2024 CenterPoint Energy Dayton Air Show

Discussion relating to 2024 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:08 pm

Additions on website:

C-17 Demo
Wright "B" Flyer
P-51 "Swamp Fox"

Grimes Flying Lab Beech 18 and DC-3 Skytrain "Flagship Detroit" will be on static according to their respective foundations.
Last edited by kalamazookid on Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Matt

IDF783

Post by IDF783 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:59 pm

Anyone know at this stage if the Bayuo F-15s will be back?
0 x

n33d4sp33d_85

Post by n33d4sp33d_85 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:41 pm

To celebrate the 50th Anniversay of the Dayton Air Show, event goers will have the opportunity to purchase ticekts for only $20, $25, and $30 respectively.

500 $20 tickets will be availble for purchase, first come first serve.

Once the first 500 tickets are gone, an additional 500 $25 tickets will become available for purchase.

Finally, once those tickets are gone, an additonal 5000 $30 tickets will be made available for purchase.

In addition, Executive Director Kevin Franklin proudly explained to Dayton 24/7 Now's Alex King that the Air Show has managed to maintain the price of the family 4-pack of tickets at $99.
https://dayton247now.com/amp/news/local ... ls-for-all
0 x

Ohareplanespotter21

Post by Ohareplanespotter21 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:22 am

Does anyone happen to know if the photo tour tickets are worth purchasing?
0 x

reddevils127

Post by reddevils127 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:29 pm

Ohareplanespotter21 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:22 am Does anyone happen to know if the photo tour tickets are worth purchasing?
I did the photo tour last year and will be purchasing the tickets again this year. You get access 2 hours earlier than the general public, along with media parking passes. Highly recommend if you want static shots without anyone in your way since everyone that is there are just photographers or aircrew. Nice way to meet some of the crew also since they were setting everything up and took their time to talk instead of getting bombarded with questions from other people.
0 x

CultOfTheWyvern

Post by CultOfTheWyvern » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:36 pm

The only concern I'd have about spending on the Photo Tour is the barricades and caution tape surrounding some of the aircraft last year. If I knew those wouldn't be in place yet, I'd consider it. But this isn't really worth spending extra for:
ImageColumbus Legacy by Sean E. Kelly, on Flickr
0 x

jackoliver13

Post by jackoliver13 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:40 pm

IDF783 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:59 pm Anyone know at this stage if the Bayuo F-15s will be back?
The Bayou birds will be in Kadena for around 9 months so probably not
0 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:05 pm

What's the general admission experience like at this show? The impression I've gotten is that there aren't many opportunities to sit along the show line and get close to the action. Is that the case? This is one of few shows within a reasonable drive I haven't been to yet. I was thinking about checking it out this year, but if getting a decent spot is going to require a chalet or VIP ticket, then it's definitely not for me.
0 x
Matt

EricP

Post by EricP » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:31 pm

kalamazookid wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:05 pm What's the general admission experience like at this show? The impression I've gotten is that there aren't many opportunities to sit along the show line and get close to the action. Is that the case? This is one of few shows within a reasonable drive I haven't been to yet. I was thinking about checking it out this year, but if getting a decent spot is going to require a chalet or VIP ticket, then it's definitely not for me.
The general admission seating area has been decimated the last couple years. This past year, I went to sit in my normal spot which was right along the show line fencing only to find out that ridiculously small area that had continued to shrink over the years was now completely gone and filled in with reserved/tent seating. The only general admission area now is on show right where the fencing angles back away from the show line where they park the Blue Angels/TBirds and other performers. I was pissed about that last year upon arriving at the show. That said, once the show started and the acts began performing, the only thing I found lacking from a photography perspective is you cannot get any takeoff/landing shots. The Bayou militia did their missed approaches from show left to right and you couldn't really see them to start tracking until they pulled to the vertical. I didn't necessarily find anything severely lacking when the Bayou militia, F-22, Thunderbirds, etc. were doing the rest of their performances. In fact, it was almost a little easier to track some of the sneak and banana passes as you could spread out more. And you didn't need to walk all the way back to where the old general admission area was. Walking from parking to seating area is a bit of a haul so anything that can be saved in that respect is a plus.

I have to say for the 50th anniversary show, the lineup is less than stellar. They were rumored to be after two jet demo teams and with the Blue Angels already booked and the Thunderbirds scheduled for Columbus the week before Dayton, the only real chance at a second team would have been the Snowbirds. I heard from someone before it was officially announced that Frecce Tricolori was going on a North American tour that they were going to possibly come to Dayton, but that isn't happening now as they are scheduled for a show in Canada the same weekend. Think the Snowbirds are at that show too. No idea what they could add to make the show different from any other year now. Thunderbirds do still have an opening the weekend of the Dayton show, but highly doubt that would happen.
2 x
Eric P.

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:21 pm

Thanks for the reply. I kind of thought from looking at the grounds map that might be the case, but it's always better to hear from people who have been there. My interest this year was due to the anniversary - figured if there was ever a year to go, this might be the one to pick. Whether I go or not will probably depend on if they add anything special for the anniversary. Navy F-35s or Growlers, or another significant warbird would maybe get me there. As of now the lineup is ok, but I will see most of these acts closer to home this year.
1 x
Matt

Return to “2024 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”