NAS Oceana Air Show 2023

Discussion relating to 2023 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:34 pm

benz240 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:43 pm Huge bummer that the F35 is cancelled. That was one of the main reasons I was going. Any idea why this happened?
Apparently someone who actually participated in a discussion rather than post show updates stated the organizers said it's for operational requirements. I get it. Training new pilots trumps traveling to and flying airshows by a longshot.
jpujol wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:21 pm If anybody has access to the show grounds before the show, take some photos and post. Would love to see the set-up.
What's so important about this? You have to remember that the no photos rule still exists and that someone who does violate that rule would get investigated by NCIS. Over the years I've been invited onto several military bases during airshow week - Oceana being one of them - and my sponsor had emphasized no photos of the flight line unless he was told otherwise, and that also meant on DOD day until airshow related flying began. Like I said earlier I've been to Oceana many times over the last 40+ years and I can say with certainty that the overall setup has remained the same, especially of airshows since the last time they had F-14s at the base. That setup seemed to have worked in the past and I don't see why they won't use it again this year. That B-52 was probably parked near where it and other large USAF or USN aircraft have been parked in the past.
jpujol wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:36 pm They keep saying "stationed at Langley AFB" when they mention the F-22 Team. I think they will stage from Langley and not bring the jets to Oceana.
If they do stage from Langley then the question gets asked if the base was unable to provide the necessary support for keeping the F-22s at Oceana this weekend. Same for any F-35s.

Also, for the record, you guys should not be talking or speculating about current or upcoming deployments, detachments, or aircraft and military personnel movements in a public forum. You just never know who is reading these forums, and the old saying "loose lips sink ships" applies here.
1 x

JmillsF18

Post by JmillsF18 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:24 pm

Then go to an AIR FORCE BASE
0 x

Roadman364

Post by Roadman364 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:21 pm

JmillsF18 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:24 pm Then go to an AIR FORCE BASE
Hey pal, I don’t know if you know this, but this is an air show forum designed so people can discuss air shows. I asked a question in said forum about static displays as there is little info readily available, I didn’t even specify about Air Force statics. You did. All I asked was if anyone knew about what statics might be on display, and people answered. AF statics are still statics, and the more there are the more likely I am to drive from several states away, as I said.
And as far as I know, the navy doesn’t have any F-22s, so if you only care about navy aircraft I hope you don’t plan on watching that demo, cause that’s Air Force and who cares about them right?
4 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:42 pm

Roadman364 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:21 pm
JmillsF18 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:24 pm Then go to an AIR FORCE BASE
Hey pal, I don’t know if you know this, but this is an air show forum designed so people can discuss air shows. I asked a question in said forum about static displays as there is little info readily available, I didn’t even specify about Air Force statics. You did. All I asked was if anyone knew about what statics might be on display, and people answered. AF statics are still statics, and the more there are the more likely I am to drive from several states away, as I said.
And as far as I know, the navy doesn’t have any F-22s, so if you only care about navy aircraft I hope you don’t plan on watching that demo, cause that’s Air Force and who cares about them right?
He won't respond because he's taking a time out right now, but you are 100% correct!
4 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

zone5

Post by zone5 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:59 pm

Saw the air power demo practice today. No VFC-12 Ambush or color birds. Looked to be all Pukin' Dogs, Sunliners and Red Rippers. Possibly a 106 Roman jet for the sneak pass. Also included a E-2D with AB tailcode (VAW-126?). Looked like they tweaked/limited the bombing/gun runs but it could have been due to the weather since there was rain and lower clouds in the area of Oceana. Cool formation of the E-2 and a Rhino. Didnt see any air-to-air refueling pass. There was a total of six Hornets and one E-2. Fleet fly-by was 5 Hornets and E-2 with the sneaker following behind the formation...
Last edited by zone5 on Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
BULLETS RULE!

