Air Dot Show New York 2024

Discussion relating to 2024 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:21 pm

A few things... remember this is Mr. Lilley and he seems to have the same civilian acts at all of his airshows. My understanding is that he does his damndest to get sponsored acts at all his shows and maybe will pay for one or two civilian acts.

1. I don't think you're going to get a C-17 demonstration from Stewart/the 105th AW. They had an incident the last time they did the demo, and from what I had heard, this promoter wanted it covered up.

2. It would not surprise me if the "L-39 Cold War Era Jet Demo" shows up. They won't even name the guy flying it but I will: Larry Labriola. Search previous New York Air Show videos and you'll see his name mentioned. I don't know why that's a big secret.

3. Panchito is unavailable that weekend.

4. I believe all the USAF, USN, and USMC demos seem to have their schedules set.

5. Polaris Dawn seems to have their schedule set.

6. There was one year Lilley got a Michigan KC-135 to do a demo at Stewart. He even got a C-5M Super Galaxy to do a few flybys too.

I'd go if they moved the airshow back to Stewart. It was a fantastic layout and you could see all the military stuff take off and land!
2 x

RMSphoto3

Post by RMSphoto3 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:10 am

we will have warbirds depending on if were getting a navy or an air force demo we would get a Legacy/heritage flight, but if Polaris comes, then maybe the b25.
0 x

RMSphoto3

Post by RMSphoto3 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:15 am

I believe the C-17 demo will make a return and yes I am aware of the tail strike they had in 2018. it says that there will be 2 military demos. one I think will be the C-17, and the other, either an ACC or Navy demo. I'm not sure if you're aware but airdotshow usually doesnt want the demos to put it on the schedule until it gets closer. I have gone to new york airshow my entire life, and all I can say, is expect the unexpected, because airdotshow is unpredictable.
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:10 pm

RMSphoto3 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:10 am we will have warbirds depending on if were getting a navy or an air force demo we would get a Legacy/heritage flight, but if Polaris comes, then maybe the b25.
This is all third party information (and I know my source and I trust him) is going to go back to what I said in point numbers 3, 4, and 5. The B-25 Mitchell Panchito, which has been there many times before, is not available that weekend. If you go to their website they are doing a SIC workshop that weekend - if I had my private and all my hours and endorsements I'd absolutely love to get a B-25 checkout, but I don't carry a private pilot's license. There aren't other B-25s around: the Collings Foundation's B-25 is no longer flying. Same with the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum's B-25 Briefing Time. Tom Duffy won't bring Take Off Time or any of his warbirds to many events. The only other one is the Military Aviation Museum's Wild Cargo and I have no idea what it's status is since many of their birds haven't flown much, if at all.

As for a USAF or USN demo, their schedules are made up. I know Air Combat Command has added a few shows in the past for some of the demo teams and have also done so this year, but what I was told is that when you look at the weeks before and the weeks after certain dates (let's use this airshow's dates as an example) the A-10 & F-22 Demo Teams are booked elsewhere. The F-16 Demo Team has shows several weeks in a row leading up to this airshow's weekend. Same for the F-35A in the days and weeks after this airshow. These demo teams need time off built into their schedule. I'm sure the F-35A Demo Team like the fact the last two weekends in July and second weekend in August consist of down time because they're traveling a lot between those times.

I cannot see this airshow getting the F-35A Demo Team without having the team drop one or two airshows from their schedule, and if that happens to be Atlantic City, there's going to be a lot of pissed off people on these forums as well as across the region.

Anything military will probably be in the form of flybys only.

Polaris isn't coming. From what I heard, Draken still has a high operations tempo and the astronauts on the team have a ton of training and conditioning before they go up. And once that is complete it'll be the next round of astronaut training. It's also difficult to get all the Ghost Squadron pilots together multiple times since they're all over the country. I think air dot show got lucky with them agreeing to come to Fort Lauderdale.
RMSphoto3 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:15 am I believe the C-17 demo will make a return and yes I am aware of the tail strike they had in 2018. it says that there will be 2 military demos. one I think will be the C-17, and the other, either an ACC or Navy demo. I'm not sure if you're aware but airdotshow usually doesnt want the demos to put it on the schedule until it gets closer. I have gone to new york airshow my entire life, and all I can say, is expect the unexpected, because airdotshow is unpredictable.
I've done a few airshows at Stewart and was at the 2020 drive-in at Orange County. Haven't been back since. I am very well aware of air dot show and the people that are on that team. I have heard several negative things about the president, their director of public relations, and several other people who are employed under that banner. The way they treat their customers (the airshow spectators) could be done better, the way they treat photographers is atrocious, and everything in between is just unprofessional compared to other producers. I've heard that they've kicked out and banned several well-known photographers from both NY and Ocean City for no reason, the airport/beach is not for media access on Friday [!!!] at several show sites, overcharging for underwhelming amenities, and for having crappy attitudes in general does not reflect well on them. In my 40+ years of going to airshows, both military and civilian, I've got them in the proverbial dog house.

