Airshow Photography

A place to talk photography gear, techniques, etc.
Larry I

Post by Larry I » Thu May 03, 2018 7:48 pm

I'm another Canon shooter & although this was put out by Canon it's not brand specific info & should help you understand a few of the more important yet basic principals of photography. It's an easy to understand tutorial that should help you in understanding what the different choices are for on the mode dial of a camera.

http://www.canonoutsideofauto.ca/

One other thing I'll recommend learning about relates to the Auto Focus system modern camera use. There will be a menu that can be changed to allow the AF system to track movement & try to predict where the camera needs to re focus as the target keeps moving as you try to get the shot. "AI Servo' is the desired setting when things are moving while "One Shot" should be the setting for static subjects.
0 x

RyanD

Post by RyanD » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:38 am

Besides a good camera, such kind of professional photography requires a special software for editing photos. For the reason that even a good photo needs to be enhanced. Most often I use the technique of splash colours. This effect provides impressive & vivid results turning a photo into grayscale or black and white, and keeping the color of certain objects.
0 x

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:29 pm

LovieCorreiro wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:26 am What is about drone photography to get the best and high-quality photos of air shows? But would it risk-free?
Absolutely not. It would be unsafe and totally illegal in most circumstances.

I don't know about the specific drone laws for the US, but certainly here in the UK, there are all sorts of restrictions on altitudes you can fly at, operating near crowds and operating near airports. Most airshows over here have a RAT in place which makes it illegal for any aerial vehicle to operate other than those actually taking part in the show, with massive fines and jail time for offenders. I'm sure there will be similar restrictions on your side of the Atlantic.

There have been a couple of instances I know of where drones have operated at airshows, but only in the hands of highly qualified pilots, with full permissions, flying in extremely restrictive dedicated areas (often the drone is just allowed to hover at a certain point, no movement permitted) and with the full knowledge and consent of the participating pilots, emergency crews, controllers, air boss etc.

Outside of airshows, the team I work with have used a drone for filming with aeroplanes to get some stunning air-to-air footage, but the entire sortie was planned in great detail over several days, briefed for hours, briefed again the following morning, practiced and finally executed exactly according to the plan, with multiple spotters in direct contact with the pilots and drone operator. It was a big operation with many hours of planning, comprehensive risk management and masses of input from everyone involved in the shoot.

Joe Public should never just whip a drone out and start doing anything with aeroplanes under any circumstances, but especially not at a public event or without the full knowledge and consent of everyone affected by their operations. I expect the majority of airshow organisers would never even consider letting any drone pilot fly at their event, regardless of how qualified they were. As ICAS themselves said in a campaign aimed at drone pilots a couple of years ago: "leave the flying to the professionals."
0 x
Freelance airshow media and videography (thisisflight.net)
Producer with PlanesTV
Airshow commentator

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:41 pm

Adam wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:29 pm
LovieCorreiro wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:26 am What is about drone photography to get the best and high-quality photos of air shows? But would it risk-free?
Absolutely not. It would be unsafe and totally illegal in most circumstances.

I don't know about the specific drone laws for the US, but certainly here in the UK, there are all sorts of restrictions on altitudes you can fly at, operating near crowds and operating near airports. Most airshows over here have a RAT in place which makes it illegal for any aerial vehicle to operate other than those actually taking part in the show, with massive fines and jail time for offenders. I'm sure there will be similar restrictions on your side of the Atlantic.

There have been a couple of instances I know of where drones have operated at airshows, but only in the hands of highly qualified pilots, with full permissions, flying in extremely restrictive dedicated areas (often the drone is just allowed to hover at a certain point, no movement permitted) and with the full knowledge and consent of the participating pilots, emergency crews, controllers, air boss etc.

Outside of airshows, the team I work with have used a drone for filming with aeroplanes to get some stunning air-to-air footage, but the entire sortie was planned in great detail over several days, briefed for hours, briefed again the following morning, practiced and finally executed exactly according to the plan, with multiple spotters in direct contact with the pilots and drone operator. It was a big operation with many hours of planning, comprehensive risk management and masses of input from everyone involved in the shoot.

Joe Public should never just whip a drone out and start doing anything with aeroplanes under any circumstances, but especially not at a public event or without the full knowledge and consent of everyone affected by their operations. I expect the majority of airshow organisers would never even consider letting any drone pilot fly at their event, regardless of how qualified they were. As ICAS themselves said in a campaign aimed at drone pilots a couple of years ago: "leave the flying to the professionals."
That was just a spammer, but leaving this here as a valid message to anyone else!
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com