2017 Abbotsford International Airshow

Discussion relating to 2017 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Strat45

Post by Strat45 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:18 pm

Thanks Chris!
0 x

lukas97

Post by lukas97 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:31 pm

Strat45 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:06 pm It's a bit disappointing as I've attempted to contact someone from the Airshow through various social media multiple times and received no response whatsoever. I think if they want to attract a wide demographic then they need to better utilize things like Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

That being said I'm hoping anyone here can clear up something for me regarding the F-35. The F-35 is listed under Performers on the official website, but if I click "F-35 FAQ" it seems to state that it will only be a static participant. It seems contradictory and I'm obviously hoping to see it fly.

Secondly, and sorry for repeating but I'm hoping against hope that the Spitfire is going to make an appearance. I know it was listed as a performer back in the Spring but has since been removed from the website.

Cheers and thanks
The F-35 FAQ page on the website is an article from the 2016 show. So that info regarding F-35 participation is out of date.
0 x
Erickson Aviation Media

Strat45

Post by Strat45 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:35 pm

Thanks Lukas, goes back to my point about their social media team!

Any news on Spitfire?
0 x

theairshowdude

Post by theairshowdude » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:04 pm

Frenetic Enigma wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:21 pm
cf18hornet wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:23 am
theairshowdude wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:56 am RNLAF F-35 confirmed today
Static only by the looks of it. The Dutch wanted to fly a demo but the USAF had to approve it and I guess they couldn't work things out. But still excited to see them coming because they still have to arrive and depart. :)
And, just to play devil's advocate: I've been looking at the lineup for Airshow London (Ontario), and they currently have exactly the same military performers, plus the 4xA-10 demo. Abbotsford needs to step it up: allegedly Canada's National Airshow, and also being Canada 150, I was hoping for something impressive/new/unexpected. Nothing from the RAF for example? Don't get me wrong - still happy to be out there on Thursday for arrivals/practice, but does anyone think we're lacking something special for this particular show?
I was thinking this the same thing this morning. We are supposed to be Canada's National Airshow and it is Canada 150 but London is hitting it out of the park. They're also 2 months for the show vs our 3 weeks which is sad. I was hoping for more things to be announced by now. If they can pull off what I've heard is in the works then this part of my post is redundant but as of now it's sad.

I'm with Lukas on the fact that their social media person sucks and they don't hype up the show. They should take note from the people setting up London as they do a fantastic job announcing all their acts. I was shocked at the fact that they announced the Red Bull guy via social media but not the RNLAF F-35 and that is just really odd. Not to discredit the Red Bull guy but the F-35 is much cooler then his act.

With all this said I'm happy that they got the RNLAF F-35, Navy E-6, B-1B and potentially the Screaming Eagle but it would've been nice for them to have announced it in a place where everyone can get excited. I love this airshow and they have acts that can attract a bunch of people but it's unfortunate they don't know how.
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:19 pm

I definitely understand where many of you guys are coming from in terms of lack of social media and promotion when it comes to this years airshow. I feel that our community was much more involved with the airshow when I was growing up in Abbotsford, long before the days of social media. It seems kind of strange that this is not the case, especially now during a time where social media is booming. I remember 10 years ago you could email the airshow office with the most absurd question such as "What aircraft are flying at what time" months out before the show and still expect a long and detailed response. Long gone are the luxury of being interconnected with the Airshow society, atleast so for those who do not have friends on the board.

I love the idea of building hype for an annoucement like how London is doing. It not only keeps us updated regularly, but also definitely garners a great deal of attention. How many of you would go and tell your friends/family about a surprise announcement for the Abbotsford Airshow coming? I bet some of us have forgotten that we are less than a month away from show date... sometimes all it takes is a little bit of talk and speculation to get the ball rolling.
0 x

Frenetic Enigma

Post by Frenetic Enigma » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:04 am

Well, with a slight pat on the back, I'm glad to see the discussion has ramped up regarding our airshow, now only a few weeks away. I'm intrigued by airshowdude's suggestion that there may be more in the works, but I'll remain skeptical until we hear something more concrete.

I completely agree with the comments regarding London's use of social media versus Abbotsford's complete and absolute silence. Even the first 16 statics were simply added to the webpage with no sort of announcement at all. And I'm hardly savvy with social media - my first Abby airshow was 1980 so saying I'm old school is probably an understatement!
0 x

theairshowdude

Post by theairshowdude » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:21 am

I won't say too much but the NORAD demo is still on the table as well as the B-2. I've also heard the RAF is on the table and that was confirmed to me by a contact with the RAF. RAAF might also show coming from RF-A as they will be finishing (Thurs) when Abby is starting. Luftwaffe from Holloman confirmed by 3 separate sources.
0 x

Frenetic Enigma

Post by Frenetic Enigma » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:51 am

theairshowdude wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:21 am I won't say too much but the NORAD demo is still on the table as well as the B-2. I've also heard the RAF is on the table and that was confirmed to me by a contact with the RAF. RAAF might also show coming from RF-A as they will be finishing (Thurs) when Abby is starting. Luftwaffe from Holloman confirmed by 3 separate sources.
Some definite food for thought here. NORAD demo has intrigue - we'll see if they can pull that off. Would definitely love to see the B-2 make an appearance, along with the Luftwaffe (Tornado I'd presume). RAF/RAAF both seem like longshots at this point, but it's nice to hear that maybe the Airshow hasn't stopped working on some more adds.
0 x

cf18hornet

Post by cf18hornet » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:06 am

theairshowdude wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:21 am I won't say too much but the NORAD demo is still on the table as well as the B-2. I've also heard the RAF is on the table and that was confirmed to me by a contact with the RAF. RAAF might also show coming from RF-A as they will be finishing (Thurs) when Abby is starting. Luftwaffe from Holloman confirmed by 3 separate sources.
I hope you are right about the RAF but a couple weeks ago I contacted a member of the Airshow with knowledge of what's in the works and asked about these long running rumours about the RAF and they knew nothing about this at all. So we all shouldn't get our hopes up regarding the RAF.
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:29 am

There is definitely a storm brewing up this year. We have the Lightning already, but I hear there's still something(s) missing... I'm no meteorologist though. ;)
0 x

Return to “2017 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”