Now, back to demo speculation. Maybe they will get a C-17 demo or a flyby but I'll bet it won't be flown by a Stewart crew; I'd be willing to bet if it is indeed a C-17 demo it'd come from Altus or Hickam. Maybe they'll get an "unknown demo" that's not an A-10/F-16/F-22/F-35A/F-35B/F-35C/Growler/Rhino/Osprey and that demo is also coming to Atlantic City or maybe it's something overseas coming over? The MA ANG F-15s would also be something I'd consider but I have read they're no longer doing airshows. That's just speculation on my part. I'd honestly be thinking outside the box on this one.

One last thing and I hope you appreciate my 40+ years of experience going to airshows all over when I say this: You have to remember with a 12-4 airshow with two major jet teams that your airshow lineup is going to be much smaller. I'm sure the Frecce Tricolori's full show is about 30 minutes long, and with them coming over from another airport that might be a 25 minute display. The Thunderbirds' full show is something like 38 minutes long and I'd have to check what they did in AC last year on practice day to verify that number, and I'm sure they'd want a full hour block. So now your 12-4 show is a 12-3 show before the Thunderbirds take the stage (plus the Frecce Tricolori are performing in there somewhere). I think your heavy hitters are staging from Stewart so that needs to be accounted for. I wish them well with getting this show going.

I only wish it was back at the Stewart International Airport.
0 x

RecklessZay

Post by RecklessZay » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:27 pm

bummed the Frecce Tricolori won’t be in Chicago instead will be in New York 🤦🏾‍♂️
0 x

RMSphoto3

Post by RMSphoto3 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:03 pm

yeah i was thinking they maybe bring something from overseas, maybe an f35 or typhoon but i dont know, all i ask is to keep me updated on all of this. thanks!
0 x

RMSphoto3

Post by RMSphoto3 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:05 pm

passedgas46 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:10 pm
RMSphoto3 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:10 am we will have warbirds depending on if were getting a navy or an air force demo we would get a Legacy/heritage flight, but if Polaris comes, then maybe the b25.
This is all third party information (and I know my source and I trust him) is going to go back to what I said in point numbers 3, 4, and 5. The B-25 Mitchell Panchito, which has been there many times before, is not available that weekend. If you go to their website they are doing a SIC workshop that weekend - if I had my private and all my hours and endorsements I'd absolutely love to get a B-25 checkout, but I don't carry a private pilot's license. There aren't other B-25s around: the Collings Foundation's B-25 is no longer flying. Same with the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum's B-25 Briefing Time. Tom Duffy won't bring Take Off Time or any of his warbirds to many events. The only other one is the Military Aviation Museum's Wild Cargo and I have no idea what it's status is since many of their birds haven't flown much, if at all.

As for a USAF or USN demo, their schedules are made up. I know Air Combat Command has added a few shows in the past for some of the demo teams and have also done so this year, but what I was told is that when you look at the weeks before and the weeks after certain dates (let's use this airshow's dates as an example) the A-10 & F-22 Demo Teams are booked elsewhere. The F-16 Demo Team has shows several weeks in a row leading up to this airshow's weekend. Same for the F-35A in the days and weeks after this airshow. These demo teams need time off built into their schedule. I'm sure the F-35A Demo Team like the fact the last two weekends in July and second weekend in August consist of down time because they're traveling a lot between those times.

I cannot see this airshow getting the F-35A Demo Team without having the team drop one or two airshows from their schedule, and if that happens to be Atlantic City, there's going to be a lot of pissed off people on these forums as well as across the region.

Anything military will probably be in the form of flybys only.

