2017 Abbotsford International Airshow

Discussion relating to 2017 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
LAXSPOTTER97

Post by LAXSPOTTER97 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:13 am

For those who dont already know. The static F-15s will be from Portland which means no Screaming Eagle, however they do plan on putting on a show for departure day.
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:17 pm

There has been a small update on the site in regards to statics.

Notable aircraft include a Chilean Air Force Bell412 helo, Royal Air Force C-130J and it appears the Dutch are bringing their beautifully painted F-16 Solo Demo jet. Not sure at this point if it will be flying, but it is worthy to note that the RNLAF F-35 is not listed. I'm hoping that the Dutch are sending both aircraft, unless the F-16 is taking the F-35s place. I'm sure someone will have more knowledge on this than I do currently. The list is once again not by all means finalized, as it only lists aircraft with verbal commitments so I'm sure you can expect the page to get a few more updates still before show date.

With the RAF C-130J confirmed, I'm hoping there will be a few other birds accompanying it!

Edit: The RNLAF F-16 will not be flying a demo as there are no shows confirmed by them for the 2017 season. Im not disappointed either way as it still is a great chance to see the "Orange Lion" up close!
Last edited by AirshowHawk on Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Chris Smallenberg

Post by Chris Smallenberg » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:40 pm

AirshowHawk wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:17 pm There has been a small update on the site in regards to statics.

Notable aircraft include a Chilean Air Force Bell412 helo, Royal Air Force C-130J and it appears the Dutch are bringing their beautifully painted F-16 Solo Demo jet. Not sure at this point if it will be flying, but it is worthy to note that the RNLAF F-35 is not listed. I'm hoping that the Dutch are sending both aircraft, unless the F-16 is taking the F-35s place. I'm sure someone will have more knowledge on this than I do currently. The list is once again not by all means finalized, as it only lists aircraft with verbal commitments so I'm sure you can expect the page to get a few more updates still before show date.

With the RAF C-130J confirmed, I'm hoping there will be a few other birds accompanying it!
I wouldn't get too excited. I think you are witnessing an fine example of the much complained about social media/web presence disaster that currently ails the Abbotsford Airshow. If you click on the F-16 image it is labeled as "Dutch F-35"...yup, I think that supposed to be the F-35. :oops:

As for the Herc, it is labeled "Hercules-C130J"...I'll bet that is just a Canadian one...perhaps US. Same goes for the Chilean Bell 412....based on the lack of confidence on anything else put on the site, I have low confidence a helicopter from Chile will be here.
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:52 pm

Chris Smallenberg wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:40 pm I wouldn't get too excited. I think you are witnessing an fine example of the much complained about social media/web presence disaster that currently ails the Abbotsford Airshow. If you click on the F-16 image it is labeled as "Dutch F-35"...yup, I think that supposed to be the F-35. :oops:

As for the Herc, it is labeled "Hercules-C130J"...I'll bet that is just a Canadian one...perhaps US. Same goes for the Chilean Bell 412....based on the lack of confidence on anything else put on the site, I have low confidence a helicopter from Chile will be here.
Hmm, very interesting. When I was checking out the page, it didn't even have labels on the aircraft. Maybe I was just too soon to post and the website is being updated as I type this. I guess we'll have to wait and find out.

I don't think the Airshow runs the website anymore. I believe they have a third party that takes care of that for them so it's understandable why there are so many ridiculous mistakes. I was beginning to wonder how/when the UFV 727-200 ended up with a green tail.. considering I see that bird parked almost daily and it doesn't look like it has changed a bit.

Weren't you the original webmaster Chris? I think we need to start a petition to bring you back!
Last edited by AirshowHawk on Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

theairshowdude

Post by theairshowdude » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:47 pm

The RNLAF F-16 has been removed but nothing else has. I'm really confused now.
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:22 pm

I am beginning to understand what is going on now. Likely what has happened is that the person in charge of the website content was given a list to update and probably was told to find pictures for as well. I would assume that person is very unfamiliar with aviation because what they have done is simply done a Google Image search for the item on the list (ie. Hercules C-130J) and picked a random image that appeals to them. I tested the theory with the Dutch F-35 as well and sure enough the image of the Orange Lion F-16 appeared.

I really hope that some of these issues are brought to light to the higher ups of the AIAS. I also feel like Abbotsford is still going the traditional route to advertise such as posters, TV and local news media attention. I honestly feel that Social Media is a much better platform for generating hype in this day and age and maybe next year they will try and follow in the footsteps of London in terms of social interactions online. Best of all, you're not paying a dime out of the airshow budget to do it. Other than that they are doing a great job with the rest and we can all rest assured that by the Monday after the show, we will all be very appreciative of their efforts, regardless of what does or doesn't show up.

By the way, I'm looking at the UFV 727 as I type this and it definitely doesn't have a green tail!
Last edited by AirshowHawk on Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Frenetic Enigma

Post by Frenetic Enigma » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:32 pm

Sure seems like more clumsy incompetency by someone involved with the Abby Airshow. Don't know (or care) if it's the actual Airshow staff or a 3rd party, all must be held responsible for the complete lack of communication that is required to build up enthusiasm/interest in the event. Especially for Canada 150 - it's not like this anniversary was a surprise event; planning should have begun years ago and as "Canada's National Airshow", Abbotsford should have had significant participation from the RAF and other Commonwealth countries. Again, see London as an excellent example of how to do things properly in the era of social media.
Still a couple of weeks to go, but I doubt we'll see any additions to the performers list, and not likely any international adds to the statics. If the RAF were coming, they would have confirmed by now, you would think.
0 x

Chris Smallenberg

Post by Chris Smallenberg » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:36 pm

AirshowHawk wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:52 pm Weren't you the original webmaster Chris? I think we need to start a petition to bring you back!
Yes indeed. For many years...I originally volunteered to do it back around 2000 when the web site was in rough shape. My goal was always for it to be current and accurate. Not sure what happened but things slowly got updated more and more from the office staff in recent years until I wasn't really doing anything with the web page at all.
0 x

riffraff

Post by riffraff » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:46 am

Saw on the local news that a Brazilian C295 is over at Comox for a few days showing the SAR crews what they can look forward to. Too bad it wasn't a couple of weeks later. Would have been a nice addition to the show.
0 x

Frenetic Enigma

Post by Frenetic Enigma » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:17 am

From the Facebook page: the Vampire has already arrived in Abbotsford. That's quite early - unless it's based here?

And they're really messing around with the Statics on the website: the RNLAF F-35 is again there; they seem to have removed the Super Hornet with another pic of a CF-18, and they've replaced the Screaming Eagle with a different pic.
Last edited by Frenetic Enigma on Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

Return to “2017 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”