Abbotsford International Airshow 2018

Discussion relating to 2018 airshows/fly-ins/exercises/other events. Post news before the event and post your photos afterwards! Please create only one thread per event.
Dan Gagnon

Post by Dan Gagnon » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:22 am

Everyone relax. Emotions are high, as everyone hates seeing this stuff. I personally didn't see anything wrong with what cf18hornet said. He also said it, with respect and used the proper wording imo, to tell what HE himself had heard. It's not a case of "my best friend's sister has a best friend who heard..."

I actually think it is way more disrespectful to release names of persons involved, without proof or fact, then what was stated here.

Let's stop the bickering, and hope everyone is ok, and look forward to the show tomorrow.
0 x
Dan Gagnon

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:18 am

Latest update now confirms only 1 person is in critical condition.

According to a friend of mine from the media, the things mentioned earlier may actually not be rumours after all..
0 x

mkixspit

Post by mkixspit » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:26 pm

The loss or damage to such a beautiful and rare aircraft is awful enough, but with casualties is obviously tragic. On the heels of the Bluebonnet Belle crash and the horrible Ju-52 crash in Switzerland last week, it's been a rough year for vintage passenger flights. Hope everyone in Abbotsford makes a full recovery.
0 x

AirshowHawk

Post by AirshowHawk » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:49 am

Well for those of you who are still out of the loop, the pilot of the Rapide has now officially been identified as John Sessions, the owner of HFF.

Also confirms he was one of the people airlifted. My thoughts and prayers go out to John, he's a great guy and an amazing pilot. Wishing him, and everyone else on board that flight a speedy recovery and my well wishes go out to his family.

https://www.abbynews.com/news/u-s-fligh ... how-crash/
Last edited by AirshowHawk on Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Chris Smallenberg

Post by Chris Smallenberg » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:06 am

JA Boomer wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:44 am -What a brief fireworks display to honour Dan Beaucanon. Couldn't they have dedicated the whole fireworks to Dan and worked that song into the display? I thought it bordered on disrespect.
Thought I would provide a bit more insight on the Dan Buchanan tribute. The reason the fireworks tribute was short and separate was because the fireworks display was
done using Dan’s own unused fireworks for his future displays that would now never happen. A very appropriate and respectful tribute I’d say.
0 x

Arctic Fox

Post by Arctic Fox » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:47 am

Chris Smallenberg wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:06 am
JA Boomer wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:44 am -What a brief fireworks display to honour Dan Beaucanon. Couldn't they have dedicated the whole fireworks to Dan and worked that song into the display? I thought it bordered on disrespect.
Thought I would provide a bit more insight on the Dan Buchanan tribute. The reason the fireworks tribute was short and separate was because the fireworks display was
done using Dan’s own unused fireworks for his future displays that would now never happen. A very appropriate and respectful tribute I’d say.
Thanks so much for sharing this! So glad I could be there to see it!
0 x

JA Boomer

Post by JA Boomer » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:22 pm

Chris Smallenberg wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:06 am
Huh. Well that's makes a lot more sense. That wasn't clear during the show.

Regarding my Friday complaints, after sitting in traffic for over two hours and missing the Blues performance, I was in a sour, angry mood, and it tainted the rest of the day.

Saturday and Sunday were wonderful and we all throughout enjoyed the weekend flying and statics.

A-10 and Super Hornets came around for a flyby so Monday is shaping up good so far as well.
Last edited by JA Boomer on Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Viper93

Post by Viper93 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:51 pm

Pretty interesting departure day. I missed the Hogs and Super Hornet's flyby, but was able to catch them from my home. I got to Huntington at 8:30. Blue Angels takeoff was very loud. CF-18 demo jet was extremely loud. There were 3 CT-155 Hawks. I thought we only had 1 here. F-16's were pretty good. Fat Albert took of twice, and landed both times. Something must be wrong with him. We got a flyby from each Hercules aircraft, pretty cool. On another note, does anyone know what all that colored smoke was by the runway yesterday? Looked like the Skyhawks were emptying their canisters or something.
Last edited by Viper93 on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Arctic Fox

Post by Arctic Fox » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:57 pm

Viper93 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:51 pm ...On another note, does anyone know what all that colored smoke was by the runway yesterday? Looked like the Skyhawks were emptying their canisters or something.
The announcer said they couldn't take the smoke canisters on the plane with them and so had to just burn them off.
0 x

cf18hornet

Post by cf18hornet » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:09 pm

Viper93 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:51 pm Pretty interesting departure day. I missed the Hogs and Super Hornet's flyby, but was able to catch them from my home. I got to Huntington at 8:30.
I got it all on video this morning and will post a short departure video as quickly as possible.
0 x

Return to “2018 Airshows/Fly-Ins/Exercises/Events - Discussion and Photos”