Thunder Over Michigan 2023

Discussion relating to 2023 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:43 pm

akendzior wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:20 pm
Notable departure of the KC-10 from the list.

Also on the list on the website are two E-model Super Hornets out of Lemoore.
Unfortunate losing the KC-10, but not too bad considering that and the H model C-130 are all that were dropped since the last update. Hopefully some more solid additions as we get closer 8-)
0 x

KC_Aviation

Post by KC_Aviation » Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:39 pm

I am considering purchasing the photo pit for Friday arrivals. If any of you on here have done that in the past, is it worth it? The statics such as the Eagles from Kingsley and the F-35Bs arrivals are peaking my interest. Just wondering if it's worth it coming from KC. Thanks for any info!
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:59 pm

Djack wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:39 pm I am considering purchasing the photo pit for Friday arrivals. If any of you on here have done that in the past, is it worth it? The statics such as the Eagles from Kingsley and the F-35Bs arrivals are peaking my interest. Just wondering if it's worth it coming from KC. Thanks for any info!
You would basically be getting taxi shots. The runway is too far away to get any worthwhile photos
1 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

jhtolatc

Post by jhtolatc » Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:19 am

RyanS wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:59 pm
Djack wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:39 pm I am considering purchasing the photo pit for Friday arrivals. If any of you on here have done that in the past, is it worth it? The statics such as the Eagles from Kingsley and the F-35Bs arrivals are peaking my interest. Just wondering if it's worth it coming from KC. Thanks for any info!
You would basically be getting taxi shots. The runway is too far away to get any worthwhile photos
Hopefully there'll be some value to going Friday...I wound up buying the Friday pit after winning a ticket for the Saturday pit/night engine run, and needing a hotel for Friday night anyway given the 5:30a photo tour start Saturday. Hopefully at least there'll be some beating of the pattern by some of the arrivals Friday. If not, taxi shots are very much in line with the shooting style I'm aiming for this year anyway.
0 x

Yankee Doodle

Post by Yankee Doodle » Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:29 am

Not sure why Ryan said only Taxi shots. I've been to every Friday arrival at TOM and it's a mixed bag. Jet teams usually practice on Friday and most of the Military guys will do some passes. Some may remember the first time the F100 attended and he proceeded to beat the field up with quite a few choice passes. Thinking that those 35B's may make a special arrival. Ultimately it's hit and miss with Weather and Mechanicals playing a big part.
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:12 pm

Yankee Doodle wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:29 am Not sure why Ryan said only Taxi shots. I've been to every Friday arrival at TOM and it's a mixed bag. Jet teams usually practice on Friday and most of the Military guys will do some passes. Some may remember the first time the F100 attended and he proceeded to beat the field up with quite a few choice passes. Thinking that those 35B's may make a special arrival. Ultimately it's hit and miss with Weather and Mechanicals playing a big part.
DJack was talking specifically about static arrivals and my comment was oriented to that. You're right there's a practice show too, I just thought that went without saying in this forum :)

Even IF they give some passes on arrival (never guaranteed even IF they show up) I find the runway too far away to be a 'great' photo op. If you're already there sure you might get some shots but traveling all the way from KC specifically to hunt those static arrivals? Not worth it IMO

Here's an uncropped photo of an F-16 landing from the photo pit using a 400mm and crop body. It's alright but nothing I would specifically seek out as an opportunity. Add a bit of heat haze and you probably wouldn't even get this.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (128.61 KiB) Viewed 3139 times
1 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:48 am

The field southwest of RWY 5 off Tyler Rd has still been solid and security lets everyone stay there on Friday. In 2019 they used RWY 5 and the arrivals were amazing. 2021 and last year they mostly used RWY 23 which isn't good anymore since police patrol Ecorse parking. There wasn't much static the past 2 shows so it didn't really matter, but hopefully with the static lineup this year the wind will work with us and give us RWY 5 arrivals. Either way the practice show from the Tyler Rd field is still fun.
1 x

dzirzow

Post by dzirzow » Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:49 pm

This show is a shell of what it used to be. I am not only person no longer attending like they used to go. Hoping they go back to full day shows next year and bring back the re-enactments, etc.
6 x

Laskow2

Post by Laskow2 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:24 am

dzirzow wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:49 pm This show is a shell of what it used to be. I am not only person no longer attending like they used to go. Hoping they go back to full day shows next year and bring back the re-enactments, etc.
totally agree, between this show and now indys outrageous parking price two shows i wont be attending until something changes
1 x

dzirzow

Post by dzirzow » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:37 pm

Laskow2 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:24 am
dzirzow wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:49 pm This show is a shell of what it used to be. I am not only person no longer attending like they used to go. Hoping they go back to full day shows next year and bring back the re-enactments, etc.
totally agree, between this show and now indys outrageous parking price two shows i wont be attending until something changes
Wow, was going to try and attend Indy show too until $150 mandatory parking pass???????? Out of hand. GA ticket only $10.00.... like buying on E-bay and forgetting to click on price + shipping.
0 x

Return to “2023 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”