2017 Abbotsford International Airshow

Discussion relating to 2017 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
theairshowdude

Post by theairshowdude » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:25 pm

#2 could be a tutor.

I guess the NORAD demo might not be happening and the B-2 flyby is also not confirmed.
0 x

riffraff

Post by riffraff » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:59 pm

AirshowHawk wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:44 pm Perhaps the wood reference may be to the 2x4 looking wings? :lol:
OK, this is driving me nuts... Cyclone...final answer.
0 x

lukas97

Post by lukas97 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:13 pm

I just noticed that the Spitfire is no longer listed on the performers page.
0 x
Erickson Aviation Media

Bingofuel

Post by Bingofuel » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:09 pm

riffraff wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:59 pm
AirshowHawk wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:44 pm Perhaps the wood reference may be to the 2x4 looking wings? :lol:
Good guess but no cigar. I should clarify that this aircraft HAS been to Abbotsford before..but only once.

Sorry I cant be more specific and give better hints. Jinxing and all...Now if you'll excuse me, my buddy David and I have to un-clog my sink.

Also Steve Hinton will be flying the Sabre. 4 Ship Heritage Flight
Last edited by Bingofuel on Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Frenetic Enigma

Post by Frenetic Enigma » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:57 pm

"Sorry I cant be more specific and give better hints. Jinxing and all...Now if you'll excuse me, my buddy David and I have to un-clog my sink."

Okay, I had to finally create an account just to attempt a solve for this riddle. Here's my wild theory: your buddy David Coverdale will be unclogging your sink with his "white"snake....therefore, it will be Andy "Whitesnake" Anderson coming to Abbotsford, flying his BAC-167 Strikemaster.

Oh, right or wrong, a quick intro: I grew up in Abbotsford; first airshow was early 80s. Still come out from Vancouver for Thursdays and probably for the Saturday show this year.

Hope my guess was, at the very least, entertaining.
Cheers.
0 x

Speedbird2706

Post by Speedbird2706 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:41 pm

Bingofuel wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:09 pm
Good guess but no cigar. I should clarify that this aircraft HAS been to Abbotsford before..but only once.

Sorry I cant be more specific and give better hints. Jinxing and all...Now if you'll excuse me, my buddy David and I have to un-clog my sink.

Alright, I give it one shot and then I am done. A thick piece of wood can be very useful as a lever, the FULCRUM of a lever is the point on which it rests and pivots. So Final answer: MIG-29 Fulcrum.

Hope you guys enjoyed this wild ass response.
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:12 pm

Speedbird2706 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:41 pm
Bingofuel wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:09 pm

Alright, I give it one shot and then I am done. A thick piece of wood can be very useful as a lever, the FULCRUM of a lever is the point on which it rests and pivots. So Final answer: MIG-29 Fulcrum.

Hope you guys enjoyed this wild ass response.
Well since everyone is making some wild assumptions, I figured I might as well join in on the fun. We have been provided with the hint "A thick piece of wood" and it has also been clarified that the aircraft is not a war bird but instead a jet. This would eliminate the obvious guess of the Mosquito. We also know that this mysterious flying machine has made an appearance at Abbotsford in years past. Now armed with the basic information I think it's time we put the pieces together. Wood is often noted as being a very versatile material. It can be crafted into tools, weapons and even armoury. Now if we think of military jets, we definitely consider them weapons and as such, wooden weapons will be the topic of my investigation. Since we are thinking about an aircraft we have seen in the past, it is only appropriate that we also think of weaponry from the past. Now what kind of weapon from the past made of wood could fly through the air like an airplane? Darts! Therefore my guess is a somehow magically restored to flying condition F-106 Delta Dart that was destroyed some time in the 1980s after being converted into a target drone!

Oh how I wish I could have been around during those years the Delta Darts came to Abbotsford.

In all seriousness, I'm beginning to wonder if that clogged sink statement needs to be analyzed with my magnifying glass, but I suppose this is enough detective work for one day. ;)

In regards to some actual air show news, I've heard the HFF TBM Avenger and Spitefire will not be attending this year so that leads me to wonder if there will be any changes to Grumpy. John Sessions is still confirmed to be attending though so that is a good sign.
Last edited by AirshowHawk on Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

theairshowdude

Post by theairshowdude » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:44 pm

Now that I know it's been here once before I'm also going with the MiG-29 from FHC.
0 x

Chris Smallenberg

Post by Chris Smallenberg » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:19 pm

theairshowdude wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:44 pm Now that I know it's been here once before I'm also going with the MiG-29 from FHC.
MiG-29s have been to Abbotsford twice. USSR in 1989 and Ukraine in 1992. But the MiG-31 has only been once ;)
0 x

lukas97

Post by lukas97 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:14 pm

I'll take a shot in the dark. It's a bit out there, but here goes nothing.

A thick piece of wood...(or maybe a boat)...may have a certain figure head at the bow. This could be a dragon, or a lady. Know where I'm heading with this?

A clog in a sink would involve a U-pipe... And one of the members of the band U2 is named David. Bono's middle name is also David (thanks wikipedia).

As far as I can tell, a U-2 Dragon Lady has only been to Abbotsford once. And while I think it is highly unlikely that a U-2 would attend a civilian airshow, there was a NASA ER-2 down at McChord not too long ago. Count this under speculation, but I hope I'm onto something.

Either that, or theres going to be some random pile of fire wood sitting on the static ramp.
0 x
Erickson Aviation Media

Return to “2017 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”