Toledo Air Show 2019

Discussion relating to 2019 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
RyanS

Post by RyanS » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:47 am

kalamazookid wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:23 am Some highlights and tips for those who might want to go tomorrow:

If you've ever wanted to see a P-51, F-100 and F-16 in loose formation, you better go. There were two passes that would have been great photo opps, plus a head-on break and solo passes. It's not the tightest formation, but if you're in the right spot you should be able to get a shot. I didn't bother because I have neither the camera nor panning skills to keep up with that.

The F-16 airfield attack at the end of the show included flare drops. Again, if you've wanted to see this and haven't, here's your chance. The airfield attack itself is rather frustrating (five minutes of listening to garbled talking over the PA, followed by an attack pass, repeat that four times), but the flare drops are cool. The four-ship also shot a bunch of missed approaches afterwards, so you get good opportunities for low F-16 passes at the end. The four-ship that opened the show also each shot a missed approach after their two passes. Lots of good F-16 action from Team Toledo today.

This was by the far the most passes I've ever seen from the F-100 at any event. It flew as part of the Toledo lineage flight and stayed in the air for a sequence with the MiG-17. Probably 10-12 passes total, plus great views of the takeoff and landing with the drag chute.

Show center ended up being farther north than where it was officially marked. Not sure if that had to do with the wind being out of the SW, but most of the aircraft seemed to be centered on an area north of the announcer stand. I was in front of the KC-135 and that seemed to be pretty close.

If you're expecting an A-10 in the air based on the website schedule from earlier this week (the one I posted), you'll be disappointed. No A-10 flying today. FWIW, it's no longer listed on the website anyway.

Static display is very good - 2x F-35s (including a Norwegian), 2x F-15s (Westfield), A-10 (Fort Wayne), CF-18D, F-16, C-17 (Wright-Patterson), T-38 (special "Bulls" scheme), KC-135 (Rickenbacker) and C-130H (Mansfield), plus a few warbirds and other types.

Both B-25s flew, which was not listed on the schedule. Nice surprise.

The shuttle parking is really easy and well run. I parked at 8:45 and was at the gate by 8:55. Got on the second bus after the F-16s were done flying. Easy to leave the parking lot afterwards. If you don't want to deal with the shuttle, there might be VIP parking left for $20 and Loch Greenhouse is charging $10 to park in their lot, which is a short walk from the entrance.

I wasn't all that enthusiastic about this show all week and it turned to be well worth it. If I hadn't had the advance ticket, I likely wouldn't have gone and it ended being a solid show. Glad I made the trip today. Great job Toledo!

It actually looks like I got some decent pics too, so I'll try to post some tomorrow.
Thanks for the recap, I've seen shots of the heritage formation and MiG-17/F-100 and it looks cool. I wish they hadn't been so restrictive about Friday, I would have loved to get that on video. If I didn't already have a plane booked to fly tomorrow, I'd be very tempted to go anyway but I guess I'll miss out :/
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:48 pm

F-16s ...
ImageIMG_2935 by , on Flickr

ImageIMG_2997 by , on Flickr

ImageIMG_3018 by , on Flickr

ImageIMG_3133 by , on Flickr
0 x
Matt

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:50 pm

F-100. Always a treat.

ImageIMG_3020 by , on Flickr

ImageIMG_3047 by , on Flickr

ImageIMG_3057 by , on Flickr

ImageIMG_3063 by , on Flickr
1 x
Matt

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:52 pm

Kent Pietsch.

ImageIMG_3077 by , on Flickr

ImageIMG_3072 by , on Flickr

ImageIMG_3073 by , on Flickr

ImageIMG_3074 by , on Flickr
0 x
Matt

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:55 pm

Warbirds and Tora.

ImageIMG_3006 by , on Flickr

ImageIMG_3085 by , on Flickr

ImageIMG_3097 by , on Flickr

ImageIMG_3107 by , on Flickr

ImageIMG_3113 by , on Flickr

ImageIMG_3114 by , on Flickr
0 x
Matt

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:04 pm

And last, some military statics.

ImageIMG_2921 by [url=https://flic.kr/p/2gyMm3v]

IMG_2923 by , on Flickr[/url], on Flickr

ImageIMG_2927 by , on Flickr

ImageIMG_2949 by , on Flickr

ImageIMG_2910 by , on Flickr

ImageIMG_2958 by , on Flickr

ImageIMG_2959 by , on Flickr

Loved this scheme on the T-38. Almost identical to the old Sawyer AFB F-106s. I'm sure it's a throwback scheme (maybe for an anniversary), but I never saw any crew around to ask.

ImageIMG_2980 by , on Flickr
0 x
Matt

captmjk16

Post by captmjk16 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:48 pm

In no particular order, and with apologies for the rubbish FB quality, here's a handful of mine from Friday and Saturday:

2 x

Grunt087

Post by Grunt087 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:32 am

I was really impressed with the entire airshow. The F-100 and Mig-17 were the highlights for me. I did return on Monday morning to try and get some departure shots of the planes that were on static display and that did not fly on Sat or Sunday. The planes taking off stayed low and were only visible for a short time. I stood on the side of the road on the west side of the airport by the FBO. Someone from the FBO called the Airport Police on me. Luckily the Police officer knew the law and that it was perfectly legal for me to stand on public property and photograph airplanes taking off. He checked my ID and said I could take all the pictures I wanted. He just had to respond to the call and check me out. I also spoke to the Public Affairs NCO of the Toledo Air Guard unit and asked her if she knew it was perfectly legal to take pictures of the Guard planes as long as you did not trespass on Airbase property. She said they did know it was legal to photograph the planes and the base. There is a Homeland Security Memo on Photography and video taping of Federal Facilities that says it is legal to photograph.

https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files ... %20....pdf

It might not be a bad idea to print it out and take it with you when ever you go to a Military base to take pictures of the airplanes. Many military police just assume that must be against the law to photograph the base or planes.The military police may try to arrest you or have you arrested by local police. Go on You Tube and search for 1st Amendment Audits of Military bases. It will show you many examples of Police and base Security Police arresting people for just photographing a military base. As long as you stay on the sidewalk or within the public access easement area next to a road and you don't block the road or entrance to a base they should not bother you.
Last edited by Grunt087 on Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

kalamazookid

Post by kalamazookid » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:35 pm

Great pics! I especially like the shots of the F-16s with flares and the MiG-17 – I tried to get one, but he was moving too fast for me! Thanks for sharing.

Glad a couple of other members made it to the show too. It was a fun Saturday!
0 x
Matt

GRNDP51

Post by GRNDP51 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:44 pm

Great shots all, looked like one of the better / most diverse shows so far this year.

The Stingers seem to be a very fun group that like to please the crowd. Really looking forward to their arrival at Thunder in a few weeks 8-)
0 x

Return to “2019 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”