Air VG 2024

Discussion relating to 2024 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Adam

Air VG 2024

Post by Adam » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:39 am

It sounds like an airshow is being organised in Zagreb, Croatia on May 11 to mark the entry into service of the Rafale and UH-60M, and possibly also to say farewell to the MiG-21. The first Rafales are expected to arrive in Croatia in late April. The MiG-21s - the last of their kind in Europe - will probably leave service in the coming months.

https://tangosix.rs/2024/21/03/u-hrvats ... ig-ovi-21/
At the session of the Croatian Government, a decision was made to accept the sponsorship of the 3rd AIRVG air show, which would be organized in May at the International Airport "dr. Franjo Tuđman''.

Anušić added that the emphasis of the air show is on the modernization of the Croatian civil and military aviation, especially in the form of the arrival of the Rafale multipurpose fighter jet in Croatia. He added that the flight and exhibition program would feature aero clubs from Croatia and abroad, and that up to 50,000 visitors are expected at the event.

It is to be expected that at AirVG 2024 we will most likely be able to publicly see for the first time the multipurpose Rafal fighter planes of the Croatian Air Force, which some Croatian media say will arrive on April 25 (6 planes, 4 single-seaters and two two-seaters for which the handover has already been completed in France). In addition, it is possible that this event will be the last opportunity for the general public to see up close the MiG-21 fighter-interceptors, which may be decommissioned this year.
Last edited by Adam on Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

F-BSHM

Post by F-BSHM » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:26 am

Hello !

The Croatian Air Force is still to release any info about this airshow unfortunately...
I'm really considering going to Zagreb to see the Mig21 one last time.
However, I have seen on a Croatian spotting group that it it is possible that it will only be a static airshow, but this is something I don't believe, even if for now no NOTAM has been issued for Zagreb airport.
Let's see what happens but I will be very disappointed if the MIG are only static.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:56 am

However, I have seen on a Croatian spotting group that it it is possible that it will only be a static airshow
The official documentation from the Croatian parliament refers to a "flight exhibition programme" and "aerobatic flights by world-renowned pilots". Unless something huge has changed in the last fortnight, I don't think there's much doubt that there will be a flying display.

As for whether the MiGs will be part of it - we'll have to wait and see. But they performed some nice flybys at another Croatian airshow only a few weeks ago, so I am hopeful we see them.
Last edited by Adam on Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

F-BSHM

Post by F-BSHM » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:46 pm

Yes I have noticed those words as well :lol:
I think that they might release some more info when the first Rafale will arrive next week.
Let's hope for a flight and for a good airshow🤞
1 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:24 pm

There is a website, but it seems to be unfinished with some broken links for the time being: https://airvg.info/

Flying display (15:00-18:00)
Krila Oluje (x6 PC-9M)
MiG-21 bis D
Rafale EC
Rescue of a downed airman (Mi-171Sh, OH-58D, UH-60M)
Zlin 242L
Bell 208B Jet Ranger
Mi-171Sh
OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

Static display (12:00-18:00)
Rafale EC/DC
MiG-21 UMD
MiG-21R
MiG-21bis D
PC-9M
Zlin 242L
OH-58D Kiowa Warrior
UH-60M Blackhawk
Bell 208B Jet Ranger
Mi-171Sh
AS532 Cougar - Slovenian Air Force

Plus, during the show there will be regular airport traffic, with movements from the A319/320/321, ABY, AT72, B38M, B738, CRJX, DH8D, E190 and E545

The location is the General Aviation terminal (the southeast part of the airport)
Last edited by Adam on Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

F-BSHM

Post by F-BSHM » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:31 pm

Yes thank you :)
I have just seen it as well and was about to post it here 😉
It's gonna be cool :)
0 x

FlyRed

Post by FlyRed » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:11 pm

Adam,

Do you know where you saw the flying started at 1500? I didn't see it on the website/aircraft list and it would mean I might be able to make it.

Thanks
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:26 pm

FlyRed wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:11 pm Adam,

Do you know where you saw the flying started at 1500? I didn't see it on the website/aircraft list and it would mean I might be able to make it.

Thanks
@FlyRed - flying display timings come from a screenshot of an aircraft participation list being circulated on the 9Aero Croatian Aircraft Spotters group on Facebook. The Facebook version is identical to the version on the website, except with two extra lines of text denoting open hours. I can't definitively find where the screenshot came from, but I'm inclined to believe it for the time being.
1 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

F-BSHM

Post by F-BSHM » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:08 am

I have seen this "planning" on an Instagram account "croatian_air_force".
It's not an official account I believe but they have been well informed regarding the arrival of the Rafale at Zagreb so I trust them.
The document says that flying display is from 1500 to 1800 (which is a bit sad as it is exactly when the sun goes on the other side so it will be back lit).
The static only opens at 1200.
I can't imagine what the organisation is to have an airshow happening at an active airport ! We will most probably have big gaps between the demos to allow the commercial traffic to land or take-off. I hope that we will have easterly winds as well, so all aircraft will taxi in front of the crowd.

Anyway, this will be the very last chance to see a Mig21 flying in Europe 😎
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:43 am

F-BSHM wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:08 am I can't imagine what the organisation is to have an airshow happening at an active airport ! We will most probably have big gaps between the demos to allow the commercial traffic to land or take-off.
Indeed. On the official website there is a list of commercial movements that will happen during the airshow. There is quite a lot.

By the way, the static display times come from the official website, so there is no doubt. Only the flying display times are a bit uncertain.
F-BSHM wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:08 amAnyway, this will be the very last chance to see a Mig21 flying in Europe 😎
Only if something goes wrong with plans to re-home them after retirement.

The last chance to see a military operated MiG-21, maybe.
1 x
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

Return to “2024 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”