Abbotsford International Airshow 2018

Discussion relating to 2018 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
cf18hornet

Post by cf18hornet » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:13 am

Regarding the incident involving the Dragon Rapide I caught the last moments of the incident. There were some pretty strong crosswinds when the incident happened so I believe that was the issue. I was with my brother when I heard him gasp and when I turned to look all I saw was the aircraft nearly 90 degrees vertical to the runway while on takoeff roll. I then lost sight for a quick moment behind a lemonade stand before then seeing it nose into the ground. I sure do hope everyone on board is okay but it concerns me that two Helijet air ambulances were called in.

Now I'm not sure if this is in fact true but I did overhear three pilots talking that someone (presumably the pilot because it is nosed into the ground?) had lost a leg. Whether this is true or not I'm not sure. I sure hope its not and fingers crossed that everyone will be okay.

This is such a terrible way to end such an amazing airshow day.
Last edited by cf18hornet on Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:20 am

cf18hornet wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:13 am Now I'm not sure if this is in fact true but I did overhear three pilots talking that someone (presumably the pilot because it is nosed into the ground?) had lost a leg. Whether this is true or not I'm not sure. I sure hope its not and fingers crossed that everyone will be okay.
This is a rumour that seems to be spreading rapidly because a friend of mine that is currently still out there mentioned asking someone and they said that someone was trapped and lost a leg. I really hope this isn't true I can't imagine how tragic this is for everyone involved. I'm told that Transport Canada is already on scene and I'm assuming the airport will be shut down for quite a while while investigators do their thing.

I doubt it's much of an issue at this point but it's probably wise to move away from the airport area and give space to the crews working the scene. I'm sure it's probably a mess down there.
0 x

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:28 am

I looked at the aircraft from the other side. It definitely appears that the pilot was extracted as the damage looks to be quite a clean cut near the cockpit area.

Press conference coming soon. I’d have to say it’s unlikely the airshow will be able to continue tomorrow regardless of the condition of the people involved.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for pilot and passengers.
Last edited by Go4Long on Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:39 am

Go4Long wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:28 am I looked at the aircraft from the other side. It definitely appears that the pilot was extracted as the damage looks to be quite a clean cut near the cockpit area.

Press conference coming soon. I’d have to say it’s unlikely the airshow will be able to continue tomorrow regardless of the condition of the people involved.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for pilot and passengers.
It's early to say if the show will go on or not but I want to make it known that their have been incidents here at Abbotsford in the past that have been fatal and the show has still gone on. In 1973 there was the infamous CF-101 Voodoo explosion which left the pilots severely burned and injured. There was the incident of the Mini Mustang that came into the airfield after a 747-200 did a flyby and the wake vortex from the engines of the 747 made the Mini Mustang lose control and unfortunately the pilot (a 20 year old) lost his life. I'll try to keep everyone updated as the news comes out.
0 x

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:41 am

I’m more speaking on the location of the aircraft...it’s still partially on the runway.
Last edited by Go4Long on Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:52 am

Here's a picture of an incident here in 1980. Injuries occurred but after the investigation the show went on from what I know.

https://flic.kr/p/59tYy3

I guess it's understandable though that rules and regulations have changed after an aircraft incident. Luckily the aircraft didn't catch on fire and I guess it's quite possible that the show may not happen tomorrow, but that is all dependent on how fast the investigators get done with their work and how fast the aircraft is removed from the runway area.
Last edited by AirshowHawk on Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Chris Smallenberg

Post by Chris Smallenberg » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:55 am

YXX has posted on Twitter that they expect the airport to reopen at 9:00pm.
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:25 am

I want to provide some better insight now into the rumour regarding the amputation of the leg.

I'm being told that the rumour of the the leg incident started when someone mentioned to a few people at the airport that this is the first incident of a Dragon Rapide in years. Apparently the last widely known incident was in 1960 when a Rapide crashed shortly after takeoff in Denmark. The aircraft was chartered to transport soccer players and 8 of the passengers were killed with the pilot surviving but having one leg amputated. Rumours of this story may have been what caused the confusion.
Last edited by AirshowHawk on Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

Kanadian_Kerbal

Post by Kanadian_Kerbal » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:29 am

Just released from the Abbotsford Airshow official website regarding the incident, and the Sunday Show:
https://www.abbotsfordairshow.com/aircr ... show-ends/
0 x

RyanS

Post by RyanS » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:32 am

Kanadian_Kerbal wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:29 am Just released from the Abbotsford Airshow official website regarding the incident, and the Sunday Show:
https://www.abbotsfordairshow.com/aircr ... show-ends/
Thanks, I'll quote it here for reference (emphasis mine):
At 5:30 pm, shortly after the Airshow ended, Abbotsford International Airshow officials were notified of a crash on the Abbotsford International Airport runway. A 1930’s era biplane (deHaviland Dragon Rapide) crashed shortly after takeoff.

The occupants of the aircraft include the pilot and four adult passengers. All five on board have been taken to hospital by BC Ambulance Service by both air and road; three with non-life threatening injuries, one serious and one critical.

As the Abbotsford International Airshow has just completed for the day, many emergency resources were already in place and able to respond immediately.

The crash investigation is in the preliminary stages, and will be conducted by the Transportation Safety Board. Further enquiries regarding the crash are to be forwarded to the Transportation Safety Board.

At this time the Airport is closed and will be expected to reopen this evening around 9:00 pm. Further enquiries regarding Abbotsford Airport Operations are to be forwarded to the Airport Manager.

The Airshow will proceed as scheduled on Sunday.
Hawk, I guess that explains the capacity of the aircraft.
0 x
Ryan Sundheimer
www.AirshowStuff.com

Return to “2018 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”