Airshow London 2018

Discussion relating to 2018 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
CJEddy

Post by CJEddy » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:58 am

Bring em on! Can't wait to see what you guys have coming, you don't disappoint.

Craig
0 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:50 pm

Confirmed! CH-146 Griffon performing a SAR demo!

More announcements coming!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 0703997112
0 x
Dan Gagnon

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:26 pm

RCAF C-90 King Air confirmed for static display.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 0703997112
0 x
Dan Gagnon

Faust

Post by Faust » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:01 pm

Hook wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:37 am Good evening,

We have waited until our other local shows (Great Lakes and Niagara) have had their weekends.

ASL is going to start to ramp up the show. If you are a fan of military air power, this year’s show is not going to disappoint.

This week alone over the next 7 days, once a day we are announcing some additions to our statics and demos. It should be a pretty amazing year. Tons of additions to come! We hope we get a lot of photo guys to cover this year’s show as we continue to grow one of Canada’s biggest shows.

Hook
Okay, this sounds promising. I've been going to the airshow, regardless of its name, since I was four, and that was 1981! I was really, really impressed by the static and flying displays from the first two years of the new ASL. F-22s, F-35s, all kinds of other tactical thunder, it was great!

I will admit, however, I'm very skeptical with what I've seen listed so far.

Where are the F-18E/F, EA-18, F-15C/D/E, F-22, F-35 participants from last year? Right now, all we've got is a pair of non-flying A-10s (great to see Hogs always, better to see them flying) and almost nothing with an afterburner of any mention. I know you guys have it in you, and the vintage jets are nice, but we need more heavy hitters in the air and on the ground! King Airs and transports are okay, but with the price of tickets, I think you're going to have to have something a lot more exciting to draw a crowd.

It worries me that, despite my love of the airshow, I'm seriously considering not going, given the current lineup. I'm sure you guys can come through, though, so I'll be watching with tense anticipation!

Bring the thunder!!

(and the Collier F-4, if you can get it...)
Last edited by Faust on Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Brian

Post by Brian » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:43 pm

I agree with Faust, the last 2 years i was close to being one of the first to order my photo pit ticket, this year i have yet to order based on what is seen so far....while the Snowbirds are good it is getting a little tiring seeing them year after year and some of these last additions, i thought through the week we were suppose to get some exciting additions, the SAR and now the RCAF C-90 are nothing to get excited about nor the Ornge additions

Right now it's looking like Abbottsford is the happening show in Canada, least they have the Blue Angels added with the Snowbirds
0 x

Hook

Post by Hook » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:55 pm

Good day,

Patience my friends.

Did we not say we have 7 days of releases?
There might even be an 8th day and possibly one a week after that until show time if things work out.

Lots more coming this week! Maybe even some of the ones mentioned. Who knows? ;)
0 x

Faust

Post by Faust » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:04 pm

Hook good sir, I will be hanging on your every word/post.

I guarantee it.

This is going to be a horribly hard (despite 4-day) week at work, so I'm going to have to have something to keep me going, and this will be it. :)

Here's fingers crossed hoping for some heavy iron to fill our skies come the start of September!
0 x

yyz64

Post by yyz64 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:08 pm

Faust wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:01 pm
Where are the F-18E/F, EA-18, F-15C/D/E, F-22, F-35 participants from last year? Right now, all we've got is a pair of non-flying A-10s (great to see Hogs always, better to see them flying) and almost nothing with an afterburner of any mention. I know you guys have it in you, and the vintage jets are nice, but we need more heavy hitters in the air and on the ground! King Airs and transports are okay, but with the price of tickets, I think you're going to have to have something a lot more exciting to draw a crowd.

It worries me that, despite my love of the airshow, I'm seriously considering not going, given the current lineup. I'm sure you guys can come through, though, so I'll be watching with tense anticipation!

Bring the thunder!!

(and the Collier F-4, if you can get it...)
You aren't going to see a US Navy F-18 unless it's static the demo team season only had a 1/2 dozen shows that wrapped up this weekend in Battle Creek. I thought I heard the Collins F-4 could not fly outside the US?
Give the organizers a chance,they have come through the last couple of years and they already stated they are going to ramp up the announcements.It's not like they don't try and they can't exactly force performers to come.I'm sure the shows reputation and how the crews are treated when they are here are a big part of crews coming.Then there is the ops tempo and pilot shortage the US is currently going through.London has shown us they have the military connections to make this show great, in hook we trust.
0 x

Faust

Post by Faust » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:16 pm

You aren't going to see a US Navy F-18 unless it's static the demo team season only had a 1/2 dozen shows that wrapped up this weekend in Battle Creek. I thought I heard the Collins F-4 could not fly outside the US?
Give the organizers a chance,they have come through the last couple of years and they already stated they are going to ramp up the announcements.It's not like they don't try and they can't exactly force performers to come.I'm sure the shows reputation and how the crews are treated when they are here are a big part of crews coming.Then there is the ops tempo and pilot shortage the US is currently going through.London has shown us they have the military connections to make this show great, in hook we trust.
I know the USN always has issues getting combat assets up here, and that's been the way since, well, since the days of the mighty F-4.

I was hoping the Turks might send an F-4 last year, but then there was that whole border incursion thing, and I'm sure that put a damper on any foreign visits by them for a bit. As for the Collins (sorry, I got the foundation wrong!) I had heard that too. I just like to hope.

You're right, of course, that tempo, pilot shortage and the like all play a role, and I know they're doing their best. I'm very glad to hear them saying things are going to ramp up from this point on. It's just that Airshow Day is second only to Christmas for me, and it's getting to be the 11th hour. We lost the two warbirds and only got an F-86 in return, so I was getting a bit worried.

The Griffon and C-90 weren't on the ASL website when I checked this morning, so I only heard about them here. They're neat, but still not the afterburning, vortex-streaming, ground-shaking hardware most of us are hoping to see.

"In Hook we trust" you said? I agree. I'll leave it to him and the ASL crew. They do have a very good track record!
Last edited by Faust on Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:37 pm

I'd like to drop in my 2 cents if I may. This show is a military one, as in, they get stuff that normal shows just can't, due to the connections and relationships that the organizers (Hook) have developed over the years. Like Hook stated, we are a little over 2 months away till show time (66 days). I also think, that they are trying to "spice things up" by getting different aircraft to attend the show. The F-5 and F-86 are awesome, as it has that flair of jet noise and warbirds that will please many people.

As others have said, give the show a chance to get the additions rolling.

PS: While we're throwing the wishlists around, a B-52 would be epic ;) lol
0 x
Dan Gagnon

Return to “2018 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”