Polaris isn't coming. From what I heard, Draken still has a high operations tempo and the astronauts on the team have a ton of training and conditioning before they go up. And once that is complete it'll be the next round of astronaut training. It's also difficult to get all the Ghost Squadron pilots together multiple times since they're all over the country. I think air dot show got lucky with them agreeing to come to Fort Lauderdale.
RMSphoto3 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:15 am I believe the C-17 demo will make a return and yes I am aware of the tail strike they had in 2018. it says that there will be 2 military demos. one I think will be the C-17, and the other, either an ACC or Navy demo. I'm not sure if you're aware but airdotshow usually doesnt want the demos to put it on the schedule until it gets closer. I have gone to new york airshow my entire life, and all I can say, is expect the unexpected, because airdotshow is unpredictable.
I've done a few airshows at Stewart and was at the 2020 drive-in at Orange County. Haven't been back since. I am very well aware of air dot show and the people that are on that team. I have heard several negative things about the president, their director of public relations, and several other people who are employed under that banner. The way they treat their customers (the airshow spectators) could be done better, the way they treat photographers is atrocious, and everything in between is just unprofessional compared to other producers. I've heard that they've kicked out and banned several well-known photographers from both NY and Ocean City for no reason, the airport/beach is not for media access on Friday [!!!] at several show sites, overcharging for underwhelming amenities, and for having crappy attitudes in general does not reflect well on them. In my 40+ years of going to airshows, both military and civilian, I've got them in the proverbial dog house.

Now, back to demo speculation. Maybe they will get a C-17 demo or a flyby but I'll bet it won't be flown by a Stewart crew; I'd be willing to bet if it is indeed a C-17 demo it'd come from Altus or Hickam. Maybe they'll get an "unknown demo" that's not an A-10/F-16/F-22/F-35A/F-35B/F-35C/Growler/Rhino/Osprey and that demo is also coming to Atlantic City or maybe it's something overseas coming over? The MA ANG F-15s would also be something I'd consider but I have read they're no longer doing airshows. That's just speculation on my part. I'd honestly be thinking outside the box on this one.

One last thing and I hope you appreciate my 40+ years of experience going to airshows all over when I say this: You have to remember with a 12-4 airshow with two major jet teams that your airshow lineup is going to be much smaller. I'm sure the Frecce Tricolori's full show is about 30 minutes long, and with them coming over from another airport that might be a 25 minute display. The Thunderbirds' full show is something like 38 minutes long and I'd have to check what they did in AC last year on practice day to verify that number, and I'm sure they'd want a full hour block. So now your 12-4 show is a 12-3 show before the Thunderbirds take the stage (plus the Frecce Tricolori are performing in there somewhere). I think your heavy hitters are staging from Stewart so that needs to be accounted for. I wish them well with getting this show going.

I only wish it was back at the Stewart International Airport.

i really hope the jet demo isn’t the l39 that will be a massive disappointment because it’s there every year and shouldn’t be kept a secret i hope we get something from overseas or elsewhere.
0 x

RMSphoto3

Post by RMSphoto3 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:22 am

do you guys have any more insight of what’s coming to this show?
0 x

passedgas46

Post by passedgas46 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:56 pm

RMSphoto3 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:03 pm yeah i was thinking they maybe bring something from overseas, maybe an f35 or typhoon but i dont know, all i ask is to keep me updated on all of this. thanks!
RMSphoto3 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:05 pm i really hope the jet demo isn’t the l39 that will be a massive disappointment because it’s there every year and shouldn’t be kept a secret i hope we get something from overseas or elsewhere.
This is how this "company" prefers to operate. And you already got something from overseas... you've got the Frecce Tricolori.
RMSphoto3 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:22 am do you guys have any more insight of what’s coming to this show?
No. I'm sure my third party contact doesn't either since he no longer communicates with them. I would hope someone with insider information that is confidential isn't posting it anywhere for the public to see. There's several other airshows within a couple hours' drive of this show taking place in the weeks before and leading up to this airshow.

As much as I'd like to go, it's two and a half hours away, but I also refuse to give air dot show any more of my money. And besides, a bunch of us are already going to be in Atlantic City when this airshow takes place, and we haven't seen the full lineup for that airshow yet.
0 x

Cameron Walz

Post by Cameron Walz » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:18 am

RMSphoto3 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:15 am here are my guesses for each demo:

the bomber type thing: c17 demo out of stewart

the spitfire: michael goulian

the jet demo:
could be any of these:
f18
growlers
f35
f16
polaris

jump team: west point.

what i think the performers will be,

t-birds, frecce, f18 demo, c17 demo, b25, michael goulian, west point parachute, uh72 lakota, l39, and some sort of jet flyby; most likely the mass ang f15s.
Just realized this doesn’t make sense. Michael is already confirmed for NYAS, so that means the spitfire is not Michael. Or am I wrong?
0 x

Return to “2024 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”