Singapore Airshow 2018

Discussion relating to 2018 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:13 pm

For swapping tickets, I've got no clue. Try sharing to some local aviation groups? That's all I can suggest.

For watching from outside, there really is nowhere. Believe me, I've tried. Changi Beach (the place you spotted) is the closest you can get, but the displays will be distant and badly backlit. Plus it's in the middle of nowhere - at least one lengthy bus journey from the nearest train station, and then a long walk. I took this video from Changi Beach in 2016 - judge for yourself. https://www.facebook.com/thisisflight.n ... 929150505/

You can't get any closer as the road to the exhibition centre is closed, and you can't get there on foot either as there's a canal in the way, and the closed road is the only way across.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

jm1g

Post by jm1g » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:22 am

Ok thanks for all the advice. That video almost looks like a great view, I assume the angles and the zoom are making it look like a lot better viewing area than it was??

But anyway, I booked the tickets early because I was worried the show would be sold out by the time the schedules were finalized and released. In your experience, is this ever the case? THe air tattoo in the UK is the only other big show iv been to and that sells out fast.

Also, what other big shows are worth going to in and around Asia? Im currently in Thailand and looking at the Zuhai show in China in November.
Last edited by jm1g on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:26 pm

It's not a great view at all, I had a pretty big zoom. By all means give it a go, but it's not like being there.

Tickets sold out once at the Singapore Airshow in 2014 when we got a bumper lineup (Black Knights, Jupiters, Black Eagles, A350 world debut and August 1st). In actual fact, the public only really saw the Black Knights and Black Eagles, and August 1st didn't come at all. I don't think it's sold out any other year.

For other big airshows, you've got Aero India, LIMA, Zuhai and ADEX. I've never been to Zuhai but from what I've seen online the viewing options for the aerial displays are very limited. Same for Aero India. ADEX looks better, but the flying displays are short and predictable. I went to LIMA last year and that was superb. I was inside the show all days, but there are some amazing viewpoints around the outside of the airfield too. Check this out, which I put together during the week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDB_RtZU8Es

There are a handful of smaller events too. Singapore has a RSAF50 event in August, Thailand's air bases hold open days every January and Japan holds many open base events each year. Of that selection, I've done Singapore events in August before and they've always been enjoyable, but only one or two items flying.
Last edited by Adam on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:38 pm

In the mean time, have a look at this: https://www.mindef.gov.sg/web/portal/mi ... 02feb18_fs

The routine for the special RSAF display is in there, and it looks very imaginative and different to anything we've seen before.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:36 am

We'll have to wait and see whether the Black Eagles are flying again by the weekend, following today's accident. No statement from the team so far.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

jm1g

Post by jm1g » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:51 am

Just saw the crash. Thankfully the pilot escaped unharmed.
Id expect the performance to be cancelled though, which would be a shame. What do you speculate?
Last edited by jm1g on Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:58 am

0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:23 pm

The RSAF display looks superb. They revealed their special scheme jet today and I'm not a fan, but nonetheless it'll be nice to see the special scheme in the flying display for the rest of the week. The Su-30 also looks great, this is its first time with flares. Also surprised to see the USAF/PACAF F-16 with flares, that's another first.
https://twitter.com/TheRSAF/status/961071424596299776
Last edited by Adam on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:12 pm

Confirmation that the Black Eagles have withdrawn from the show has just come through. The flying display on the weekend is looking very thin indeed now, especially on Sunday. But at least the Su-30 is flying both days.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

jm1g

Post by jm1g » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:00 am

Hi Adam, so the SU-30 will be flying on the Sunday? Thats good news, however, I checked the flying display section of the official site and the black eagles have disappeared, AND the Gripen has gone, and no SU-30.
DO you know what happened to the Gripen display? I was really looking forward to this one too.
I'm so annoyed I cant change to Saturday now. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
0 x

Return to “2018 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”