Abbotsford International Airshow 2023

Discussion relating to 2023 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
angel2281

Post by angel2281 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:18 am

Interesting and unusual that the Snowbirds are not the final act in the flying schedule on Saturday and Sunday (excluding some exceptions in years past when the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels have also been in attendence).

I wonder if that is an intentional effort to alleviate some of the concentrated and heavy traffic volumes exiting the airfield at the end of the show?
0 x

JA Boomer

Post by JA Boomer » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:42 am

angel2281 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:18 am Interesting and unusual that the Snowbirds are not the final act in the flying schedule on Saturday and Sunday (excluding some exceptions in years past when the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels have also been in attendence).

I wonder if that is an intentional effort to alleviate some of the concentrated and heavy traffic volumes exiting the airfield at the end of the show?
Yes, I believe that's exactly the reason. Staggering the "headliners" to stagger the mass exodus. The Airshow has officially discussed this strategy before, perhaps it was on Facebook.
0 x

AIAS

Post by AIAS » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:20 pm

JA Boomer wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:42 am
angel2281 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:18 am Interesting and unusual that the Snowbirds are not the final act in the flying schedule on Saturday and Sunday (excluding some exceptions in years past when the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels have also been in attendence).

Yes, I believe that's exactly the reason. Staggering the "headliners" to stagger the mass exodus. The Airshow has officially discussed this strategy before, perhaps it was on Facebook.
The Snowbirds scheduling is due to the increased number of commercial operations out of YXX during the show. The team requires the largest length of uninterrupted airspace and mid-afternoon is the only gap long enough.
Last edited by AIAS on Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

JA Boomer

Post by JA Boomer » Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:01 pm

AIAS wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:20 pm
JA Boomer wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:42 am

The Snowbirds scheduling is due to the increased number of commercial operations out of YXX during the show. The team requires the largest length of uninterrupted airspace and mid-afternoon is the only gap long enough.
That makes sense! Are you expecting any further performer announcements in the next two weeks?
1 x

Bingofuel

Post by Bingofuel » Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:04 am

Additions Ericsson collection P-51 & Corsair.

Minus Historic flight foundation B-25.

Also seems like the NORAD demo will include a twin piston as the "stray" aircraft. A similar demo was done at Oshkosh last week.
1 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:35 am

Weather is expected to be great this year - hoping I don’t jinx it but I’d stock up on the sunscreen and aloe!

I look forward to seeing how the new parking format works out this year. The walk-in tickets may be hit or miss and the lack of them for Friday will be interesting to see.

Hoping for 1 or 2 more static announcements before the event. ;)
0 x

JA Boomer

Post by JA Boomer » Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:43 pm

AirshowHawk wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:35 am I look forward to seeing how the new parking format works out this year. The walk-in tickets may be hit or miss and the lack of them for Friday will be interesting to see.
What's different this year?
AirshowHawk wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:35 am Hoping for 1 or 2 more static announcements before the event. ;)
Same!
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:45 pm

JA Boomer wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:43 pm What's different this year?
Friday does not have walk-in passes. This means if you want to attend the Friday show, you have to purchase either a car load pass or a vanload pass. This makes it inconvenient for those who attend solo or with a partner. These changes were made to alleviate the traffic problems that have been the subject of scrutiny in the past years.
Last edited by AirshowHawk on Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

JA Boomer

Post by JA Boomer » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:52 pm

AirshowHawk wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:45 pm Friday does not have walk-in passes. This means if you want to attend the Friday show, you have to purchase either a car load pass or a vanload pass. This makes it inconvenient for those who attend solo or with a partner. These changes were made to alleviate the traffic problems that have been the subject of scrutiny in the past years.
I see. Makes sense. I was thinking physical parking alignment, haha.
0 x

Bingofuel

Post by Bingofuel » Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:28 pm

Look for a few military static arrivals on Wednesday, including demo teams arriving as well.

Right now looks like Snowbirds on Tuesday coming from Edmonton.

Thursday is mostly practices with a few arrivals sprinkled in.

Friday, more practices/arrivals in the morning/midday before the show.

Weather looks great (so far)!
0 x

Return to “2023 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”