Patrouille Suisse Flies Over Wrong Event

Post your airshow-related threads here! For specific airshows, please use the year-specific forum.
awal2049

Patrouille Suisse Flies Over Wrong Event

Post by awal2049 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:15 pm

The Patrouille Suisse performed a flyby at the wrong event this past weekend, missing their mark by about 6 km. Keep in mind their F-5's do not have GPS to assist it with navigation. The lead pilot visually picked out what he thought was the right festival and directed the formation towards it. The commander issued an apology for the error. Evidently, the flyover was not rehearsed.

https://theaviationist.com/2019/07/07/s ... ong-place/

https://www-usnews-com.cdn.ampproject.o ... rong-place
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:01 am

Now I can't remember how much of this is public knowledge, so I'll be suitable vague, but I was at a show last month where an RAF aircraft was due to do some flypasts. But again, without GPS, the crew picked out another point a few miles away that looked vaguely similar and flew round that instead. In both cases it was just a flypast, rather than a display, so no rehearsal. I remember there was an incident a few years back with a B-52 that did the exact same thing when the crew missed Farnborough having lined up on Blackbushe Airfield by mistake.

Given the sheer quantity of flyovers the big jet teams do during their normal transit flights - often over small venues and sometimes unannounced - I'm sure there have been many cases similar to this one too over the years.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

101voodoo

Post by 101voodoo » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:40 pm

Apparently a B 52 flew over Spokan International airport before he realized his mistake and then flew over Fairchild AFB.
0 x

Chris Smallenberg

Post by Chris Smallenberg » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:31 am

I can confirm that this did indeed happen. We could see it all unfold, in the distance, from the show. Was surprised they made there way around to do the flypast at Fairchild after the "missed approach".
101voodoo wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:40 pm Apparently a B 52 flew over Spokan International airport before he realized his mistake and then flew over Fairchild AFB.
0 x