National Cherry Festival Air Show

Discussion relating to 2019 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
JAckrmn

National Cherry Festival Air Show

Post by JAckrmn » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:34 pm

USAF Thunderbirds
USAF F-22 Raptor Demo
USMC AV-8B Harrier Demo
Coast guard SAR demo

If anyone can get any info on what’s going to be at the show, that’ll be cool 😎
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:22 pm

If you haven't been before, just know that this is a bit of an odd one. When I went I couldn't hear any music or narration and they planes were twice as far out as usual. It was a day at the beach with some flybys vs an airshow. I'm sure there are areas with speakers and seating, but I was just dropping in and didn't end up there. Research is probably required for the discerning airshow enthusiast!
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:25 pm

Also, the Thunderbirds' appearance is not officially approved yet and has been removed from their schedule page for the time being. It feels like it'll happen, but it could fall through.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

JAckrmn

Post by JAckrmn » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:43 am

I’ve gone to the show many times, and I agree. It’s not really the best show out there, but it’s just fun to go to see some planes fly around. I remember a few years back, were just driving around while the planes did their “practice” and there were lots of flyovers, so we now try to sit off to the side and get a better view. But anyway, I didn’t see that the Tbirds were not confirmed “yet”, but I think it’ll happen also.
0 x

Ack

Post by Ack » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:32 am

I agree this is a different type of show, but they usually line up a few good acts every year and it's all at no cost.

As mentioned Friday is practice day and you can pretty much see the entire show that afternoon as well.

I'll also throw out there that on Friday evening there is an open ramp at the TC Coast Guard station where you can see all of the aircraft flying in the weekend show on static display, meet the pilots, etc.

If you can put up with the crowds and hang around town Friday through Sunday, you will see flying each day.

Or even better yet, take your boat and get a little close to the action!

Edit....Also looks like Matt Younkin will be there in the Twin Beech
Last edited by Ack on Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Ack

Post by Ack » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:24 am

Looks like the Thunderbirds have finally added TC to their schedule......June 29-30.
0 x

JAckrmn

Post by JAckrmn » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:35 am

F-18 super hornet demo and legacy flight added! Surprised how many military demo teams there are so far
0 x

JAckrmn

Post by JAckrmn » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:26 pm

Updated aircraft list:

USAF Thunderbirds
USAF F-22 Raptor Demo team
USMC AV-8B Harrier Demo team
US NAVY F-18 Demo team + Legacy flight
TC Coast Guard SAR Demo
Matt Younkin’s Twin Beech

Looking good so far!
0 x

IDF783

Post by IDF783 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:52 pm

Pretty strong lineup! Never been - so I assume the show is over the beach and not at an airport?
0 x

Ack

Post by Ack » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:02 am

IDF783 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:52 pm Pretty strong lineup! Never been - so I assume the show is over the beach and not at an airport?
That is correct. All aircraft take off from Cherry Capital Airport, but the show takes place over the south end of West Grand Traverse Bay. Show center is at Open Space Park, but people pack the beaches along the entire south end of the bay. It's a good idea to get there early for a decent spot.

Here is their website for more info on all of the activities going on....

https://www.cherryfestival.org

It's a pretty busy place that weekend!
Last edited by Ack on Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Return to “2019 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”