and the loss of Baby Duck (RIP and Blue Skies Vlado and Bethany!). I did think that any chance of a 4-ship T-33 formation was now out, since Vlado was likely to be the pilot of the Red and Silver "Texas ANG" T-33. The WHF warbirds will be missed.

Well hopefully there will be a nice Sabre 3-Ship with the F-86A that was missing last year involved.

Not sure about the "pre-show" Friday, I have only been there on the Sunday before the official Monday opening.
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:56 am

Here is some unexpected but exciting news! How about a Cobra four-ship flight? Three P-63s and a P-39!

http://www.warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-ne ... hkosh.html
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:31 am

Given that the Warbirds of America theme for Wednesday is "Fighters," I would guess that would probably be a good day to bet on for the Cobra formation flight. That's going to be awesome! I think there are six total airworthy members of the Cobra family currently and it will be awesome to have four of them together at Oshkosh. Wow!

Our group is beginning our road trip there tomorrow morning. Stopping to take advantage of some of the outdoor opportunities offered along the way, and we will be in Sheboygan for the T-28 and CJAA event on Sunday. Looking forward to another great Airventure!
0 x
Matt

Return to “2017 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”