Just Dave

Post by Just Dave » Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:01 am

Went out to the boardwalk around 36th street this afternoon just in time to watch the Blues arrive. They made a nice flyby up the coastline before turning onto a long final.
1 x

AndyMedic

Post by AndyMedic » Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:02 pm

passedgas46 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:34 pm
benz240 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:43 pm Huge bummer that the F35 is cancelled. That was one of the main reasons I was going. Any idea why this happened?
Apparently someone who actually participated in a discussion rather than post show updates stated the organizers said it's for operational requirements. I get it. Training new pilots trumps traveling to and flying airshows by a longshot.
jpujol wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:21 pm If anybody has access to the show grounds before the show, take some photos and post. Would love to see the set-up.
What's so important about this? You have to remember that the no photos rule still exists and that someone who does violate that rule would get investigated by NCIS. Over the years I've been invited onto several military bases during airshow week - Oceana being one of them - and my sponsor had emphasized no photos of the flight line unless he was told otherwise, and that also meant on DOD day until airshow related flying began. Like I said earlier I've been to Oceana many times over the last 40+ years and I can say with certainty that the overall setup has remained the same, especially of airshows since the last time they had F-14s at the base. That setup seemed to have worked in the past and I don't see why they won't use it again this year. That B-52 was probably parked near where it and other large USAF or USN aircraft have been parked in the past.
jpujol wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:36 pm They keep saying "stationed at Langley AFB" when they mention the F-22 Team. I think they will stage from Langley and not bring the jets to Oceana.
If they do stage from Langley then the question gets asked if the base was unable to provide the necessary support for keeping the F-22s at Oceana this weekend. Same for any F-35s.

Also, for the record, you guys should not be talking or speculating about current or upcoming deployments, detachments, or aircraft and military personnel movements in a public forum. You just never know who is reading these forums, and the old saying "loose lips sink ships" applies here.
whoa man chill out
1 x
Check out my current Airshow Photographs here: https://andybackowski.zenfolio.com/f382726257

Meekashark

Post by Meekashark » Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:07 pm

zone5 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:59 pm Saw the air power demo practice today. No VFC-12 Ambush or color birds. Looked to be all Pukin' Dogs, Sunliners and Red Rippers. Possibly a 106 Roman jet for the sneak pass. Also included a E-2D with AB tailcode (VAW-126?). Looked like they tweaked/limited the bombing/gun runs but it could have been due to the weather since there was rain and lower clouds in the area of Oceana. Cool formation of the E-2 and a Rhino. Didnt see any air-to-air refueling pass. There was a total of six Hornets and one E-2. Fleet fly-by was 5 Hornets and E-2 with the sneaker following behind the formation...
Thanks for the heads up about the lack of VFC 12. I'm sure it will be a great show none the less
1 x

zone5

Post by zone5 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:46 pm

Meekashark wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:07 pm
zone5 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:59 pm Saw the air power demo practice today. No VFC-12 Ambush or color birds. Looked to be all Pukin' Dogs, Sunliners and Red Rippers. Possibly a 106 Roman jet for the sneak pass. Also included a E-2D with AB tailcode (VAW-126?). Looked like they tweaked/limited the bombing/gun runs but it could have been due to the weather since there was rain and lower clouds in the area of Oceana. Cool formation of the E-2 and a Rhino. Didnt see any air-to-air refueling pass. There was a total of six Hornets and one E-2. Fleet fly-by was 5 Hornets and E-2 with the sneaker following behind the formation...
Thanks for the heads up about the lack of VFC 12. I'm sure it will be a great show none the less
No worries! Wish they were flying but maybe theyre on det. And for todays practice, looked like same jets, no color. But the shining point of that is that the CAG birds are probably on static atleast. No E-2D in todays demo though but the air-to-air looked awesome. And since i couldnt hear the narration, it almost looked like we have a 2 on 1 dogfight mid-way through the demo!
0 x
BULLETS RULE!

TherealJerseyviper_

Post by TherealJerseyviper_ » Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:40 pm

just saw a ch-53 land and a c17 land maybe possible statics
0 x

Return to “2023 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”